Thread: gear list

Default gear list

First sheep hunt this fall for my dad and I in Alaska. Hoping to get him a dall sheep to match his big horn sheep. Below is my gear list any major things missing? Thanks for any advice? I sleep warm so don't worry on the degree bag it's worked for spring bear this year for me down to about 20. My dads list will be similar just lighter since I'm going to carry most of the shared items (he's getting a little older). Should I sub out my DSLR camera for my olympus it's much heavier but the photo quality is so much better.
    Sleeping and pack
    Barney's Pack Frame/Hunter Bag
    Stoic 30 degree 800 down
    GoLite Shangri La 5 (just tarp and stakes)
    Marmot alpine bivy
    Sea to Summit Dry Bag (For Clothes and Sleeping Bag)
    Big Agnes inflatable pad (with repair kit)

Optics
    Kowa 8x32 binos
    Tripod
    Swarsoki spotting scope

Gun
    Remington 280 w leupold 3x9 w/ sling and 4 rounds in clip
    10 Rounds of 280 Ammo
    Gun oil and cleaning patchs
    Havalon knife w extra blade
    Game Bags (Tag Bags enough for 1 caribou

Cooking
    MSR superfly stove
    Fuel(how many should I bring for 7 days two people boiling twice a day??)
    1 L Titanium pot and spork
    Small cup
    Pop bottle
    3 liter water bladder

Misc
    Letherman multi tool
    20 feet of parachute cord
    olympus waterproof camera (extra battery)

Black Dimond Spot headlamp
    First Aid Kit (chapstick, moleskin)
    Black diamond contour Treking Poles/W duct tape
    Iridium Sat. Phone/w. Extra Battery
    Waterproof matches
    Tooth brush & paste
    sun glasses
    book

Clothes (in pack)
    Golite Phantom rain jacket
    Cabelas Gortex rain pants
    Patogonia nano puff pullover
    Minus 33 midweight bottoms
    Socks (two pairs darn toughs)
    Smartwool Lightweight zip shirt
    Mtn hardwear fleece hat and ibex gloves
    One pair minus 33 wool boxer briefs
    headnet

Clothes (worn)
    Icebreaker T-shirt
    Icebreaker long sleeve shirt
    Mtn hardwear soft shell pants
    Minus 33 wool boxer briefs
    One pair darn tough socks
    ball cap

Food
    1 and half pounds a day

This could go in the Sheep List sticky... but the one glaring thing I see missing is navigation tools. i.e. map, compass, and GPS. You need to be able to find your way off the mountain in the fog.

I also carry a signal mirror, 550 cord, a couple pieces of firestarter, and windproof lighter. Otherwise, your list is darn similar to mine for this year.

Yk

Thanks yellowknife I have the map and compass out I forgot to add it to the list though.

other note part of my stove kit is a lighter (I just always have it in the bag so I forgot to add it to the list)

In that case, about the only thing missing is the sheep. Good luck.

Yk

I'm just never going to understand the down bag option... plus waterproof bag plus bivy, plus compression sack, plus liner, plus...etc.

OR, you just take a lightweight synthetic bag and be done with it and don't worry about your bag getting wet.

I guess it's just me. Especially as much as it's been raining lately.

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    I'm just never going to understand the down bag option... plus waterproof bag plus bivy, plus compression sack, plus liner, plus...etc.

OR, you just take a lightweight synthetic bag and be done with it and don't worry about your bag getting wet.

Taylor
    The bivy is more for if I have to spend a night on a side of mountain (and bugs in the teepee) and for me even if I was bringing a synthetic bag I would still bring a waterproof compresion sack. I rather be dry to spend the night (hunting is suppose to be fun lets not forget that). So for me a synthetic bag would still be heavier since I would bring the same things I was planning on.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post

Taylor
    No, it's not just you, I don't understand it either. I had this same conversation with some guys earlier today and three was no convincing them that synthetic is much safer to use, all for the sake of saving a few lbs.

You get your down bag wet and the fun is over. Nothing can ruin a hunt more than not getting a good nights sleep and if you happen to have some bad weather like we're having right now, you will not get your bag dried out which means no sleep.

Anyhow, it's your hunt, take what you wish and good luck to you.

what is the total weight of your packs & gear ???

Total weight of pack and gear this includes clothes worn and treking poles is 50.3 pounds.

You have a Havalon knife I'm assuming for caping, etc., but what about a good knife for dressing, boning, and general camp needs?
    I like to have a backup knife, but if you and your dad each have one you should be covered.

If you feel the need for a backup knife, ditch the Leatherman and bring a lightweight swiss army type knife or something along those lines. How often in the back country do you need three different sizes of flathead screwdriver. Leathermans are heavy.

Salt or TTC for capes?
    A bone saw?
    How many game bags are you bringing?

Toilet paper and/or a pack of 15 wet wipes?

Is your gun blued or stainless? Either way, skip the gun oil and cleaning patches. Oil it before your hunt. Put some elec tape over the muzzle and a wrap a bit extra around the barrel. If your gun is blued, maybe take along one of those little prepackaged remoil wipes.

You could probably get by with one fuel canister if you were dilligent about not wasting. My general rule those is one canister per person per week. Especially since there's the always the chance you'll spend extra days weathered in.

Water purifier? or better yet - aquamira?
    Small bottle of Ben's 100% bug dope?
    Small roll of flagging tape for marking trails through alders, where you ditched your pack, blood trail, etc.?

Skip the repair kit for the pad. It's just a week - if it goes flat you can tough it out.

Bring two zipties - you can fix just about anything related to clothes, packs, slings, straps, etc.

How many trips like this do you get to do with your dad? Take a good camera. Possibly take a second lightweight camera. There's two of you - you can spread out a few pounds.

Take a belt.

Hunt hard. Have fun. Be safe. Good luck.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.