Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: talked to the smartest dangerious pilot the other day

Default talked to the smartest dangerious pilot the other day

The wife and I were headed over to Homer the other day and another aircraft reported south bound at Bara Bara Creek. I asked " south bound A/C where are you?". He responded "don't you know where Bara Bara Creek is?" I said "No." He then started to explain how I could find it as a creek to flows into the ocean. Please note we are still closing at 200 Kts+. The name of the creek is Barabara Creek, I've heard it called a few names that werer close, but always close enough to know the place. The guy informed me he had been in the area 25 years and that was how it was pronounched, stupid me.
    Well my point, This fellow thought he was smarter than everybody else flying down here and was intend on showing us his brillance. That streach of coast is very busy as its the route to three villages and countless flights ,three airtaxis and pvt. A/C. I have alway found reinventing the wheel like this is the same thing as the "watch this" I'm going to do something stupid syndrome. On the heels of recent mid-airs involving good pilots we need to drop the ego stuff and try to fit in with proven practices and proceedures. Getting where were going safe is the only thing that get points awarded. My 2C, Tom

So is it bara bara creek or barabara creek because those would sound exactly the same to me over a radio?
    Sounds like you need to brush up on your geography if people can't describe things to you without an audible spacebar.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    So is it bara bara creek or barabara creek because those would sound exactly the same to me over a radio?
    Sounds like you need to brush up on your geography if people can't describe things to you without an audible spacebar.
    ...they are pronounced totally different from each other, though you wouldn't know it from the spelling...

barah barah vs bah-rahbuhrah? try explaining it phonetically for us. Just curious what the difference is.

thanks,
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Think about how you pronounce "Bora-Bora" island.

Now compare that to the female name, Barbara as in "Barbara Walters"
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    barah barah vs bah-rahbuhrah? try explaining it phonetically for us. Just curious what the difference is.

thanks,
    Your phonetic pronunciations are correct.... there's a Barabara (buh-ra- buh-rah)(accent on the second syllable--"a" sounds like the "a" in "cat") Hill on Kodiak Island (and I called it "Barbara" (like a woman's name) Hill when I first flew there until I was corrected by local pilots).

See the Camai book: barabara- An earth and timber dwelling built partly underground. Also a sod house.

Brother Tom is correct, I ran into the same problem coming into Anchorage when one of the controllers corrected my proper pronunciation as I reported over Barabara Lake, to Bara-Bara Lake. He took up a bunch of time doing it. Since I have only been here since the Eisenhower administration, (when I was born)... I did not argue with his superior FAA imparted knowledge.

However by Alaskans it is pronounced "bear-ob (rhymes with bob)-bar-raw

A barabara (also called an ulax) was the traditional dwellingused by the indigenous people of the Aleutian Islands. It lay partially underground, and most of the house was excavated from the dirt so as to withstand the high forces of wind.

From Websters

ba·ra·ba·ra

noun \ˌbärəˈbärə\
    -s

Definition of BARABARA

: a sod or turf hut of northern Siberia or of Alaska; esp : a hut of the Aleutian islanders built partly or wholly underground

Variants of BARABARA

ba·ra·ba·ra or ba·ra·bo·ra
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

And in the vein of "you say toe-may-toe, I say toe-mot-toe", in southeast, Baranof Island is pronounced "BEAR-uh-noff" but in Kodiak they pronounce Baranof Straits as "Buh-RON-off". Go figure!

And is it Creek, sounds like meek, or Creek sounds like rick??
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    And is it Creek, sounds like meek, or Creek sounds like rick??
    Now don't you go making fun of the east coasters and their cricks.....c is a hard C.....K-ri-cks. Growing up for me it was always the crick, as I travelled in my career, it became creek as most didn't know any good trout fishing cricks.

I guess the point was that if knowbody else knows where you are what good is reporting it. This guy claimed he had been around for 25 years , he would know how everybody pronouned it and go with the program or shut up and bore on thru space in your own little world and hope for the best maybe thru the grace of god and blind luck you won't kill anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Now don't you go making fun of the east coasters and their cricks.....c is a hard C.....K-ri-cks. Growing up for me it was always the crick, as I travelled in my career, it became creek as most didn't know any good trout fishing cricks.
    Way back there in yestereyear, we mid-westerners had runs, cricks, creeks, and rivers. Each was of a different size. None included springs or trickles, of course ....................

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    The wife and I were headed over to Homer the other day and another aircraft reported south bound at Bara Bara Creek. I asked " south bound A/C where are you?". He responded "don't you know where Bara Bara Creek is?" I said "No." He then started to explain how I could find it as a creek to flows into the ocean. Please note we are still closing at 200 Kts+. The name of the creek is Barabara Creek, I've heard it called a few names that werer close, but always close enough to know the place. The guy informed me he had been in the area 25 years and that was how it was pronounched, stupid me.
    Well my point, This fellow thought he was smarter than everybody else flying down here and was intend on showing us his brillance. That streach of coast is very busy as its the route to three villages and countless flights ,three airtaxis and pvt. A/C. I have alway found reinventing the wheel like this is the same thing as the "watch this" I'm going to do something stupid syndrome. On the heels of recent mid-airs involving good pilots we need to drop the ego stuff and try to fit in with proven practices and proceedures. Getting where were going safe is the only thing that get points awarded. My 2C, Tom
    So you're an advocate of position reporting only when somebody pronounces names precisely the way you believe they should be pronounced? Being a little nit-picky, aren't you? Communication takes two. You probably had a very good idea of what he meant. That's the point, isn't it?

No its not the point, I didn't know what he meant nor did I have a good or for that matter any idea what he meant or where he was or I wouldn't have asked him where he was because I'm not a smart asx when I fly. It is also quite obvious the two of us are not communicateing, I take my leave on this note.

Quote Originally Posted by northbird1 View Post
    And in the vein of "you say toe-may-toe, I say toe-mot-toe", in southeast, Baranof Island is pronounced "BEAR-uh-noff" but in Kodiak they pronounce Baranof Straits as "Buh-RON-off". Go figure!
    I thought it was "toe-mah-toe"...... and while we're at it why is Tanana Tanana but Nenana is Nenana!?

Default Even odder

Why is Chisana pronounced Shushana? And then there is Bristol Bay and western Alaska with all of the Eskimo place names like Ungalukthluk and many more which if pronounced with correct native pronunciation, are difficult for the average non-native speaker to articulate properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Monguse View Post
    Why is Chisana pronounced Shushana? And then there is Bristol Bay and western Alaska with all of the Eskimo place names like Ungalukthluk and many more which if pronounced with correct native pronunciation, are difficult for the average non-native speaker to articulate properly.
    Yes! And why is Kvichak pronounced kweejak?

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    I thought it was "toe-mah-toe"...... and while we're at it why is Tanana Tanana but Nenana is Nenana!?
    Well, in Texas it would be "tuh-may-ter"

Or in plural..........................."may-ters" LOL

So in Texas potato would be....''po-tay-ter''?

And what about ''cla-may-ter'' juice?!

-akiceman25
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast