Thread: Kimber 8400 Montana 200gr loads

Smile Kimber 8400 Montana 200gr loads

I have bought a Kimber 8400 Montana 30-06 (24" barrel) and a Leupold VXIII Boone & Crockett 3.5-10x40mm. I have decided to use this instead of the 300Win or my 300WBY, the Kimber is lighter and also the 30-06 has less recoil. The Leupold will allow me to use my 30-06 with 180 or 200gr bullet out to 500 yds on a combined elk and bear hunt this coming fall. Any body have good loads for 200gr Sierra SBT or 200gr Nosler Accubond? I would prefer the 200gr over the 180gr and if I can get 2650 to 2700fps out of a 200gr load the zero on the Boone & Crockett scope is the same for both bullet weights because of the coefficient of the 200gr. I will be trying the following powders and loads for the 200gr bullets mentioned above. MRP 58gr, RL-22 57gr, IMR4831 56gr, IMR4350 54gr, and RL-19 56gr. If any of you have good fast accurate loads for the 200gr bullets mentioned above (or any other BT or Spitzer 200gr), I would really appreciate it. This would save me some time and money so please let me know. beartooth

Hi beartooth -- Kimber rifle$ are very nice. I have looked at them on $everal occ*****ion$. :-) I suppose I am wed to Brownings (BLR and A-bolt), though. Took down a 6X6 elk with the BLR .243 100gr at about 250 yards. A laser beam through the heart. I have seen 06 hot loads with pumpkin tops (220gr) stretch the cases -- heard others claim the cases have split -- not so sure the pumpkin tops are a good choice for distance.

Default Where

Beartooth: are you talking about Norma MRP? If so could you give me a reference for a reliable source for this powder? I have shot some in my 300 Canadian but have never been able to find enough of the same lot number to do any serious load development much less load any for hunting. Availability in Alaska is about like hen's teeth.

Default Norma

Norma makes a real fine bullet at 200 grains: Oryx. They also load them fairly hot at over 3000 ft/lbs at the muzzle.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskariverrat View Post
    Hi beartooth -- Kimber rifle$ are very nice. I have looked at them on $everal occ*****ion$. :-) I suppose I am wed to Brownings (BLR and A-bolt), though. Took down a 6X6 elk with the BLR .243 100gr at about 250 yards. A laser beam through the heart. I have seen 06 hot loads with pumpkin tops (220gr) stretch the cases -- heard others claim the cases have split -- not so sure the pumpkin tops are a good choice for distance.
    I will not be using real hot loads and the Boone&Crockett scope works just like they say it does so I can shoot long shots and have done so with the scope. Just looking for more loads that have been accurate for other hunters with 200gr bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Beartooth: are you talking about Norma MRP? If so could you give me a reference for a reliable source for this powder? I have shot some in my 300 Canadian but have never been able to find enough of the same lot number to do any serious load development much less load any for hunting. Availability in Alaska is about like hen's teeth.
    I can't remember where the shop was I found online where I order two pounds of Norma MRP. If you look online you will find dealers for MRP.

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Norma makes a real fine bullet at 200 grains: Oryx. They also load them fairly hot at over 3000 ft/lbs at the muzzle.

Ron
    Ron, our you talking about Norma ammunition. I will check out the Oryx bullet. Do you know anyone who has used this bullet and what the results were on the game they shot.

Here is my Kimber 8400 Montana 30-06 and one of my groups at 200yds.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS