Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most commonly forgotten item.

Default Most commonly forgotten item.

All these lists of gear... it's great. I began making mine on the first. Jeremiah and I spent an hour and a half at lunch listing every item we think we need. It's doubled since then as we steadily remember things we forgot to put on the list.

I know that even if I check every item off of the list, we'll still forget something...just nothing on the list. Whats the most common thing you forget?

Toilet paper is a common one. Last year we got a flat tire and realized we had a spare tire but no jack. Another classic one is firewood, propane, whatever for stove/campfire but no lighter. Those of you on four wheelers, remember to turn the fuel to 'ON'. That can soak up time but it's a funny relief when you figure it out. It also seems like whatever you do, you dont have enough rope or tie downs to tie up whatever you intended.

From funny to life-threatening, what is the most common thing or the worst thing you have ever forgotten? (this should be fun)
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Chapstick!!!!

For me it is a tie between the camera, and batteries. If I remember the camera, I will forget to bring extra batteries. If I have extra batteries packed and stowed away, I will inevitably leave the camera sitting on the counter or somewhere out in the open. The funny thing is I usually put the electronics together in the same wp bag and I have never failed to bring my gps or spare batteries for it.

I normally forget something, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is right now...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

it used to be TP, but now its prolly rope
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

First trip to Kodiak we were trying to save weight so "combined" our stuff to bring. My partner had a new fancy camera that videod as well as still photos-- got to Kodiak for fly out to camp and discovered it wouldn't hold a charge. I had to buy a camera there at 10 pm at night before flying! Still use that camera today. And Robert has since bought several more video cameras. The only one that seems to work all the time takes these mini disks..... He has forgotten the disks on several hunts. We laugh at it after the hunt and usually harass him a little (you know- "Boy, sure would have been a great video!").

Chris

Dang! I forgot about cameras, even in this post. I never bring the camera. The moose I got in 09' we got a pic only because Jeremiah's uncle had a camera. Last year we had a camera but got no moose. Curses!
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I always seem to forget my glasses. Everybody is pointing out the caribou walking up to me, and I can't see him.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

The worst I ever forgot was my bullets. Hunted all day, made a perfect stalk to 30 yards on a nice buck and......click. no bullets in gun, and worse yet, I'd left my pack with bullets in it down the hill when I made the stalk. Not sure who was more surprised, me or the buck.

Most common thing I forget is TP. But I'm pretty used to moss by now.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

We remembered my daughter's rifle and two kinds of ammunition but not the magazines. She got along ok with her single-shot rifle and I remembered why some people really hate detachable mags.

Coffee. Me, I don't drink it much but tried to have some for my friends. One time, made it out the driveway and realized I had forgot the coffee. Then returned to the house to get the coffee but then forgot the percolator. Others are in charge of their coffee now.

A pillow,when I do take it I end up leaving it in a hotel room on the way home.
    I know of a couple of animals I wish I could forget.

A co-worker had always wanted to make a trip into the wilds of Canada - he was 55 at the time - so I wanted to check out a possible moose hunt outfitters set up and we booked a week of fly in fishing in remote Ontario. As it happened we went in 7 days after the 9/11 attacks - it was a mess getting all the stranded people out that had been stuck after all the flights were cancelled and only 2 days before we arrived had the pilots been allowed to fly I believe. So, it was rather rushed at the dock to get all loaded and in the rush I left 1 small pack in my vehicle - well a week with no sugar, sweetner, salt or pepper and matches for the woodburner got real old!!!
    So, even if you pack well dbl check that you don't leave a bag at the last minute someplace!

Left our bug nets once on a moose hunt as well - thought it was going to be cold enough - WRONG!!!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Rubber gloves when it comes to cuttin up the animal when it's down. I have forgotten them TWICE once just left them At the jeep and the other i forgot to get completely

STRESS. I always seem to forget to bring it, when I go into the bush.

14 DAY HUNT IN kODIAK...... forgot underware change, only pair I had was what was on me !!!!! Luckly my partner had some he let me have (unused) of course LOL
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I normally forget something, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is right now...
    Haha, beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    STRESS. I always seem to forget to bring it, when I go into the bush.
    Yes Sir !

I forgot the slings to mine and my wifes' rifle one moose hunt, but I did remedy that by weaving two slings from a roll of 550 cord and some stainless steel safety wire I had along. They turned out to be very comfortable.

Binoculars...never used them much til hunting in AK. Occasionally while I'm hunting back in Michigan, I'll forget them back at camp.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Negative, pessimistic attitude!!! Regardless of where you're from, what your beliefs are, who you're married to, what your criminal record is or how your hunt has less than a 5% success rate you trudge off with a 50+ lb. pack with the most excitement, optimism and care free attitude you've had since the last time you donned your hunting boots (regardless of what brand they are).

Cellphone. "Oops, sorry Honey, I couldn't call you cause I forgot my cellphone!"
    I did go to an island to camp and found out my bear gun was unloaded once. Didn't see any bears though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast