Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .260 or .270 for my girlfriend

Default .260 or .270 for my girlfriend

I am looking at buying a rifle for my girlfriend and I am torn between the Remington Model Seven in .260 for its compactness because she has a smaller frame or do I get a Winchester model 70 in 270 or a model 700 in 270 for the possibility of available ammo.

My main concerns about the .260 is the availability of ammo. I have owned a .260 and have tons of confidence in the round. I was wondering if I could just get a few more opinions from you guys on it.

Didn't mean to double up sorry about that.

.270win or .280rem . I bought my wife a .280rem Winchester Featherweight and mounted a compact Burris 4x scope on it. It shoots well and my wife likes it. I did have to cut the butt stock to a correct LOP to fit her, and she has not complained about the weight. The availablility of the .270win ammo may be more available than the .280rem. Both have been around a long time.

Another caliber maybe to consider is the 7mm-08, nice round also and easy to shoot.

my vote goes with 7mm/08

since you stated she has a smaller frame then the shorted actions may be better suited for her. The 7mm-08 would be hard to argue with. I am with 33WM on loving the 280 but you are back to long action and the 7mm-08 is right behind it in performance... Ammo is pretty easy to find for it as well.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

How many times do you plan to shoot her? You say she is small framed, but how much does she weigh? Possibly a smaller cartridge will be a quicker kill and more humane. Have you thought about sleeping pills?
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    How many times do you plan to shoot her? You say she is small framed, but how much does she weigh? Possibly a smaller cartridge will be a quicker kill and more humane. Have you thought about sleeping pills?
    Dude! You are Sooooooo wrong, but funny.

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    my vote goes with 7mm/08
    I'm here to tell you that the 139 grain Hornady at 2400-2500 is an awesome deer thumper, killing all out of proportion with its #'s and plenty flat enough for as far as you'll want a beginner to shoot. Haven't stuck a bou with it, but I'd expect the same.

The 154 grain Hornady at 2400 is my wife's pick for larger game, having accounted for a couple of moose and maybe a dozen bou. One shot kills all, and darned quick about it.

In that velocity range the Hornadys expand well but retain a lot of weight. If you're nervous about a non-premium bullet you can sub a Nosler Partition at similar velocities with similar results, I'm sure.

Recoil on any of those loads feels as mild as a 30-30, and maybe less due to a more forgiving stock design.

We say "a 338 Win for moose" or " a 375 for bear" so I guess " a 260 or 270 for my girlfriend" has the same meaning? Am I wrong?
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    We say "a 338 Win for moose" or " a 375 for bear" so I guess " a 260 or 270 for my girlfriend" has the same meaning? Am I wrong?
    As stated many times amougnst the various debates, preferences, etc. concerning caliber, the utmost important factor is bullet placement. Very few women are of the physical stature or posess the desire to shoot a large caliber rifle, but many women are better shots than most men... it has much to do with ego...

I would get the model 70 in .270. The extra heft will be good for absorbing some recoil. .270 is pretty much as standard of an all around game getter there is. I think you have two great choices and probably cant go wrong with either. Id lean towards 270 though. Its more common and that translates to savings in both the rifle and the ammo.
    As a side note I did just pick up a safe queen model 70 classic stainles in .270 today! I got a great deal on it.

Is this a surprise gift? Or can you ask her which she prefers?

go with the 260 and start handloading. Best wishes. J.

Good suggestions here, but you don't say what she will likely hunt. Also, is she a new hunter/shooter? My daughter is a torquey 5'6" 140 and she has no trouble with her .270, lightweight Husqvarna, which is fine for moose sheep and caribou. I trimmed the LOP and installed a limbsaver pad and that seems to work. I kind of think the proper LOP is more important than action length, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'm here to tell you that the 139 grain Hornady at 2400-2500 is an awesome deer thumper, killing all out of proportion with its #'s and plenty flat enough for as far as you'll want a beginner to shoot. Haven't stuck a bou with it, but I'd expect the same.

The 154 grain Hornady at 2400 is my wife's pick for larger game, having accounted for a couple of moose and maybe a dozen bou. One shot kills all, and darned quick about it.

In that velocity range the Hornadys expand well but retain a lot of weight. If you're nervous about a non-premium bullet you can sub a Nosler Partition at similar velocities with similar results, I'm sure.

Recoil on any of those loads feels as mild as a 30-30, and maybe less due to a more forgiving stock design.
    Yeah, I can imagine the recoil being dismal with what you posted. The velocity is extremely slow...I'd crank it up.

Not sure if its made anymore, but I think remington was the manafacturer of what was called Managed recoil ammunition. This was a good shooting load out of my gun, and as advertised not much bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Yeah, I can imagine the recoil being dismal with what you posted. The velocity is extremely slow...I'd crank it up.
    I dunno. BrownBear says that load has accounted for several kills. One shot kills at that. Why does he need to crank the velocity up? .

Why not a 308 Win. Compact. Slow it down or speed it up as needed. Shouldn't be too hard to find in the field. Does seem to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Nah. They've long ago proven themselves. That 139 grain load has more hoohah than a 30-30 and is flatter shooting for deer and bou. My wife and daughters wouldn't consider a long shot on a moose, and inside 100 yards the 154 grain load has more jeewhiz than a lot of loads guys are proud of out past 300, and even 200 for some of them.

It's proven hunting performance and not numbers.

Sorry for the slow reply. She is 5'6 125. She is a first time shooter I will try and get her caribou hunting this year. It is not a surprise gift she knows and has told me those are the two calibers she wants but she is open to the 7mm-08 as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast