Thread: Karta River POW

Default Karta River POW

My buddy and I have rented the Karta River cabin for the first week of October, hoping to have some silver fun. I read some previous forum posts and one mentions being able to boat up to Karta Lake from the salt. Google maps says the lake elevation is 129 feet or so, so I can see how it can be done. We each have kayaks, and portaging is not out of the question if it is possible and within reason. I know anything is "possible", but if it doesn't make sense, I sure would appreciate hearing that and not wasting our time bringing the kayaks.

Beyond that, any river fishing advice, and shrimping/crab/halibut in the bay would be greatly appreciate also.

Thanks!

anyone? I am at a loss!

The river is not boatable. I would plan on a long portage if you want to fish the lake from your Kayak. Just curious as to how your getting your boat out there. Most people usually fly out from Ketchikan.

Shrimp are out in Kassan Bay in about 250 / 300 ft ... There will be plenty of Crab in close to the mouth of the river in 60 to 100 ft or so.

Halibut will also be found out in the deeper parts of Kassan Bay. Not in any numbers but there are a few around.

thanks for the reply and info. my friend and I are coming down from Wrangell in our larger boat, a 30' Sisu downeast lobster boat. we did, yesterday, eventually manage to speak with someone from the FS that is familiar with both the cabin and trail up to the lake, and she described it as being possible with the portage, but if it is too long and too arduous, sounds more like a killer probably not worth trying. might be better just to fish what is accessible from the cabin up, plus I understand the silvers are fresher down low.

I have also read that there is a fall run of steelhead, which would be a great bonus for sure.
    As far as halibut and shrimping, thanks a lot for the advice. A AKFG biologist sand the humps just off of Sandy Point should have some fish. And, just like you said, expect shrimp in 300'.

Again, thanks for the reply.

First of all, the lady you spoke with is a retard. The hike from the cabin to the lake will take a while. Portaging a kayak? Dear god, makes me wonder who you talked to. Not an option man. Your timing should be pretty good for steelhead and I would spend some time researching that angle. Stay at the cabin by the salt and hike up the river looking and fishing for steelhead. That is my suggestion. Forget you have kayaks unless you plan on fishing the bay or dropping some crab pots (which I recommend). Email some area bios and ask about steelhead timing. You could be a bit early, but I am not certain. They are a great source of info. For fun, ask them about taking the kayaks up to the lake. ha ha...

I took this image 100 yards from the cabin...

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dan,
    Okay, bag the kayaks up to the lake. This is supposed to be a vacation and I am not in to pain like when I was younger. For too many years I busted my ass bushwhacking up rivers and hopefully am a little bit smarter now.

Truth is, I'd rather fish for steelies all the time and the thought of finding any has really got me going.
    Thanks to both you and Johnnie for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by steelguy View Post

I'd rather fish for steelies all the time and the thought of finding any has really got me going.

Their ain't no steelies in SE Alaska.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Their ain't no steelies in SE Alaska.

Looks like a chum to me.
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-06-2011 at 21:10.

Close your pie hole old man

Thanks for the info earlier as well. Johnnie, you too.

ha ha...

-Dan

I meant The No Name River Chum.

This is turning into a steelhead thread and that's fine with me! And Dan, I know that fish is really a lake trout and somewhere in one of those vest pockets you got a big old red magic marker!! I remember seeing your original post with the fish and very much enjoyed reading it, thanks.

Your welcome man. I think the more you learn about steelhead on the Karta, the more excited about your upcoming trip you will become. It is a lovely area for sure. The trail up to the lake is about 2 miles give or take. Very cool rain forest environment. I saw it in spring and I am sure fall is just as lovely.

-Dan

Thanks Brian

I'm pretty sure that's a Humpie .... ain't no Steelhead in the Karta ....

It's amazing what one can do with photoshop

Wink

spawning "humpies"
    had some extra time on my hands 5 years ago, so I put an addition out the side of my house for these twoP1170005.jpg