Thread: Cessna 180

Default Cessna 180

Hello,

As I continue to shop for an aircraft, I've been looking hard at the 170B's. But after having a discussion with a co-worker, eventually, some time later in life I believe a 180 is where I would like to end up at. I have just gotten my tailwheel endorsement, and am continuing to build hours. I noticed a 1955 cessna 180 on craigslist, N2352C.

Anyone have any insight on that aircraft?

Been looking at the costs of buying and owning, which is why I'm still in the shopping phase, lol. Anyone have any good estimates on operating costs (ie annuals & insurance) on a 180?

Appreciated the feed back.

Quote Originally Posted by Wldlndfirefghtr View Post
    Hello,

As I continue to shop for an aircraft, I've been looking hard at the 170B's. But after having a discussion with a co-worker, eventually, some time later in life I believe a 180 is where I would like to end up at. I have just gotten my tailwheel endorsement, and am continuing to build hours. I noticed a 1955 cessna 180 on craigslist, N2352C.

Anyone have any insight on that aircraft?

Been looking at the costs of buying and owning, which is why I'm still in the shopping phase, lol. Anyone have any good estimates on operating costs (ie annuals & insurance) on a 180?

Appreciated the feed back.
    Can't any longer help with the current cost of C-180s, but I can tell you that, after the P-51, the C-180 is the best airplane that God ever bult!

I think the 180 is the best Alaska airplane for the private pilot. I prefer the 1964 or so years. After the purchase the cost is a bit more than a 170. 170 is really economical with 145 but the preference would be 180. Depends on your checkbook and your mission?
    Tim

That plane belongs to John Spencer. He's a great guy. He's a professional pilot and an AI. That plane has been well loved and well maintained. If I had the bucks I'd buy it in a NY second....Louis
    Louis Knapp

In about 1952 Duane Wallace and the rest of the Cessna engineering staff got it right! I have had a 1956 beginning 1991 and unless I leave AK it is my plane of choice ... btw there are lot's of great upgrades for this airplane. Besure to find out about "condition" ... get a good AP/AI to inspect before you buy.

Get your insurance quoted. I'd expect a full coverage deal to cost around $6K/year. Substantially more if on floats. Annuals are impossible to estimate. 5 different mechanics will see different things and that leads to different costs. If the plane is in good shape the annual inspection and typical small repairs should be $1000-$1500. Break a crank, discover a corroded gear box, or bend some sheet metal? Cha ching. The 0-470 has a 1500 hour TBO but don't expect to make that if you don't fly a lot. Check the prop log and see how long it's been since overhauled. MacCauley hubs are usually under maintained and are rather expensive to repair. Find a mechanic you trust and do a full annual as your pre-purchase inspection. If you're going to buy a plane you may as well go in with your eyes wide open. Airplanes are expensive. Especially when you buy somebody else's deferred maintenance problems. (I don't know this plane or the owner. I'm speaking in general terms.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Get your insurance quoted I'd expect a full coverage deal to cost around $6K/year. Substantially more if on floats. Annuals are impossible to estimate. 5 different mechanics will see different things and that leads to different costs. If the plane is in good shape the annual inspection and typical small repairs should be $1000-$1500. Break a crank, discover a corroded gear box, or bend some sheet metal? Cha ching. The 0-470 has a 1500 hour TBO but don't expect to make that if you don't fly a lot. Check the prop log and see how long it's been since overhauled. MacCauley hubs are usually under maintained and are rather expensive to repair. Find a mechanic you trust and do a full annual as your pre-purchase inspection. If you're going to buy a plane you may as well go in with your eyes wide open. Airplanes are expensive. Especially when you buy somebody else's deferred maintenance problems. (I don't know this plane or the owner. I'm speaking in general terms.)
    What Mr. Pid said. I just bought my 182 this past winter, and one (not the, just one) factor was the cost of insurance for a 180. $1M smooth on a hull value of $60K is more than $5K per year. The same a/c down south would have been about half of that. When I asked my insurer why, he stated

"Helicopter time is expensive in Alaska!"

Low tail wheel time pilot (expect a limitation from the insurer, i.e. a minimum of 10-20-40 hours dual before acting as PIC), taildragger a/c, in AK - all multipliers that drive the costs up.

I went with the 182 with a 265hp PPonked O-470-50 (O-520) and a 3-blade McCauley prop, which gives me a 2,000 hr TBO (1500 on prop). Because I didn't pay (directly any way) for the engine upgrade, it really works out - except for that 15-16 gph @ cruise thingy

I chewed on this and searched for 6 months before I found 5077D, and brought her up from Outside this past spring. So far, so good. Other costs - $40-80/mo tie down, ~$6/gal for avgas (other costs if you're planning on running Mogas - not an option for me), ~$100 every oil change if you do it yourself.

Good info!

I've been shopping (mostly dreaming probably) for a while now. So much that the wife just kind of chuckles when I say I found another plane for sale. I was looking hard at the 182 (my father-in-law has a nice 1957 182). That all changed when I started and got my tail wheel endorsement a couple of weeks ago. Last night I got some time with the instructor out at clear creek airstrip, what a hoot, and man I need lots more practice! I've always had the 170 in the back of my mind as a potential. But with eventually wanting to haul the family around (wife flies as well) a 180 seems like the ticket. But I think the costs will prohibit that for awhile. I suppose the 170 would get me by for a while (the wife could always fly her fathers 182, or his cub when she gets tw endorse
    ). Be a good time builder be for moving up to a bigger plane. Seems like talking to the insurance agent is the best place to start, lay the foundation for all the other costs associated with affording a plane.

By the way, nice looking plane Sierra, I think I saw the ad for that one when it was for sale, nice!

Appreciate all the insight, keeps giving me things to chew on for a bit.

Don't underestimate the utility (and relative economy) of a 182. Especially the straight tails with manual flaps. Great airplanes.

MR pid is right again!!! The 182 is a pretty impressive airplane, like he said esp the older ones with manual flaps. I Was looking for a "NICE" 180 last year, and well stumbled onto a GREAT 185 in my price range (barely!!) I have to admit though, Insurance, fuel and oil , and just piddley little stuff adds up VERY fast(think $1800/ month). I am trying to save for a hanger, but it's hard when it chews on the checkbook that hard! That might be a little high for a 180, I am a very picky person when it comes to Maint. and this is the first year of ownership for me, so some of that could be, well this is the way I want it, make it that way. I think it will come down in a yr or so (I hope!!) I have 10k hrs total time, 3k in type, and still pay $3k/ yr for insrurance. I plan 17gal/hr and change the oil every 25hrs at $100 for the oil. The 182 is overlooked alot!!

Wild, thanks. I have a good friend that talked me into looking at the 182, as I too was looking at a 180 or a 170 with an O-360 and CS prop. Given my anticipated flight profile, the 182 fits 98% of what I do with a/c, as I'm not off landing on the hillside, have no plans to put it on floats, and in reality will see gravel strips as the most exotic of the locations I take it to. Like Mr Pid said, mine is a straight tail '58, and with the larger engine manual flaps, virtually leaps off the pavement (I can't run the engine up with full speed and try to hold it with the brakes - she'll skid along the pavement leaving back marks like a kid with a new Mustang!). With 2 notches of flaps, I can get her off in far less than 500' - and I'm not a great pilot by any means.

The recommendation that struck home to me as that if I wasn't going to fly it 200 hours or more a year, a high HP taildragger is a sure way to test your insurance policy . . . or worse.

YMMV

I always thought the c-182 is the most undervalued aircraft readily available. Parts are easy to find. Any decent maintenance shop can maintain them. The aircraft is capable of doing more stuff than the idiot controlling it. With all that said the only reason I would consider a c-180 over the c-182 would be to put it on skis.

182's are good planes but the prop is more vulnerable to damage when operating on gravel. Make sure you get some training not only for take off and landing but also for taxi in gravel. Be prepared to push the plane around on the ground to save the prop. If you are looking at a 180 or 185, no matter what is in the log books, you should assume it has been damaged in the past. You need to find a mechanic that specializes in airframe repair to search out and find the old repairs. An old repair is not a problem as long as it is done right, many times they are not done right (and not logged) and it will cost you big bucks to have it corrected. After you make a realistic calculation of your operating expenses, double it, then add 10% and you'll be getting close to what it will really cost.

I agree with what many of you have said regarding the 180 as plane of choice. You can find some around for decent money. I am here to pitch the 170B. I will be selling mine this year/month after its annual (new ailerons, 180 gear legs, new carb, airbox, one new jug). When I bought mine the guy that sold it boiught a 180. The only thing he like more with the 180 is the payload. Great performer with the STOL kit and AV-Con 180 hp. It has nearly every Alaska mod.....it used to belong to Jay Hammond "Bush Rat Governor" but I sold the floats but still use the Federal 2500 sheel skiis. I insure through Avemco. New TW endorsement does bring the cost up for sure. The good thing is the more you fly the cheaper your premium gets. I think at 100 hours you get a small break and a more substantial break at 250 hours. You can do safety trainings with Avemco and get a % reduced as well. Buying a plane is a big step so make sure you get what you want and do so knowing everything about the plane. Good luck.
    Wherever you go ....there you are.