Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E.O. Little Sue Goes to No Bait

Default E.O. Little Sue Goes to No Bait

SPORT FISHING
    Emergency OrderALASKA DEPARTMENT OF FISH & GAMEUnder Authority of AS 16.05.060
    Emergency Order No. 2-SS-2-26-11 Issued at: Palmer, Wednesday August 3, 2011

Effective Date: 12:01 a.m., Saturday, August 6, 2011 Expiration Date: 11:59 p.m. September 30, 2011, unless superseded by subsequent emergency order.

EXPLANATION:
    This emergency order prohibits the use of bait on the Little Susitna River effective 12:01 a.m., Saturday, August 6, 2011, through 11:59 p.m., Friday, September 30, 2011. Only unbaited, artificial lures may be used. The area affected by this emergency order includes all waters of the Little Susitna River from its confluence with Cook Inlet upstream to the Parks Highway. A person who takes a bag limit of salmon 16” or longer from the Little Susitna River may not fish for any species of fish in the Little Susitna River downstream of the Parks Highway that same day.REGULATION:The provisions of 5 ACC 60.122. Special provisions and localized additions and exceptions to the seasons, bag, possession, and size limits, and methods and means for the Knik Arm Drainages Area. (9)(B) are superseded by this emergency order. Under this emergency order, the following provisions are effective beginning Saturday, August 6, 2011, through 11:59 p.m., Friday, September 30, 2011: 5 ACC 60.122 Special provisions and localized additions and exceptions to the seasons, bag, possession, and size limits, and methods and means for the Knik Arm Drainages Area.(9) in the Little Susitna River drainage,(B) from August 6–September 30, in the flowing waters from its mouth upstream to the Parks Highway, only unbaited, artificial lures may be used; Cora Campbell, Commissioner By delegation to: ____________________________ Sam Ivey, Area Management BiologistJUSTIFICATION:The Little Susitna River coho salmon sustainable escapement goal (SEG) is 10,100–17,700. In 2009 and 2010, the SEG was not achieved. Harvest can exceed escapement on average run years due to the high effort in this sport fishery. By August 6, approximately 50 percent of the harvest has typically taken place in the sport fishery. Indices of the coho run to Cook Inlet generated by the department’s Offshore Test Fishery (OTF) were the lowest recorded since 1993. Commercial harvest in the Central District drift fishery as of July 29 was the lowest on record by this date since 1999. The sport fish exit survey conducted at the Little Susitna Public Use Facility indicates below average catch rates, and are substantiated by guide and angler reports of low fishing success under good fishing conditions. Based on these indices of run strength it is justified to slow the harvest of coho salmon at the Little Susitna to ensure the SEG is met. It is anticipated that restricting the use of bait will reduce harvest by 40-50 percent and save up to 3,200 fish. DISTRIBUTION:The distribution list for this emergency order is on file at the Region 2 Office of Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Division of Sport Fish, 333 Raspberry Road, Anchorage, AK 99518, (907) 267-2218.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

It's a start!

Thank you Sam Ivey!!
    Now lets all hope they show up in mass late then open it back up.

Bill Booth

why dont they nock the limit back to one silver in addition to no bait like they have done in the past?...

That's awesome, too bad it's due to late/low numbers.

good job! I agree they should pull the limit back to one as well
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Make it a permanent ban for kings too and no more C&R and it would be a start.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

It would not hurt my feelings to see the Little Su's season for kings reduced to just a couple week window. I would also be ok with having boat rules like the Kenai as it getting rediculous down there with all the boats and blue 2 stroke smoke. This would make me upgrade, and it would be a bullet to bite, but I could live with it. One thing for sure is it is one of the nicest, if not the nicest river in the valley, and it is a crying shame to see it abused the way it has been for the last 10 or so years. Man, it really gets fished hard at times. I hope the restrictions help. I'd like for my kids to be able to have the same kind of fun I have had there.

What needs to be done is to close the river to let it repair itself.

Quote Originally Posted by wbooth View Post
    Thank you Sam Ivey!!
    Now lets all hope they show up in mass late then open it back up.

Bill Booth
    Thank you Li'l Su guides who stepped up to lobby for the EO!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Thank you Li'l Su guides who stepped up to lobby for the EO!
    If will or andy stepped up to make this happen let me know, I will book a trip right now, pm me and let's go flyfishing.

Nice! Way to Go! so much for locals taking their young kids out and using bait. Many kids have a hard enough time getting interested in fishing and casting lures all day, though may be fun for older kids and adults, it will make it tough and maybe unenjoyable for younger kids and they will loose interst. To bad they do not make and age exception. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by akarrows View Post
    Nice! Way to Go! so much for locals taking their young kids out and using bait. Many kids have a hard enough time getting interested in fishing and casting lures all day, though may be fun for older kids and adults, it will make it tough and maybe unenjoyable for younger kids and they will loose interst. To bad they do not make and age exception. Oh well.
    Coho are stupid easy to catch when they are present in decent numbers. They can be tough when they're not.... and this year, they're not. So whether you fish with or without bait, it's gonna be tough... for kids or adults.

Lots of alternatives to bait.

Spinners
    Spoons
    Plugs
    Jigs
    Flies

all with VERY effective results for kids.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=213332
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

we have tried them all and the kids get very frustrated and loose interest. I love to get the kids out and bait is just one alternative that has great rsults for the kids. I could care less if i catch fish but watching the kids have a great time is priceless, fish and game needs to relize this and make some exceptions or atleast open the fishery up to bait ona few days of the week for kids it is about the kids and that is why I am so dissapointed.

Default You are welcome

Because
    if it were to open to bait in two years you could use Dupont lure and would not catch any.
    I had one Barbie rod with spider wire ready to go, she can wait one more year.

well good luck with the barbie rod and spider wire after about an hour of casting and nothing to show for it if she is young enough she will either get bored, want to go home, or go to sleep. As stated below it there should be an age limit ot use bait. It sounds like folks are more interested on teh guide side of things making money that worrying about kids and getting kids involved in the outdoors. Good luck to your little girl hope she catches some fish. It is not about the adults ability to catch fish. My argument is for the kids and giving them more tools in the tackle box to catch a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by akgiauque View Post
    Because
    if it were to open to bait in two years you could use Dupont lure and would not catch any.
    I had one Barbie rod with spider wire ready to go, she can wait one more year.
    If she can wait, then so can you. The Little Susitna has been in a downward spin for years.
    The river needs to be shut down. There are plenty of other rivers to fish in.

And the masses will congregate on another river....probably overfishing those as well.
    Shut all the valley rivers down and wait till the escapement quota is met.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    And the masses will congregate on another river....probably overfishing those as well.
    Shut all the valley rivers down and wait till the escapement quota is met.
    BK
    Your right. At least to boat traffic they should. And limit the amount of nets in the UCI!

Quote Originally Posted by akarrows View Post
    well good luck with the barbie rod and spider wire after about an hour of casting and nothing to show for it if she is young enough she will either get bored, want to go home, or go to sleep. As stated below it there should be an age limit ot use bait. It sounds like folks are more interested on teh guide side of things making money that worrying about kids and getting kids involved in the outdoors. Good luck to your little girl hope she catches some fish. It is not about the adults ability to catch fish. My argument is for the kids and giving them more tools in the tackle box to catch a fish.
    I grew up salmon fishing on Lake Michigan. Sometimes hours spent staring, waiting for a rod to pop. Loved it and got me totally hooked. It's in your blood or it isn't.

The argument you make was used to get youth only deer seasons here in Michigan. Most of the "youth" hunting that goes on is dad taking junior out early so they have the best pick of the deer. By the time regular season starts, the deer are already freaked out and hard to hunt for the other 95% of us who can't afford to belong to a private lodge. Instead of teaching our kids that they're entitled to special privileges, let's teach them patience and appreciation for just being outdoors. I think we have enough entitled people already? My 2c

PS I have two little guys so I understand where you're coming from, but it won't kill them to wait. You don't get proficient at any sport without paying your dues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast