Thread: Interesting rifle find today

Default Interesting rifle find today

I picked up an nice mauser today because interesting and the price was right - it is always great when that happens!

Rifle is a 98 mauser in .270 winchester. It is very nicely stocked classic style although I'll probably refinish the stock as it has some water marks. The action is a MK XX but apparently an early one as it has the CZ markings and Zastava- Yugosolvia on the side back of the receiver ring under the Interarms markings. Serial number is A 13xxx which appears early.

Trigger is a Canjar single set with side safety- that alone caught my eye. The barel is marked GR Douglas with the XX in a oval designating a premium barrel. On the bottom of the barrel it is stamped '255 10 72" - I suspect the 10 72 is the date - no clue as what the 255 is for. Also interesting is that there are several dimples on the bottom flat of the receiver ring from hardness testing and "30 RC" scribed on it. Perhaps Douglas did this when he rebarreled it?

I'll glass bed it and see how well it shoots. If it shoots well I'll rust blue it and add to my collection as a keeper. I needed another .270 anyway
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I was eyeballing that one last time I went to GNG myself. Looked to be nicely done, somebody was probably pretty proud of it back in the day. Nice find.

Nice find, I like a 98 Mauser action indeed.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Glad you passed it by - thanks! It went to a good home.

Trigger was adjusted wrong - got it working fine now. I like the Canjar triggers - a shame they stopped making them but I guess they would be very pricey if they were still on the market - lots of machining and fitting although a modern wire EDM would help.

Kinda of surprising they didn't start with a nicer stock blank with all the time and money they put into it - wood is nice but plain.

Any idea on who would have tested the hardness? If I recall 30 RC is common for a modern 98.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I was eyeballing that one last time I went to GNG myself. Looked to be nicely done, somebody was probably pretty proud of it back in the day. Nice find.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I recall EC Bishop stock company putting some of these guns together before they went away. I have seen a few of them, this looks like one of the run. Strangley, none of them were marked Bishop.