Thread: Green Head Decoys

Default Green Head Decoys

I have duck hunted in AK for over 10 years. We have never used Green heads because all our decoys are seasoned and faded. Even if they started out as green, the years of sun and silt have faded them ALL to brown. I KNOW our drakes(AK) do not have green heads yet and that it is unwise to use them in your spread.

Having that said I shall pose my question:
    Has anyone ever actually used Green heads in his/her set up? What was the outcome?

The reason I ask is that I have just come across an awesome deal on brand new Flambeau Decoys. Unfortunately as we all know they come with drakes and hens. I am tempted to use them on opening day, just to see if this will deter the birds. And if it does then i'll just pull them and wack and stack. But... as with most experiments this is not going to be truly controlled because as we all know ducks on opening day are as dumb as rocks. So... again I pose my question.
    Has anyone ever actually used Green heads in his/her set up(in AK)?

All the time after mid September when the older mature drakes start to change over to green.

You will see this question - or advise - many times on here over the years and you will see that many folks use green heads right from the start.

Never did see a green head decoy scare a duck away. In 30 years.....
    Tim

i normally throw 3 or 4 green heads in because there are always a few green heads around i saw some last year in september. if your that worried about it just lightly missed some brown spray paint over the drake to calm down the bright green. thats what i did to my drake pintails.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Most ducks in Alaska don't stay long enough or see enough pressure to require perfect paint schemes on our decoys.

I run green head mallards during the last 2/3 rds of the season and I suspect given my location that us Juneau hunters see the wariest birds in Alaska. Birds are here all season long, we don't freeze solid (on the salt that is) and we have a large enough population that there is always someone out hunting ducks. There are something like 500+ people with permits to hunt the Mendenhall Refuge each year.

Most of the time you just need to set up a spread that looks remotely like a flock of ducks in a spot they want to be and hide yourself and you'll do well.

Erich

I use greenheads right in with the rest of my decoys, and it works out just fine. The early birds up here are clueless, and the late season birds generally come in from other areas without much hunting pressure, so having a decoy that doesn't look quite like the birds at that time should be fine. I have shot a limit of greenheads late in the season up here a bunch of times, so having some greenheads definitely is a good idea. I use a moderate-sized spread with a mix of species, and it seems to always bring in birds.

I might hold back on the number of drakes in a spread early on in the season if the birds are not coming right in, but I really doubt it will hurt your options. Alaskan ducks see other 'ducks' and don't seem to care much beyond that. Just leave an inviting pocket and they will come.

I too use full color drake decoys, and not only green heads, I use full color bluebills, widgeon, and pintails. I have never had any problems with them. I know I might catch some flak for this from the other duck hunters, but I usually encourage my friends to use them up here. The reason is brighter decoys can be seen from farther away. I am running two full body swan decoys with my spread as well just to increase that visibility. I believe that anything you can do to get the birds to give you a look over increases your chances of getting more birds on the duck string.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I too use full color drake decoys, and not only green heads, I use full color bluebills, widgeon, and pintails. I have never had any problems with them. I know I might catch some flak for this from the other duck hunters, but I usually encourage my friends to use them up here. The reason is brighter decoys can be seen from farther away. I am running two full body swan decoys with my spread as well just to increase that visibility. I believe that anything you can do to get the birds to give you a look over increases your chances of getting more birds on the duck string.
    I agree! I have also used one robo duck with just a few decs and had good luck! Carrying less stuff is always nice
    Tim

I seen and shot mallards all the way to the last day of the season and the drakes come out in October. Before that it is mostly bland decoys such as black ducks and gadwall since no one sells just hen decoys.

Very well said...Was fixing to jump on the ban-waggon...but couldnt of said it better..would have taken longer...lol

Nice job. Really does not matter..just put them out and they will come.

DH

Quote Originally Posted by miller View Post
    I use greenheads right in with the rest of my decoys, and it works out just fine. The early birds up here are clueless, and the late season birds generally come in from other areas without much hunting pressure, so having a decoy that doesn't look quite like the birds at that time should be fine. I have shot a limit of greenheads late in the season up here a bunch of times, so having some greenheads definitely is a good idea. I use a moderate-sized spread with a mix of species, and it seems to always bring in birds.

I might hold back on the number of drakes in a spread early on in the season if the birds are not coming right in, but I really doubt it will hurt your options. Alaskan ducks see other 'ducks' and don't seem to care much beyond that. Just leave an inviting pocket and they will come.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

When doing a big spread I mix them in. But, now a days I usually throw out two or three hen deeks and enjoy. Not as much work, and at times sure seems to work better. But I have gotten to just hitting a few ponds, puddles, and such- no big water.
    I would like to try sea ducks sometime soon. I'll have to learn or go with someone for that.

Chris