View Poll Results: If you had your choice which one do you pick?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Win 70

46 66.67%
  • Ruger 77

18 26.09%
  • Wby Van Ser 2

5 7.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-06 pick one?

Default 30-06 pick one?

OK, figure I gotta have an 06 someday so may do some gun cabinet cleaning and narrowed it down to 3 I like.
    How about some input as to which one? I sure do like Stids mod 70 ....

A. Win 70 SS Extreme Weather Syn stock
    B. Ruger 77 Hawkeye SS Syn stock
    C. Wby Vanguard Series 2 SS Syn stock

Win seems to have the most overall features - highest price
    Ruger middle of the pack -
    Wby great value with solid features - maybe best trigger???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Well, I voted for the Ruger 77, but I would say it is about tied with the Win 70. Since I handload CRF is very important to me as it keeps the brass much closer, not a big deal really, and maybe not of any issue to you but a nice feature. So that rules out the Vanguard to me. Ruger gets the node over two very mild issues, first it comes with scope rings for there excellent mounting system so that is an extra $50 dollars or more saved over the Winchester. Second, While I like the model 70 I think they are over priced and have been for a number of years now, but I am cheap. One place I do like the Winchester is the firing pin can be field stripped, unlike the Ruger, which is nice but rarely a big deal. Also if we are talking about an older model 70 with the simple, fully adjust trigger, than that would be big points in its favor, maybe enough to justify the cost.

If you need a bobby'pin, nail, penny, or paper clip to field strip the bolt..........I don't want it in the field. Voted for M-70

Quote Originally Posted by bandhmo View Post
    Second, While I like the model 70 I think they are over priced and have been for a number of years now, but I am cheap. One place I do like the Winchester is the firing pin can be field stripped, unlike the Ruger, which is nice but rarely a big deal. Also if we are talking about an older model 70 with the simple, fully adjust trigger, than that would be big points in its favor, maybe enough to justify the cost.
    bandhmo, a couple things that I have learned with age is the price diff can be really put into perspective when you consider it will cost you MUCH more in ammo, travel expenses, and what you choose to hunt vs the cost of the gun, and resale value will likely make it a better value most of the time to "upgrade" within reason.
    Being cost minded is great but something as simple as not being able to field strip a bolt on a once in a lifetime trip may make the savings on a gun pretty costly in the big picture... I have an older Ruger 77 that I really enjoy shooting and it is extremely accurate - but on a remote fly in trip I am not sure that would be my choice if I have an option.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

bandhmo, a couple things that I have learned with age is the price diff can be really put into perspective when you consider it will cost you MUCH more in ammo, travel expenses, and what you choose to hunt vs the cost of the gun, and resale value will likely make it a better value most of the time to "upgrade" within reason.
    I really can't argue with you not this. When I look at the price of a gun and then look at how much in ammo or reloading supplies I spend in a few years, it does put things in perspective.

I should clarify a little on the M77 bolt. The bolt shroud with firing pin, spring, and cocking piece unscrews just like the M70 or a M98. The difference is the way the cocking piece is attached to the firing pin on the M77 it is not easy to disassemble them from the bolt shroud to really get that last speck of dirt. As far as I am concerned though the ultimate in field striping is still the Mauser 98. Which would also make a good option, I really like my Interarms Mark X.

I voted for the Model 70 for one reason only, because I simply hate the Ruger the overmolded stock on the .375 Hawkeyes. It wasn't until after a little research I found out that they use a different stock on the 30-06's... so now it's a tie for me. I would feel confortable with either rifle. I happen to carry a stainless 77 with a laminated stock that I like very much.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I voted for the Model 70 for one reason only, because I simply hate the Ruger the overmolded stock on the .375 Hawkeyes. It wasn't until after a little research I found out that they use a different stock on the 30-06's... so now it's a tie for me. I would feel comfortable with either rifle. I happen to carry a stainless 77 with a laminated stock that I like very much.
    I sure like the laminated stock on my 1895XLR 4570 - I think its very durable and I like the looks. I only have 1 poly stocked gun - browning ABolt SStalker in 300win mag - but the son usually latches on to that when we get a big hunt set up and I hope to do another moose hunt or two so looking at an all weather gun, and since I have never had an 06 I figure that would make a nice knock around gun and still be a suitable moose getter!
    Sold a gun tonight to another forum AK member and now its decision time - mod 70 is sure looking right to me!

I vote for the Mod. 70 since I grew up with them and still use them. Here I go again with the trigger. The Mod. 70 had what I think is about as good a hunting trigger as a big game rifle could have. If yours is a new one it has the new trigger. I also like the bolt and safety features of the Mod. 70. As a poster stated earlier, the bolt is easily field stripped with out tools and the safety locks the bolt down and blocks the sear and trigger. Put it in the middle position and the bolt unscrews for field stripping. Although I like the "controlled round feed" feature, that is not why I shoot a Mod. 70. The simple and reliable old style trigger and the ease of field stripping the bolt are. I can't really speak to the other rifles as I don't use them. Seems like the main criteria these days for a big game rifle is how small a group it can shoot. I like tiny groups too, I just like other features on a rifle more, because they are more important to me. I'm probably being anal about this. I doubt very many of us will ever spend enough time in the woods and mountains and boats and shoot enough animals to really test a rifles reliability. Shooting at the range won't do it.

I am ashamed that I have never field stripped anything other than an M-16 and M-60, marlin 39A and that is it. Need to do that even if I never have had to. Did that with a manual clutch on a Chevy 1500 and that paid off. My 06 is an 1903 and thus would be my default go to, just love the Old Boomers. But if I had to pick a new one it would be the M-70. just cause that is like the Chevy and Ford clutch, I'll figure the rest out. :O)

I hear ya 338 mag, I have a win 70 Super Grade in 300wm that just feels sooo good as its fit and balance seem to be just right.
    It is about 15 yrs old and if memory serves me I bought it after a revamp of Winchesters quality control and they were putting more effort in reproducing the pre 64 features? Anyway, it has a decent trigger that I have not done anything to and it shoots very good. Most of what I read on the new Win trigger seems positive ( but so does the Ruger L6 trigger reports ) so I think either has plenty good enough triggers to achieve minute-of-moose accuracy! And, there are plenty of Timney and Basic triggers out there to plug in if its an issue....
    You are also right that you and I have reached a point in life we likely will not wear out any rifles from overuse!

The super grade Mod 70 I had was so cool, can't believe now that I let that thing go when I was a young man, but that might be the reason, I was a young man.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Well, I guess I wont be much help.. I would personally pick a Remington, Sako, Browning, Tikka, Howa or CZ (not necessarily in that order) before any of the three you have listed.

I have never had a Win 70 that would shoot worth a hoot out of the box and each one seemed to be slightly heavier than a comparable Remington.

I like Ruger handguns but there rifles always seem cheap, clunky and poorly fitted to me.

Weatherby… never had one, never shot one, don’t know nothing about them.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I was going to ask what is wrong with the Remington?

There are three 30-06's in my safe, a Charles Daly Mauser, a Remington 700, and a Cooper. The first two will be sold.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    I was going to ask what is wrong with the Remington?

There are three 30-06's in my safe, a Charles Daly Mauser, a Remington 700, and a Cooper. The first two will be sold.
    boliep I think you answered your own question since you are going to sell it! LOL
    I have some Rem 700's and they are fine shooters - nothing wrong with'em, just picked the 3 I did for fun and I do like the Win70 and Ruger. The Wby Van I have never owned or shot - reviews are good and I like the looks and feel of the ones I have held so tossed it in the mix to see how many fans there are and maybe get some pros and cons...
    I do favor a controlled round feed and extractor a bit though...

Went with the new SC mod 70, just like'um better and unlike alanaq ive never had or shot a mod 70 that wasn't a decent shooter, but I don't have any from 2004/5

[QUOTE=Smokey;985831]boliep I think you answered your own question since you are going to sell it! LOL
    QUOTE]

The other two would not be for sale if I had not gotten the Cooper. That rifle is so far superior to anything else I have ever fired that the Remington and the mauser are expendable.

There is nothing wrong with the Winchester or the Ruger. I have Ruger rifles too but all of them are older. Any of the ones mentioned by you or by me will do the job as long as the shooter puts the bullet in the right place. Love the caliber too.

Besides, it is your poll and you can put what you want in it.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly1 View Post
    Went with the new SC mod 70, just like'um better and unlike alanaq ive never had or shot a mod 70 that wasn't a decent shooter, but I don't have any from 2004/5
    Me too, my 70 300wm is a great shooter - had a cpl featherweights that shot great years ago!

Mauser 98 gets my untabulated vote.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly1 View Post
    I dont / didnt have any from 2004/5 either (Model 70's that is) the poor performers I had were mid to late 90's. The only one I still have is a push feed 375H&H and some bedding, barrel lapping, and new crown brought accuracy up to acceptable levels. Very accurate actually!

My point wasnt that they all suck, because i think they are fine rifles, just that I would likely pick something else if it were an option.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Remington 700

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast