Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miller's Landing Silvers

Default Miller's Landing Silvers

How will I fish for these from the beach at millers landing campground this weekend?

I don't feel like bringing out my 14' Alaskan Series, its never been near the ocean and is nothing but the raft and the outboard.... or is the boat necessary to catch anything?

thanks guys,

Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by morganater View Post
    How will I fish for these from the beach at millers landing campground this weekend?

I don't feel like bringing out my 14' Alaskan Series, its never been near the ocean and is nothing but the raft and the outboard.... or is the boat necessary to catch anything?

thanks guys,

Morgan
    i took my inflatable 12 ft out last weekend and hooked up a few times between lowell creek and millers landing. would be worth it on a boat since you dont have to go out deep to catch silvers. i was pretty much hugging the shore line in about 100 ft of water.

Another vote to take the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by morganater View Post

thanks guys,

Morgan
    From shore you can use pixees, vibrax sz 4, herring suspended under a bobber or the alaskan dry fly (snagging hook).
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I would take the boat, its easy to launch down at the beach. If you dont want to take the boat I suggest making the hike down to Tonsina creek for bank fishing. good luck

How far of a hike is it to Tonsina Creek?

Take a boat. I take my kayak. It will improve your odds immensely this time of year. Hooked a bunch of silvers from miller's landing to Caines Head. Seemed just as good close as it did out further. Its a matter of running into the schools. Saw a guy walking up the beach carting two fish last weekend. I hooked a few silvers last weekend maybe 50 to 100 yards away from the closest shore fisherman. Too far to cast, but not too far for a raft, kayak, float tube maybe?

If you are going to fish from shore, my recommendation would be a fairly large slip bobber that can accommodate enough lead to cast a good distance. Set the slip bobber for 6 to 8 ft. In my experience from shore, bait always seems to outfish lures from shore. Not sure why that is since from a boat, the ratio seems a lot closer bait vs hardware.

My blogs (see sig) has a video of coho fishing the west shore recently....

You can rent skiffs from Millers Landing..it's what I'm planning to do when I get there. Check out Kardinal's video, pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Billybobsky View Post
    Looks to be about 1.1 miles as the crow flies from Miller's landing area.

I've seen 14 foot john boats at the head of the Res. Bay! I would take your boat, if the weather turns snotty you can always fish from shore. I've fished out of drift boats in Res. Bay for silvers. As mentioned, stay close to shore and you will be fine.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

is the boat launch at millers landing OK for a junky old boat trailer?

I see people launching with regular 4wd trucks. No cement just packed beach gravel. But it doesn't seem to be loose like Deep Creek. I can safely drive my civic most of the way down the "ramp". That's the south beach ramp. I think millers uses that ramp at low tide with a tractor.

Your talking about the south beach launch area, be careful of the surf coming over the transom if you are not quick with the launch. Millers can put you in with their tractor for a small fee at their ramp

Avoid Millers at all costs & use the south beach launch. As Kardinal mentioned it is not soft at all & is easy on any tide as long as the waves aren't breaking. I have used it for years to launch inflatables with no issues.

Be warned, many bears in that area.

The hike along the trail took me about 45 mins if I remember correctly.

Didnt see any bears when I went but would be a real sh*tty place to run into one because the trail is quite narrow.

Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Avoid Millers at all costs & use the south beach launch. As Kardinal mentioned it is not soft at all & is easy on any tide as long as the waves aren't breaking. I have used it for years to launch inflatables with no issues.
    Where's this at?

yes it does

They dont charge to use that access do they?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast