Thread: Dalton Highway Bou Hunt - Aug '11

Default Dalton Highway Bou Hunt - Aug '11

Getting ready to go up north next week for 6 days of archery Caribou hunting on the slope. I have done a fair amount of research and am feeling pretty comfortable with my preparations. I am wondering if anyone knows of a place in Prudhoe where I could hang meat? Any other game care tips for up there? For that matter, any other tips in general for a mid August Caribou hunt? Any idea's for velvet antler preservation? Any tips are welcome. Thanks!

Unless you have a friend in Deadhorse who has his own shop, I doubt you'll find a place up there. It's not really set up for anything other than oil company business. I've only been there in the winter but it seemed like Deadhorse was not much more than a bunch of service company shops and a graveyard of old oil derricks, BOPs etc. lol

If you are looking to hang it just to get it off the ground take some poles and lash a tripod or something like that, also the pipeline access gates work really well for hanging meat as well... not sure if they'll get after you for that but its an idea. Good luck

Default hanging meat

Work up and down the road. Most meat is hung on branches tied up to make a meat rack that I've seen. Grab sticks along the Sag to make your own or take your own. Doubt if you will have any luck in Deadhorse for meat, it ain't oil.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Toddd:You may want to check out the Alaska Bowhunting thread--there is a ton of information on Haul Road hunting there.

Thanks All! Anyone want to chime in on the antler care. I am assuming I will be dealing with Velvet antlers? I would prefer to keep the velvet on and in good shape. I have heard a couple of ideas of how to do so, but would love to hear others methods.

Easy meat rack:

Take 3 2x4s and trim one end to 45 degrees and drill a 5/16 hole 6" from the other end.
    Then bolt them together with a 6" carriage bolt and a wingnut.

Set up as a tripod and hang your bags.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Todd: Antler care has been discussed on the Bowhunting thread. Just do a search there. Eric: Your tripod is my exact design--and an added benefit toward the end of the hunt is you can have a good fire with no great loss!