Thread: Jet expert needed!

Default Jet expert needed!

I rebuilt the jet on my older Evinrude and now the grease comes out real thin and gray. It did not do this before. The bearing I removed was bad. I replaced ALL seals with new parts. Ran it for a couple of hours and found the thin grease. Remaved the jet and took it to a very trustworthy shop to check my work and was told that I did it correctly. They put new seals in anyway. I just ran it for an hour again and the thin grease is still there. Any ideas?

Is the grease thin due to water contamination (emulsified with the water to make it like peanut butter and grey in color) or was it thin due to heat (still same color only lower viscosity)?
    Did you pump enough through to get good grease coming out of the purge hole? How much "thin" grease did you get back, one little shot or all of it is contaminated as you purged the bearing?
    BK

It is much thinner than PB, and a darker grey. I pumped a lot of grease to flush it all out. I was told that maybe my water pump gasket may be bad, forcing water past the seals. Going to look at that tonight.

From your description....it sounds like you are closing in on your issue.
    Sure sounds like water contamination.
    BK