Thread: Caribou hunt Timing

Default Caribou hunt Timing

Hi all, I've been lurking on the forum and have gained a lot of info for a caribou hunt I'm planning for 2012. We are going to be hunting in the Brooks Range but I have a question about timing. We (two of us) would like to hunt for caribou without velvet and was wondering about what time most bulls have lost the majority of their velvet. Are most hard horned by Sept 1st? Or is it later and just before the rut?Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mid to late September
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

You can usually be sure ALL will be hard-horned by the beginning of the 2nd week of Sept.

KU_GEO,

My observations and experiences....North slpoe caribou start rubbing off their velvet in very late Aug, very early Sept.
    Between, say Aug 26 and Sept 4, if five or six bulls come by your lookout (or whatever) one or two will have blood red or cardinal red horns, having just recently rubbed. If you shoot one of the bulls still in velvet, the velvet will be tore up when the caribou "kill crashes" to the ground.
    Usually....