Thread: Bent anchor ring

Question Bent anchor ring

I have been using the same groundgear for 3 seasons now. Just the past two trips out I have bent 2 different anchor pulling rings into oval shapes. Not sure why this is happening now when it never did the past two years? Any ideas, solutions, or comments are appreciated.
    Using 40ft of 5/16 chain and a 7.5 kilo bruce style anchor.

That is odd, are you using a larger buoy? I have the same setup but with 30 foot of 1/4 chain and same size anchor using an A2 buoy. I would think the buoy is the limiting factor as to how much stress is applied to the anchor. I noticed this year we pulled up more kelp and seaweed; this pulled the buoy down and took more power and time to get the anchor up but have never bent a ring.
    Do you just swap out the ring or straighten it out? I believe the anchor rings are tempered, once tempered steal gives it will usually never retains its original shape if stressed the same.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
    I have been using the same groundgear for 3 seasons now. Just the past two trips out I have bent 2 different anchor pulling rings into oval shapes. Not sure why this is happening now when it never did the past two years? Any ideas, solutions, or comments are appreciated.
    Using 40ft of 5/16 chain and a 7.5 kilo bruce style anchor.
    Same has happened to me till I got a solid ring from B&J, the open rings won't last long.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

I did straighten out the first one that bent. Had a new spare so just swapped them out. Now I have two spares.
    I think SkinnyRaven probably has the answer that will work for me. How do you apply the solid ring to the rode if its solid? Do you keeep it on permanently and have a way to secure it when not in use?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
    I did straighten out the first one that bent. Had a new spare so just swapped them out. Now I have two spares.
    I think SkinnyRaven probably has the answer that will work for me. How do you apply the solid ring to the rode if its solid? Do you keeep it on permanently and have a way to secure it when not in use?
    I leave it on and the line length from the ring to the buoy is just long enough to stow in the bow, or you could use a stainless clip from the buoy line to the ring.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

LFS in Bellingham sells a stainless "Seine Ring" that's made from 5/8" SS bar stock. It won't bend. It's also probably cheaper than any rinky-dink "anchor ring" sold at any retailer in Anch.

PNT also sells the same thing - LFS didn't have their stainless one on their page. The 1/2" x 4" or 5/8" x 5" would work like a champ.

http://www.pacificnetandtwine.com/?c...9f4f1ca29fbea9

My ring deformed into an oval shape, but still works fine. I also have a solid ring for a spare.

My guess would be you are trying to pull using too much power initially. Try pulling away a bit more slowly, then using a bit more power/speed at the end to drag the chain through. Just a guess.