Thread: ocean boats

Default ocean boats

I have just moved from the Susitna river area down to SE and am looking for the right boat to get my family out on the water. I am pretty well sold on Hewescraft but am looking for the most boat for my buck. What are the differences between the Sportsman, Sportsman Pro V and the searunner? Any suggestions or warnings on what to get to run the inside waters of SE?

Ruckus

Exclamation

The differences are with and without extended transom softtops and then hardtops.

In Southeast you definately want to pay for the hardtop as it makes a huge difference in getting out of the weather. Hardtops and bulkheads can be warmed up. Canvass get you out of the rain and wind but are just as cold... and it is almost always rainy and cold down here.

Plus every year many soft top boats are ruined by snowloads being built up.

Sobie2

Definitely get the extended transom. It opens up a lot more deck room, includes a good size fish box, and the swim step is very useful. I've got buddies with 22' searunners with the ext. transom and hardtop. Great boats, probably the perfect solution for most of Southeast.

Default hewes

I believe the searunner's got a sharper V hull design as well but I'm not certain, I have the 20' sportsmans because I run the rivers too. If I was going strictly for an ocean boat I'd get the searunner w/ hard top if possible.
    luck