Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: THREE vehicle crash on Seward....Closed @ INDIAN

Default THREE vehicle crash on Seward....Closed @ INDIAN

Guess that "safety zone" thingie is working out pretty well.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Road will be closed till 7:PM.........One dead, 14 injured.

Are there passing lanes similar to the parks every ten miles or so? Plan on driving it in the next week or so.
    Any passing lanes? Always horrible to hear stories like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ergoman View Post
    Are there passing lanes similar to the parks every ten miles or so? Plan on driving it in the next week or so.
    Any passing lanes? Always horrible to hear stories like this.
    Yea, well, see that's the problem; the nut jobs who drive that road think 'they don't need no stinkin passing lanes'....
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Yea, well, see that's the problem; the nut jobs who drive that road think 'they don't need no stinkin passing lanes'....
    There are many problems with that section. My favorite is the tourists who insist on driving 35 mph and not pulling over out of the lane to stop and take photos with the goats. But the road rager commuter, and sleep deprived suicide Russian river fisherman are probably more dangerous.

ergo there are tons of passing lanes, you might get "stuck" behind a slow mover for a few minutes but eventually you'll get to a passing lane, some of the passing opportunities without passing lanes can be sketchy, I just wish people would maintain their slow speed or maybe even take their foot off the gas when they arrive at a passing lane. My pet peeve is people who poke along at 45 but then hit a passing lane and bump it up to 60 or 65. Regardless there is no excuse for taking a chance, and there are ample places to pass safely, I really wish somebody would do an experiment A) getting in line staying put B) passing aggressively C) passing in passing lanes without exceeding the speed limit by more than 5 MPH and see what the time difference is Anchorage to Russian River......... my guess is there would be less than 15 minute spread.........heck it's only a 2 hour drive from South Anchorage
    Take your time enjoy the scenery and definitely watch out for the other guy

The Seward hw is now open. A littke slow going for the folks going to Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    I really wish somebody would do an experiment A) getting in line staying put B) passing aggressively C) passing in passing lanes without exceeding the speed limit by more than 5 MPH and see what the time difference is Anchorage to Russian River......... my guess is there would be less than 15 minute spread.........heck it's only a 2 hour drive from South Anchorage
    I am willing to bet it is much less than 15 minutes.

I have often been passed by guys racing down the highway driving like hell was chasing them, only to see them a few cars ahead of me once we get to the stoplight at Soldotna.

Is it really worth risking your life and the lives of others in order to get a few car lengths ahead? The fish will still be there even if you arrive a few minutes later than you wanted to.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Enforcement of the "pull over" law for vehicles with 5 or more cars behind them would do wonders also.

Amoung my pet peeves in addition to the slow vehicles speeding up when they hit the passing lanes are the vehicles passing that take the whole length of the passing area to get around the slower vehicles.

Probably not too many Russian River fishermen on suicide runs this year- perhaps later.

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    ergo there are tons of passing lanes, you might get "stuck" behind a slow mover for a few minutes but eventually you'll get to a passing lane, some of the passing opportunities without passing lanes can be sketchy, I just wish people would maintain their slow speed or maybe even take their foot off the gas when they arrive at a passing lane. My pet peeve is people who poke along at 45 but then hit a passing lane and bump it up to 60 or 65. Regardless there is no excuse for taking a chance, and there are ample places to pass safely, I really wish somebody would do an experiment A) getting in line staying put B) passing aggressively C) passing in passing lanes without exceeding the speed limit by more than 5 MPH and see what the time difference is Anchorage to Russian River......... my guess is there would be less than 15 minute spread.........heck it's only a 2 hour drive from South Anchorage
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

You know it is pretty sad this is even a problem..................if people wouldn't drive like a D bag. If people want to pass you let them, don't speed up, and if you are holding up more then 5 people get the FACK over! If you are trying to pass some one, don't pull infront of them when there isn't any room! Honeslty I wish there was more troopers down there in the pass to 1. catch people speeding and passing like retards....2. pull people over that are holding every one up.

My opinion is that although the people who speed down there are a big problem and the ones holding every one up are just as guilty. Along with the dumb tourists who stop in the middle of the HWY to see a dumb goat...........

really grinds my gears when a motorhome is towing something and it has a car behind it. they are going 40 in the 55 and are traveling together and won't give any room for anybody to pass. also when people look in their rearview mirror and see a line 30 cars deep and can't have the courtesy to pull over for a few minutes to let people pass. i'm not a crazy driver, usually sticking to the limit and occasionally going 5 over on the safer spots, but i think that these nut jobs are just as dangerous as the ones who try to pass at every opportunity.
    hook, line, sinker, done.

I wonder if the troppers ever give out any tickets for violation the 5 vehicle rule?

Not knocking the troopers - they are doing a tough job.

Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post
    really grinds my gears when a motorhome is towing something and it has a car behind it. they are going 40 in the 55 and are traveling together and won't give any room for anybody to pass. also when people look in their rearview mirror and see a line 30 cars deep and can't have the courtesy to pull over for a few minutes to let people pass. i'm not a crazy driver, usually sticking to the limit and occasionally going 5 over on the safer spots, but i think that these nut jobs are just as dangerous as the ones who try to pass at every opportunity.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I have seen troopers pull people over for the 5 vehicle rule on 2 occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post

Amoung my pet peeves in addition to the slow vehicles speeding up when they hit the passing lanes are the vehicles passing that take the whole length of the passing area to get around the slower vehicles.
    The tour buses are notorious for doing this. 55 in a 65 and 75 in the passing lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by bilder View Post
    I have often been passed by guys racing down the highway driving like hell was chasing them, only to see them a few cars ahead of me once we get to the stoplight at Soldotna.

Is it really worth risking your life and the lives of others in order to get a few car lengths ahead? The fish will still be there even if you arrive a few minutes later than you wanted to.
    They have to get ahead of you. They were "Me first!" in kindergarten, and they are still "Me first!" as adults... and I use that word loosely.

so what if i am going the speed limit and there is 5 cars behind me i still have to pull over....pretty rediculous
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    so what if i am going the speed limit and there is 5 cars behind me i still have to pull over....pretty rediculous
    my comment was made towards the people going like 10 under. if its speed limit, i don't care how long the line is as long as its moving. the people who go way under and don't have the courtesy for other drivers to pull over is what bothers me
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post
    my comment was made towards the people going like 10 under. if its speed limit, i don't care how long the line is as long as its moving. the people who go way under and don't have the courtesy for other drivers to pull over is what bothers me
    The speed limit is the upper limit, not the lower limit. I get impatient as anyone, but the slow people are not killing people, and they're not breaking the law unless they allow a line to form behind them. It's the people passing on double yellow and driving way over the limit that kill people. Tell me with a straight face you don't get passed on that stretch of road if you're driving the speed limit or even a little above. We should all be mad at the selfish idiots that want to risk our lives to save 5 minutes. The guy in the motorhome going 50 may be annoying, but he isn't going to kill anyone because he is driving 5 under.

Quote Originally Posted by fishfood View Post
    The speed limit is the upper limit, not the lower limit. I get impatient as anyone, but the slow people are not killing people, and they're not breaking the law unless they allow a line to form behind them. It's the people passing on double yellow and driving way over the limit that kill people. Tell me with a straight face you don't get passed on that stretch of road if you're driving the speed limit or even a little above. We should all be mad at the selfish idiots that want to risk our lives to save 5 minutes. The guy in the motorhome going 50 may be annoying, but he isn't going to kill anyone because he is driving 5 under.
    While the people going over the limit are often the culprits there are many studies that show that driving SLOWER of FASTER than the flow of traffic share an equal brunt of causing accidents. There is NO lower limit posted on those roads as there are in some other states (I came from Oklahoma and the minimum speed is 50 on the freeway) so there is nothing to say they have to drive at least a certain MPH. Most people just assume driving slower is safer when in fact it is equally as dangerous in traffic situations.

We all just need to have a little common courtesy and respect and things would be a lot better. But I suspect that the idiots passing over double yellows and doing stupid things are the same ones doing illegal things on the rivers and every where else and really dont care what happens to anything or anyone else. Not really gonna do any good to try and beat them up here because most of us are the ones following the rules and complaining about the idiots.

Just be careful and look out for your self and your family.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast