Thread: .260 or .270 for my girlfriend

Default .260 or .270 for my girlfriend

I am looking at buying a rifle for my girlfriend and I am torn between the Remington Model Seven in .260 for its compactness because she has a smaller frame or do I get a Winchester model 70 in 270 or a model 700 in 270 for the possibility of available ammo. <br><br>My main concerns about the .260 is the availability of ammo. I have owned a .260 and have tons of confidence in the round. I was wondering if I could just get a few more opinions from you guys on it.

COMPRIMISE, consider a 7-08. It'll be the best of both worlds and is available in most commercial rifles. Ammo is pretty much available.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Can you post pics of your girlfriend so we know what we will be trading into? I've got a nifty little savage I'd be willing to part with for a blonde. Gonna need to talk to the miss about adding some sister wives first, though. Not sure how that is gonna go over.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    COMPRIMISE, consider a 7-08. It'll be the best of both worlds and is available in most commercial rifles. Ammo is pretty much available.
    Good suggestion. If you reloaded the 260 would be no prob, but finding ammo would be an issue I suspect. For frame of reference, the factory 7-08 ammo is comparable to handloaded 7x57 or 7mm Mauser. My wife and both daughters have been shooting that one for years and it has performance out of all bounds for its size.

I love the little 260, especially in a M7, as that combo was my very first rifle for my very own. But if you don't handload it's going to be a problem. If she decides she loves the thing and wants to go shooting you probably won't score many points when you tell her she has to wait until the Midway order shows up with her ammo. And I know that when I had my 260 good hunting ammo was tough to come by, I had more than one instance when the 140 CoreLokts came completely unwound on small (100-120lb) whitetail deer. The Nitrex load was a good one, with the 140 Grandslam but it is no longer available.

The 270 will offer easy acces to ammo for the non handloader and not much more if any recoil. If you go that route I would suggest either a Remington Mountain Rifle, Ruger 77 Ultralite, or a Winchester Featherweight. Any of those will offer similar weight and handling to the Model 7. The 270 is capable of boxing in the bigger weight class too, it may not be ideal but I have watched my Dad and Uncle pile up a bunch of elk over the years using the 270 and 150 partitions.

As stated above the 7-08 would be an excellent choice as well. I recommend it more than any other cartridge for Dads starting youngsters and men starting their Wives or Girlfriends. It is an excellent round that is available in nice light compact rifles such as the Model 7.

Nobody has asked what you are shooting with it. Moose, bear, deer, caribou, paper? Sounds like a no brainer 270 vs 260 if you are not hand loading. You may want to consider a bigger pill if bigger critters are on the menu. I went through this dilemma with my wife and helped a buddy and his wife pick out a gun. My wife uses a 35 whelen Rem 750 semi auto since we are targeting moose. We wanted the bigger hole for more blood loss so stepped up from the 30-06 and 338-06 to the whelen ( 35-06). My buddy and his wife picked the 270. She shot a moose with it and he backed her up with a 375. WHOA what a difference in penetration and wound channel. I am not convinced the 270 for bears and moose is the best medicine now after seeing that display, but that is TOTALLY just my .02. Shoot what you can easily. The 270 is a great round. Oh yea, I like the getting the gun for the girl trick. It has added 3 guns to my safe. My wife loves them but has never shot them. HEE HEE.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    My buddy and his wife picked the 270. She shot a moose with it and he backed her up with a 375. WHOA what a difference in penetration and wound channel. I am not convinced the 270 for bears and moose is the best medicine now after seeing that display, but that is TOTALLY just my .02.
    The 270 is plenty of cartridge (as is the 260) so long as you use plenty of bullet (meaning design not necessarily weight). While it will not make a wound channel as large in diameter as the 375, with proper bullets it will be plenty deep and that's all that matters so long as it is placed properly. Too many hunters get uptight about this or that cartridge while ignoring that it's the bullet that does all of the killing...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I used to work for Joe Beatty in Kodiak, one the cattle ranchers.
    He shot 12 brown bear with a Rem 721 270 Win, which had a Weaver KV scope in Pachmayr flip off mount. He liked Rem 150 core lokts.

'course him and Joe Retner mounted a M1 Garand on top of a Tcraft for predator control in 50's as well.

I have a M7 260, I find I have to really pay attention to my bench hold to shoot well.
    I have shot a few caribou with it without problem, so does not seem to be a problem in the field. Bullets exited animals and they died quickly.

The M70 FWT is a classy gun, and everyone does seem to have ammo. Get both!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I went thru this exact senario about 12 years ago when shopping for a rifle for my Wife. She ended up with a Rem Model 7 in .260 that Andy did some work to, including shortening the stock, adding a nice recoil pad, KDF muzzle brake, trigger job and drilled and tapped a couple of holes so we could use two peice mounts (the Mod 7 back then didnt come with 4 holes in the reciever) and it has been a great shooting rifle that fits my wife perfectly. Neither of us have any regrets about that rifle. That said, the .260 was fairly new back then and i really thought it was going to take off and be as popular as 7mm-08 or 243 Win.... that obviously has not happened! so I will echo the others, and state that for a non-handloader the 7mm-08 would be a better choice. If you already have a .260 then heck, stick with what you know!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I agree with brav01

I'd be surprised if she couldn't handle the 270. My oldest daughter shot mine with no problems at all when she was 12. Ammo is more readily available, there are more rifles out there to choose from, and it is completely suitable for black bear, moose, caribou, sheep, goats, and deer.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

6.5x55 Swede, 260 rem, 7mm-08 or 7x57mm Mauser. All those are easy on a gals shoulders. Men often like to shop for themselves while shopping for a girlfriend and / or wife rifle. (may they never meet) Plus we start to think that if our gals can handle lots of recoil it reflects well on us.
    What they can tolerate, is often not really what they will enjoy. And once you have made it not-fun, or ticked them off... they never go shooting again.

Besides caliber recoil , fit and length of pull play a HUGE part in comfortable shooting.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Besides caliber recoil , fit and length of pull play a HUGE part in comfortable shooting.
    That's the bottom line, and much more important than the size of the hole in the barrel. It might mean a trip to the gunsmith to adjust stock length, but it will be worth every single penny.

I owned a model 7 stainless in .260 rem and I ended up selling it to pay some bills. That sale is going to haunt me for a long time, I loved that little rifle. I am not a big dude and the stock fit me really well. The ammo can be hard to find but you could always teach her how to reload. If she isn't going to be hunting anything big you could always drop down to a .243 also. I myself would still stick with the .260 though.