Thread: Seward Silver Salmon Derby Aug 13-21

Default Seward Silver Salmon Derby Aug 13-21

Any one else considering giving it a shot from a Yak? As close as the silvers have been this year, I think I am going to give it a shot maybe one day per weekend.

Anyone else have any interest?

http://directory.seward.com/events/d...r-salmon-derby

I think I am going to "test" fish Sunday 8/7 (tomorrow). Try a few things. I hear I better prep for rain! My "hope" is to wake up early hit it hard until I get too cold.

Anyone else? Anyone? lol.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

I can't make this one .I'm on the slope til the 22nd.Hopefully you can hook-up with some other "yakkers" on here to fish with.Maybe you'll find that $50,000 silver.Best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    I think I am going to "test" fish Sunday 8/7 (tomorrow). Try a few things. I hear I better prep for rain! My "hope" is to wake up early hit it hard until I get too cold.

Anyone else? Anyone? lol.
    Weather and seas permitting, I'm there with my IK. I'm not crazy about getting out there on the weekend with all the power boats the first two days of the derby, so I'm shooting for the 19th. The only problem with the derby is that I think you need a witness if you catch one you want to enter. At least, that's how it is in Whittier and, I think, in Valdez so I never bother entering either derby (not even sure if Whittier pays anything!). Maybe someone else has better information on this.

Here's the offical rules page: http://www.seward.com/news-events/derby/Derby%20Rules.pdf

T
    he only mention of a witness is for a charter captain to register as a witness so that a ticketed derby entranyt can fish on a charter vessel where other participants haven't bought a ticket. So I think a Kayak is good to go.

I know what you mean about the traffic. I survived Non-motorized Monday on the Kenai with a BUNCH of dipnetters in fully loaded boats cruising up and down the river. Wakes from close by traffic is definitely something different than even a much larger normal swell.

I may just do this.

Got the reply from the chamber. No witness required. Same for shore fishers.
    ------------------
    Hi Rudy,
    You don’t need a witness, just as someone fishing from shore wouldn’t need a witness.
    Maybe those folks were referring to when there was a prize offered for largest fish caught from a kayak.
    We don’t have that prize this year, but do offer many others.
    Be sure to buy your derby ticket, and good luck!

~Cindy

Cindy Clock
    Executive Director

Seward Chamber of Commerce

Awesome. If the seas and wind aren't too brutal I'll get a ticket and get out there. I'm throwing back anything under 19 pounds, of course. Unless they're tagged, that is.

Thanks for the information on this. Fish or no fish it should be fun.

So far so good..... Keep in mind, most of the time the wind is from the South and that area seems fairly well sheltered thanks to Caines Head. I think it would take some awful nasty wind to keep me from fishing the "close in" spots. I think my strategy at least day one is to just hit the areas I have test fished and were productive. Will likely troll MUCH more than usual. I prefer mooching though.

A couple of other changes I plan on making is on a two hook rig, I typically like using a LONG hang back hook. It's amazing how many of the fish are hooked on the back hook that is often 2 to 3 feet behind the first hook. But, I am going to shorten it way down and use bigger hooks. I catch too many (the one prize winner is one too many) fish where they are hooked in the mouth on the front hook but the second hook is hooked down in its side. I don't want the fish to be disqualified due to "snag marks". I also will likely deploy my largest flashers and at least have access to heavy divers that I typically use for saltwater King fishing. I don't use them on a kayak much due to the extra drag. But in the case of tournament its all about the ability to catch fish. Not about comfort, sportiness, or ease of fishing.

I plan on using my BIG gear. Shimano jigging rod, Avet sx loaded with 50 pound power pro, and I'll start with 30 pound flourocarbon leader. Nothing sporting about it. But I want to land every fish I hook and quickly. To me derby fishing is fun in a odd way because I fish almost 100% differently than when I am fishing for recreation. Also always have a second rod ready. As soon as your fish hits the net and is out of the water, free spool and mooch (or for us Hobie owners you could continue to troll!) while dealing with the fish on board. I'll use a Berkeley gulp product for the second rod so its always ready to go in an instant. It's not just the extra minute or two of fishing you gain, but typically since you are battling a fish, the school is likely around you and are aggressive after watching one of them smack a bait.

oops..way too long! But this should be great! Bibico and anyone else thinking about it...if ya like shoot me a PM description and I'll look for ya!

.TODAY...N WIND 10 KT INCREASING TO 20 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 2 FT OR LESS BUILDING TO 4 FT IN THE AFTERNOON. .TONIGHT...N WIND 25 KT. SEAS 5 FT. .THU...N WIND 25 KT. SEAS 5 FT. .THU NIGHT AND FRI...N WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT. .SAT AND SUN...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.