Thread: CURRENT upper/middle Kenai conditions --

Question CURRENT upper/middle Kenai conditions --

in light of all the rain this week, anyone have any intel on what the river is looking like right now? Hoping its not totally blown out as planning to float the upper and middle this weekend. Just curious to know what to expect.

Anyone who mentions the phrase "commercial fishing" for any reason is automatically voted off the island ...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by chumstik View Post
    in light of all the rain this week, anyone have any intel on what the river is looking like right now? Hoping its not totally blown out as planning to float the upper and middle this weekend. Just curious to know what to expect.

Anyone who mentions the phrase "commercial fishing" for any reason is automatically voted off the island ...

Thanks!
    Word from the gang down there is "Not too high, a little cloudy". Water level is certainly up, but far from blown out.

I'll be headed down myself later on. Best of luck.

Oh, and another word from eyes on the ground states it "looks like the commercial fishing crowd missed a BUNCH"...

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

These links will give you an idea.
    I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    The only place I have really seen it dirty is below the Killey when there is a lot of rainfall or the upper when there is an ice dam burst above Kenai Lake. In my years of coming up to AK I have never not been able to fish the upper because of water clarity.
    Have fun and be safe on the roads!!!

Upper River: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?15258000

Skilak outlet: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ak/nwis/uv...cd=00065,00060

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Oh, and another word from eyes on the ground states it "looks like the commercial fishing crowd missed a BUNCH"...

I heard that too.

That's why there is a commercial opener on Skilak this weekend!!!!

Thanks!!! Really appreciate the heads up -- sounds like it will be a great weekend. Last week the water was almost a little TOO clear ... I actually saw a dolly come up, look at my bead in the water, and turn around ha ha. A little turbidity will help, give 'em less time to contemplate things

see ya on the river!

Quote Originally Posted by chumstik View Post
    Thanks!!! Really appreciate the heads up -- sounds like it will be a great weekend. Last week the water was almost a little TOO clear ... I actually saw a dolly come up, look at my bead in the water, and turn around ha ha. A little turbidity will help, give 'em less time to contemplate things

see ya on the river!
    I watched a few trout inspect my split shot last night, about 6 times... I was just below the ferry. Got 3 chrome fish but I definately worked for them. Most people around me didn't have any, a few guys had one or a few blushed fish.

Fishable but not epic by any stretch of the imagination, for keepers anyway. I had a great time fighting big red ones though!

Fished the Russian and below the powerline this morning. The Russian had way more fisherpeople than fish, below the powerline wasn't much better.