Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DCUA atv ride

Default DCUA atv ride

I know the DCUA closed today to motorized access but I am looking to go there to ride and hang out with some buds next weekend, not to hunt.

The regs say "The area is closed to any motorized vehicle or pack animal for big game hunting, including the transportation of big game hunters, their hunting gear and/or the parts of big game, Aug 5-25." I'm taking this to mean that as long i'm not doing any of the above that I am allowed to ride my wheeler in there. Anyone ever rode in there while it was closed to motorized access and had any issues with the law?

If you are a licensed hunter I would not take a hunting rifle or anything to do with hunting. No cammo. Heck take a radio and strap it on. Wear bright orange or tie dye.

Also park away from the others in camp.. No blood / hair / brain on the wheeler. Keep your food separate. Take out only your trash. Only use the wheeler to get there and for leaving.

Expect to be reported by other hunters and checked by troopers.
    Personally I wouldn't do it but IMHO it is legal.

If you're not hunting, the hunting regulations don't apply to you. Why would you even be looking in the hunting regs in the first place to see that it's closed to motorized use?

Go for it. Don't bring anything along that might suggest you're hunting/supporting other hunters.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Having a hunting license and a firearm in possesion is not an indictment of hunting activity.

Everything else that junkak says I agree with. I would expect contact from a Trooper over the ATV, but then again the burden of proof is in the hands of the prosecutorial side...

If you decide to take the trip as you describe be sure you do NOTHING to aid the hunters in transporting ANYTHING WHATSOEVER, not even a candy wrapper. If Troopers are contacted you will be watched at a distance and observed. Imagine one of your buddies is thirsty and doesn't feel like digging for his water bottle, you have one strapped top your ATV rack, without even thinking about it your buddy walks over, takes the water bottle and has a drink. You both just commited a violation.

I can see far too many possibilities for your intentions no matter how well planned or innocent they mey be to turn and bite you on the rear.

I think that a bit extreme, I would not have a rifle only because it痴 not needed. If I was approached by a Trooper or anyone asking what I知 doing or what I知 hunting I would say very loudly I知 not hunting. The reason for talking loudly is you are being recorded. I would then say, we are running late and need to go. If he tries to stop you or tries to delay you, tell him your doing nothing wrong, if you have any more question talk to my lawyer, and leave.

Why that area during a drawing hunt period? There are plenty of other places to ride where the possibility of disrupting a draw hunt is not present. Go a little further south to Summit of Fielding Lake.

John, not clear if you and buddies are all planning to ride out together or you want to ride out to visit buddies already there. What if you see a nice bear? Can't take it. Imagine though you guys would still carry rifles or something for bear protection...you are setting yourselves up for other hunters to report you and then a visit by Troopers.

All in all, while sure it's legal to ride out there if it has nothing to do with hunting, I'd think hard about what you may put other hunters and troopers through.

[Addendum: John I just had another thought. If you do decide to ride out there, maybe contact Trooper Quist there in Fbks ahead of time and let him know what is going on. Might even call him first to get his thoughts. They probably already saw this thread <grin>]

If you're not hunting you're not hunting simple as that I'd just go. As far as carrying firearms, you're a citizen of the United States you have the right to bear arms. If you want to strap on 2 side arms, sling a rifle over your shoulder and throw a shotgun in the gun boot no one should be able to say a thing as long as you're not hunting. If you enjoy riding your wheeler which I assume you do, you shouldn't have to worry about how you might make someone else in the field feel as long as what you're doing is legal. If someone endures hardship cause you're riding your wheeler carrying a gun then that's a pretty simple weak individual. You can call the troopers ahead of time if you want but that opens up its own can of worms and is a good way to ruin a fun trip because of the potential for harassment and untill you hunt off your wheeler you're not breaking the law. Go have fun, I wish I was riding my wheeler up there this weekend.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough when I made this post and my apologies for that. I am not going to visiting anybody that is hunting out there, we are all going to meet there to ride, cut some fire wood for our camp and just basically hang out. When I'm not hunting, I always carry my 44 and will do so on this trip. Mark, i'm probably going to contact the troopers just to be safe but honestly, I really shouldn't have too. Anyways, thanks everyone for your input, you all pretty much had the same thoughts as I did on this.

I tried contacting my trooper friend on this that would know, but he must be out and about. I remember some people being cited last fall for this, so make sure you get an answer first.

Well, my take on your proposal is that there is legal, and then there is morally right vs. wrong. I think what you are proposing is probably legal, especially if you take all of the precautions that others before me have discussed.

However, my opinion is it is very much the wrong thing to do. Many good people put in for that walk-in hunt every year, probably because they enjoy that type of hunt, without the distractions and noise of four wheelers running around and through their hunt. They probably spent many weeks planning and getting in shape for that hunt, only to have several people on four wheelers ride through their hunt.

I own four wheelers and enjoy them as much as the next guy for hunts where they are legal to be used and it seems like more and more areas are being closed to the use of motorized vehicles. I think if you do this all you will do is make a lot of people mad, cause the troopers to fly a helicopter out to investigate you as the complaints come in on Sat phones, give four wheelers a bad name, and push more people towards trying to outlaw the use of motorized vehicles in more areas.

There is a lot of space in Alaska to ride and enjoy your ATV's. You need to find somewhere other than the Delta CUA to ride that weekend.

Go for it, John.
    Here's my 2 cents worth.............
    1. Do not bring the hunt license. Your not hunting, don't need it. If asked, again, your not hunting, can't legally hunt, don't need a license.
    2. Call Fbks F&W protection and INVITE them to stop by. Tell them what your doing and why your doing it, and where your doing it. Dishonest folks don't call and invite LEOs to stop by.
    Have a good time and drink a beer for us who can't be there. The only thing you owe anyone is to be legal. Get a pile of wood for the camp too.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

If your camp is used for hunting after you leave you will probally be in violation(cutting wood)

And, he has a "DCUA Sheep Tag" in his pocket. A detail of his ATV ride that he 'purposely' left out. I wouldn't risk that tag over some Firewood. If it were me. Could be considered "Staging" a camp.

I was told by a fish n feathers Leo that driving into a no motor cua then later hunting it would definitely be a violation. If you have a tag I would find a different place to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I think that a bit extreme, I would not have a rifle only because it痴 not needed. If I was approached by a Trooper or anyone asking what I知 doing or what I知 hunting I would say very loudly I知 not hunting. The reason for talking loudly is you are being recorded. I would then say, we are running late and need to go. If he tries to stop you or tries to delay you, tell him your doing nothing wrong, if you have any more question talk to my lawyer, and leave.
    Why do we have to squint to read your posts? Up your font size a bit for the folks over 40ish or otherwise optically impaired......

The prohibition against motor vehicle use, in regards to the DCUA, per the current and past regulation, is, in bold print, against big game hunters and big game hunting only. The big game exclusion is specific. You would be completely legal to pack a hunting license and firearm of your choice to harvest small game in the DCUA while riding an ATV, would you not? The DCUA is a large area and in that area there are suitable areas for motor vehicles use that would not interfere with the coming DCUA sheep hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I know the DCUA closed today to motorized access but I am looking to go there to ride and hang out with some buds next weekend, not to hunt.

The regs say "The area is closed to any motorized vehicle or pack animal for big game hunting, including the transportation of big game hunters, their hunting gear and/or the parts of big game, Aug 5-25." I'm taking this to mean that as long i'm not doing any of the above that I am allowed to ride my wheeler in there. Anyone ever rode in there while it was closed to motorized access and had any issues with the law?
    AK,
    Read the first 8 words as you quoted them. End of discussion. Bring your ID for the citation.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    And, he has a "DCUA Sheep Tag" in his pocket. A detail of his ATV ride that he 'purposely' left out. I wouldn't risk that tag over some Firewood. If it were me. Could be considered "Staging" a camp.
    Yeah, I left that out because it has no bearing what so ever on this ride. I've hunted this area for over 14 years so I know the lay of the land and where the sheep are, no need for me to waste time trying to locate them. This is a time for me to get together with some friends from Fairbanks and hang out, have a few beers. Accusatory posts are not needed, I wanted information on the legailty of what i'm trying to do and I got my answers. It will be a fun ride.

Call the Troopers and ask them. I wasn't accusing you of anything except leaving out important details. If you are going in to work on your camp and cut wood it could be considered illegal. I wouldn't do it. But, thats just me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast