Thread: Kanektok float on your own

Default Kanektok float on your own

Can I please get some info on doing a Kanektok float on your own advice.

Looking to go during the King run next year as well as the numerous other fish in this river. Wondering about estimates on prices from Anchorage to Dillingham and float plane service from Dillingham to Pagati lake. Any any other tips appreciated. Thank you

PenAir or Alaska Airlines services Dillingham with regular, daily flights.

http://www.penair.com/

http://www.alaskaair.com/

Having used most of the air taxi's in Dillingham I would say, without hesitation, that Tom and Janet at Bay Air are the best in all aspects; Customer Service, communication, safety, quality, and overall performance of their business.

http://www.bayair-alaska.com/

If you overnight in Dillingham, Susan at Beaver Creek is the go-to gal for top notch accommodations.

http://www.dillinghamalaska.com/

I'd do some heavy reading up on the Kanektok via publications and USGS maps. Likewise if you can get Tom from Bay Air to answer either via phone or Email any queries you have concerning any aspect of your trip, his knowledge is invaluable.

Best of luck.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    PenAir or Alaska Airlines services Dillingham with regular, daily flights.

http://www.penair.com/

http://www.alaskaair.com/

Having used most of the air taxi's in Dillingham I would say, without hesitation, that Tom and Janet at Bay Air are the best in all aspects; Customer Service, communication, safety, quality, and overall performance of their business.

http://www.bayair-alaska.com/

If you overnight in Dillingham, Susan at Beaver Creek is the go-to gal for top notch accommodations.

http://www.dillinghamalaska.com/

I'd do some heavy reading up on the Kanektok via publications and USGS maps. Likewise if you can get Tom from Bay Air to answer either via phone or Email any queries you have concerning any aspect of your trip, his knowledge is invaluable.

Best of luck.
    Thank you for this info, I will look into it! How about the fishing, floating and camping along the river?

Plenty of rain! And wind. Invest in good waterproof bags, and have your inclement weather skills perfected. It's a great river! You'll have a blast.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Coloflyfisher View Post
    How about the fishing, floating and camping along the river?

If any of those were an issue, this would not be one of the (if not the most) popular float trips in SW Alaska. We did the nearby Goodnews a few years ago and flew with Tickhik Airventures (Rick Grant) of Dillingham. He did a good job for us and was punctual and such. Not much in Dillingham for shopping so you may consider taking most your food with you. Depending on how you pack, this is a viable option. If you take propane stoves, tables, coolers, etc.. you are own your own. If you tend to pack light, below are some suggestions that may generate some ideas. Food for thought. ha ha..

On remote fly in float trips, weight/volume are always obstacles when planning meals. Also, if you are not carrying a cooler, you have more to factor in. While there are many ways to do things, some work better than others. Each float trip, we revise our food choices, holding on to what worked last time, and improving on food choices we were not so happy. Below is a brief run down of how I do things. Perhaps some of this information will generate some thought to help you better plan food on your next float trip.

For breakfast, we like bagels with the precooked bacon packs. The Boars Head comes in two seperate pouches which is convenient. Oscar Meyer comes in one bigger pack. We like block cheese and Harvest Food eggs (see their website for all kinds of great products). I use their powdered oil/shortening in my dutch oven. Works just like regular oil but without the weight/mess. We also take hot oatmeal and recently discovered Richmoor cold cereal. Just add water type. It comes in granola with strawberries and granola with raspberries. Both are delicious. I am 6' 6" and weigh 300 lbs. So I will buy 4 packs of the cereal and vacuum seal. 2.5 for me and 1.5 for my wife. If you eat a 2,000 calorie a day diet normally, perhaps one pack would be enough for breakfast. They taste great. I buy mine from www.wildernessdining.com This site sells lots of other great food items. Check out their website for all kinds of food related items. Great selection of hard to find items. I get the peanut butter and jelly individual packs there too. Great for putting on flour tortilla wraps or bagels for snacks/lunches. Very convenient. Comes with strawberry or grape jelly. These are larger packs and have plenty to make a sandwich or bagel. They also sell cheese in packs like this. That with some pilot bread would make a great snack/lunch.

For lunch we take Mountain House Pro Paks. Vacuum sealed and slightly smaller portions than the regular Mtn House meals, they pack small and light yet are plenty for lunch. They come in about 10 different types. Chilli-Mac, spaghetti, and Lasagna are my favorites. Go to the Mountain House website and order there. One nice thing about having these meals for lunch everyday is that it makes things simple. No meal planning. Save that for the dinners. Keep it simple. Just boil some water riverside and have lunch. This route also saves weight compared to many other food ideas.

For dinner, we go through more trouble. For the purpose of good morale perhaps. We take Darn Good (brand) dried chilli bags and make Jiffy cornbread in the dutch oven. We also make grayling gumbo. We take Zatarains Gumbo (dry mix) and slivers of about 2 lbs of grayling. Cook slow while the Bisquick garlic biscuits cook in the aluminum GSI 10" dutch oven. It only weighs 4 lbs and can be found on the wilderness dining website above. Also at Campmor.com. We cook fish for about 3/7 meals too. Usually dolly vardon (arctic char). We get Idaho instant potatoes (garlic is our favorite). We will make garlic bisuits in the dutch oven to go with. We also make mac and cheese to go with fish. Simple things like that. Some of the easy to make Suddenly Salad brands are nice too. They have a ranch and italian cold pasta salad. Great sides for a fish meal. We have also packed the 10" pita pizza deals. Take the pizza sauce in the bags and some block cheese to grate. Two person may be enough. And of course the pepperoni. In a pinch, we will just have one of the extra Mtn House Pro Paks. Maybe too tired to cook or got into camp late. Bad weather and such. I always carry 2-3 extra Mtn House Pro Paks. One tip, tape a disposable plastic spoon to the lasagna packs. The cheese in them is nearly impossible to get off your standard Lexan spoon. We burn the disposable spoon with the bag the meal was in. Dishes done.

Save the clean lexan spoon for stirring the 100 proof peppermint schnapps into the hot chocolate. Also, Captain Morgans rum and hot apple cider is a good camp fire drink. For other times of the day, we take Crystal Light sticks and perhaps one gatorade packet per person/per day.

For deserts, we take the Backpackers Pantry (brand) cheese cake and cream pie (same things). I love lemon, but chocolate mousse, strawberry, banana, and dark chocolate are great. Just add and stir some cold water into the bag, then sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs on top (included in the pack) and then let it sit and think for about 10 minutes. This desert must be tried. Amazing stuff.

For snacks, the normal fare. Dried fruit and beef jerky vacuum seals to very small packs. Leave out the mango and apricots as it makes everything sticky. We love Cliff bars as they can get squished and are not effected by heat. Comes in about 20 flavors. And of course some home made gorp with the larger size M&M's.

For coffee, only Peet's arabian mocha java or major dickisons blend will do. Order online from Peet's and specify that you want press pot grind. You do this when finalizing the order. Get a french press to take on the trip. I have a stainless model that I got from Campmor. I think they quit carrying that model, but REI and others carry it. GSI also makes some lexan french presses. They work fine, I just preferred the stainless model. Point is, this makes great coffee and it is the perfect way to start a day on a float trip. We get small 16,8,4 ounce nalgene bottles (campmor) and put the coffee, powdered creamer, and sweetener in them. Good stuff man.

Be sure you have a good waterproof freestanding tent for use on the gravel bars. MSR whisperlite international stoves with spare fuel pump are my choice. MSR miniworks water filter is very reliable as well. Sleeping pads with repair kit or perhaps a small fold up (accordion style) foam pad with an inflatable pad on top is a good system for many reasons. Sleeping bags rated below what you expect are a good move. Dry bags for most everything, Pacific Outdoors Wy-tex are very tough and durable dry bags.

For fishing info, Troy Leatherman's "Topwater, Fly Fishing Alaska" and Scott Haugen's "Fly Fisher's Guide to Alaska" are among my favorites. Both can be purchased on the forum store here under the fishing section. Also, Amazon is likely to have both. Very good books that cover lots of areas. Be sure to search Kanektok in this sub-forum as well. Numerous old posts over the years that would be of interest to you. Good luck with your planning. It is a valuable part of any successful float trip.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.