Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cost of the hunt

Smile The cost of the hunt

Back when I was a kid everybody knew that when hunting season came around that I was going to be gone from the job for two weeks, did'nt mater where we were at on the job. (did'nt mater what the wife said either, lol)

Over the years I tried to add up how much my lost wages were, collosal

Out of the 30+ years of hunting and the money that went into buying gear with the 16 moose under the belt I figured I lost about $30,000 on missed wages probably more, then add in the gas for the boat, the food, the things we buy each year that was nicer than the year before, the many pairs of hipboots, longjohns, coats, and the list goes on, lol

I could add in the rafts, and the air drops, man this list could go on forever, lol, did'nt even mention the guns or the cost of the boats.

Its all for the fun of it.

Priceless.

well stated, but you can't take it with you.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    well stated, but you can't take it with you.
    WHAT.....Why was I not informed of this..........

I see it as a camping trip with the hopes of getting a moose. The stories and the camaraderie!

Ain't seen a tombstone yet what has a credit score on it.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by amahoy View Post
    The stories and the camaraderie!
    Those things you speak of are priceless really.

And ya, all that money won't another minute buy. Enjoy every hunting season you can rock, even if the ol' battle axe gives you hell
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

It's worth every penny!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Nice when the boss'll let ya.

Gotta love free meat just out there for the taking
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have no idea what I've spent on hunting and fishing trips, equipment, rifles, etc. over the years but I know one thing-the stories are worth every red cent.

I could have done it for less and I could have done it for more and been just as happy both ways...but the thought of not doing it all fills me with dread.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Gotta love free meat just out there for the taking
    I've spent a pile chasing that "free meat"....

I figure I will usually spend between 10 and 15 thousand every year to hunt. But, that includes mmose, birds, small game, and misc big game animals. Some years more, some years less.

Chris

My wife and I priced it last year. The way we do it, if we get a moose and process it all ourselves, it's less than $3 per pound of meat. Not bad considering today's market. Although gas has gone up since then. Sure is better than the $2/lb beef at Fred Meyer, especially considering having one week where I can turn my freaking phone off. That, to me , is the most priceless part of the trip. 5 miles outside of Anchorage, I look at my phone, smile and turn it OFF.....hard. Bliss.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

You may have "lost" those wages, but what you got in return is priceless. Although I get annoyed sometimes, I love it when my 6yr old asks me to tell him a story at night before bed. It fuels his fire. I am making a trip to AK this year with the wife. Although it is very expensive, I am so looking forward to the stories I will be able to tell him upon my return.

When I read a story someplace about a wealthy chap that is bored and unhappy and money does not bring them happiness I would love to send them my address if they would want to donate because I would have a blast spending it hunting and fishing and taking my friends along for the experience!
    I started working full time at age 15 and never looked back - yes I have spent a ton on trips - game mounts - etc but I have worked very hard to be able to do so - no regrets!

RS - I bet you can remember every trip - yet try to recall even 1 payday - its not the money that made you happy - its what you did with it!!!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

Theodore Roosevelt said something along this line and it is very true."You will remember far longer the things you wanted to do but didn`t than the things you actually did". I`ll NEVER be one of those woulda,coulda,shoulda types!!!!!! Grow a set and "get er` done" because you`ll be in the ground a long time!!

After the first 5 years I was geared up..Hunting is cheap now. Gas and food.

If a bear is taken then the taxidermy will cost me.

When I come back after an Alaska hunt, and show the video to my friends, I listen and notice the excitement in my voice...I sound more like a 12 year old kid on his first big game hunt in AK, than someone who has been working for 25 years! My girlfriend can notice the change in my voice as soon as I land in Alaska; the adventures that we all enjoy are priceless!

Some of my friends kid me that my house still look like I'm moving in - I don't tend to buy a lot of furniture I don't need, and am still using the TV set I bought in 1987. I tell them that the choice is between having more furniture or going to Alaska for 2-3 weeks every fall, and furniture can never seem to get the upper hand!

I don't regret a single cent I've ever spent on coming to Alaska and doing wilderness hunts; I'd be much worse off having the money without the adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    When I come back after an Alaska hunt, and show the video to my friends, I listen and notice the excitement in my voice...I sound more like a 12 year old kid on his first big game hunt in AK, than someone who has been working for 25 years! My girlfriend can notice the change in my voice as soon as I land in Alaska; the adventures that we all enjoy are priceless!

Some of my friends kid me that my house still look like I'm moving in - I don't tend to buy a lot of furniture I don't need, and am still using the TV set I bought in 1987. I tell them that the choice is between having more furniture or going to Alaska for 2-3 weeks every fall, and furniture can never seem to get the upper hand!

I don't regret a single cent I've ever spent on coming to Alaska and doing wilderness hunts; I'd be much worse off having the money without the adventure.
    Sounds like you've got the Alaska Bug, you need to change the whole scenario around. Move to Alaska and spend 2-3 weeks visiting your old home.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 08-05-2011 at 09:25. Reason: spelling

The key word I think is "girlfriend" and not "wife" - wives tend to spend a lot of good hunting money on remodeling the remodels I have found - Geez!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast