Thread: Whittier Silver Salmon Timing?

Default Whittier Silver Salmon Timing?

Anyone know if the timing has changed on the Whittier hatchery fish? Is fish and Game in charge of the stocking now? Heard that a brood stock with an earlier timing is now being used. Guess we won't be seeing those fall fish anymore.

Not sure if my supposed answer is correct. My wife & I caught several silvers out of Whitier about a week ago. Whether they were 'hatchery fish' or not- I don't know. Is there a way to tell if it is native or hatchery like fins chipped?

I haven't seen any fall fish to speak of for about three years.

You are correct. Ester is now using earlier fish. The days of catching them in the snow are probably over. The good news is that there will be many more of them. Ester has increased production and Whittier has new net pens and is now releasing silvers as well as kings (started last spring). Ester is predicting a return of 220,000 silvers this year as oppossed to the dismal 9500 last season.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore View Post
    You are correct. Ester is now using earlier fish. The days of catching them in the snow are probably over. The good news is that there will be many more of them. Ester has increased production and Whittier has new net pens and is now releasing silvers as well as kings (started last spring). Ester is predicting a return of 220,000 silvers this year as oppossed to the dismal 9500 last season.
    I was about to say the same thing. The past several years have been a bit off when it comes to the terminal harvest area. It used to be you could mooch up a bunch of silvers really close to town, but the past few years it hasn't been like that. Last year was the fewest fish I could remember seeing near Salmon Run. The number of kings they released last year was, I think, around 100,000 (I may be way off there, so if anyone has a more accurate number please feel free to correct me). In a few years it will be interesting to see what kind of return there is. I'd love to see Whittier develop a fun, productive sport fishery and have their derby become one lots of people enter.

So, this all begs the question: Are they in yet? Can I go catch some from shore? Last year sucked...I probably went down there half a dozen times and never caught one, and only saw a few on stringers the whole time. It'd be nice to actually get a few this year, so if anyone sees them in the harbor or Salmon Run or Smitty's, feel free to share the info.

http://www.pwsac.com/2011%20PWSAC%20Forecast.pdf

There have been some at Pigot for a few weeks and some were doing well trolling near the harbor. I've heard of a few caught from the beach, but haven't seen any myself.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjn View Post
    Anyone know if the timing has changed on the Whittier hatchery fish? Is fish and Game in charge of the stocking now? Heard that a brood stock with an earlier timing is now being used. Guess we won't be seeing those fall fish anymore.
    No, PWSAC enhances Whittier. They switched stocks, why I don't know

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

You do know that a few state run hatcherys where shut down and a new one built, very very high tech, great tour, see Elmendorf Hatchery's web site for the whole story.