Thread: Fuglvog

Default Fuglvog

http://www.habitatmedia.org/EOEN_int...lvog.arne.html

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...atters-america

Think it's fair to say that Arnie wasn't listening with an open mind to all of that sportfish testimony back when he sat on the NPFMC? As someone who was recently considered to head up NMFS, I think it's a good guess that he probably had a little influence in the formation of what came out of the council over the past ten or more years...

Excellent piece by Medred.

Huge black mark on the entire commercial fleet and our system of faith and trust in them to honestly report catches.

Default No monopoly on dishonesty . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Excellent piece by Medred.

Huge black mark on the entire commercial fleet and our system of faith and trust in them to honestly report catches.
    Indeed, Mark, but anyone who thinks one user group or other is more or less virtuous these days is, well . . delusional. Under-reporting commercial catch, pooling the catch on a halibut charter . . the beat goes on . . and on . . Heck, even Medred himself got tagged a couple years back.

People of all stripes and persuasions are greedy. And all act innocent until they get caught with their hand in the cookie jar. There are always those who will stick up for others' misdeeds. Even mass murderers have their defenders and women who want to marry them. "Oh he's a good guy, just made a mistake that's all."

A couple years ago a local trooper from Cordova went to Chitna for a check on the upriver personal use and sports fisheries with a couple other troopers. When he came back he said he finally had to quit writing tickets when he ran out of tickets to write on. No user group is free of cheats. Quit painting all of a user group for the misdeeds of a few. Just hold all cheats responsible no matter what group they belong to and quit making excuses for them.

As for Arne, he was turned in by former crewmen from what I understand.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

I suppose I should clarify my previous post. In no way did I mean to infer that all (or most) commercial fisherman are cheats, or that the comm fleet is all bad. But just like when we have a negative incident with any group it gives a black mark on the entire group, and in this case since Fuglvog held such a high level of clout and power and responsibility...it's much more damaging in terms of perception of what is going on.

It is not entirely "perception". Much of it deals in real facts, real facts that will not be publicly revealed, due to the plea deal. A lot of very good reasons why State Attorneys took so long to work out the details and come to a resolution that would not reach beyond the obvious. For those so naive as to think this is an isolated incident and a single guy got caught with his hand in the cookie jar....well....la lala la la la. You and I will never know the related facts and make no mistake, this entire mess took months to orchestrate. Nothing here was by happenchance...rest assured.
    Yeah Yeah...the res is going off on yet another of his conspiracy tangents....And Yeah....he don't like plea bargains either!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Cool Perceptions . .

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    I suppose I should clarify my previous post. In no way did I mean to infer that all (or most) commercial fisherman are cheats, or that the comm fleet is all bad. But just like when we have a negative incident with any group it gives a black mark on the entire group, and in this case since Fuglvog held such a high level of clout and power and responsibility...it's much more damaging in terms of perception of what is going on.
    Well said, Mark . . . . . perception is reality for many.

My "reality" tells me there is much much much more to the story, that we will never hear, due to the Plea Bargain that effectively silenced the siren.
    But, I am one of those that thought Nixon was a crook and Clinton inhaled too. Sooooo....maybe, ??? Naw....couldn't be.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I agree bushrat. A black mark indeed. As you know, we should not conclude that one man's actions represent all. If Fuglvog did taint the process, remember that the NPFMC must still concur with NMFS, NOAA, and that both our Secretary of State and Secretary of Commerce must approve regulation. A Fuglvog conspiracy theory would have to run deep.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

He sould have to forfiet all his IFQ's too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    He sould have to forfiet all his IFQ's too!!!
    I agree. Looks like he cut a sweet deal though. He get's to keep his boat, and his shares, and likely he'll be back out there next year.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I agree. Looks like he cut a sweet deal though. He get's to keep his boat, and his shares, and likely he'll be back out there next year.
    His Q's and boat are already gone guys.

Quote Originally Posted by AKJOB View Post
    His Q's and boat are already gone guys.
    Yes it is and involved in other nefarious misdeeds no doubt. It belongs to Fuglvog's ex wife. Be sure to read the comments on this post........ http://deckboss-thebrig.blogspot.com...sablefish.html
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Interesting- a $100,000 theft, and receives 5 months in jail, plus ordered to pay it back.

That just shows the love that others have for the Fuglvog's! It is also a wake up call about NOAA Fisheries Management, we almost had Arne Fuglvog working fisheries Management, that would be like Charles Manson running a day care! It might be time to clean house! It's sad to say but I don't think he is, or was the worst offender that would have been, or is working in Fisheries Management at the fed or state level!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    ...It belongs to Fuglvog's ex wife. Be sure to read the comments on this post........ http://deckboss-thebrig.blogspot.com...sablefish.html
    Interesting. Lot's of allegations there. His (ex?)wife now has the boat... Hmmm.
    #Resist

That boat should belong to the Alaska State Troopers, or be the new NOAA recearch and test fishery boat! If not use for enforcement it should be sold at public auction!