Thread: Will smoked salmon last if mailed to the lower 48?

Default Will smoked salmon last if mailed to the lower 48?

I smoked a bunch of reds and vacuum sealed them. I'd like to send some down to friends and relatives in the lower 48, but don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to have it shipped. Do you think the smoked salmon would make it ok if it took a week to get to someone down there? If so, what would be the best way to package it cheaply?

Quote Originally Posted by biglou001 View Post
    I smoked a bunch of reds and vacuum sealed them. I'd like to send some down to friends and relatives in the lower 48, but don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to have it shipped. Do you think the smoked salmon would make it ok if it took a week to get to someone down there? If so, what would be the best way to package it cheaply?
    There was a thread posted recently with this exact info in it. Some really specific info cant remember it all off the top of my head though.

Found the link.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-smoked-salmon
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I have had good luck getting it in good shape from Soldotna to Dubuque Iowa, and to Spokane Washington with insulation and dry ice. I did not know that you had to declare the dry ice to mail, ooops.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

your safest bet if you don't want to overnight it is is to get a hold of a pressure cooker and can it (actually "jar" it). then it won't matter how long it takes to get there. Although it will weigh more, at least you know it will be good when it gets there. It also tastes way better canned as it keeps the moisture ... just add a bit of jalapeno juice to the jars.

I been sending it to relatives for decades using priority air mail. Now I just pack a Flat Rate box full and send it. It has never gone bad.

Smoking is a form of preservation. Now, if you are lightly smoking it, without brining, then I would not send it.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I been sending it to relatives for decades using priority air mail. Now I just pack a Flat Rate box full and send it. It has never gone bad.

Smoking is a form of preservation. . .
    . . same here . .

Same here. I fill the Flat Rate box and off it goes. Never a problem...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

With the heat going on now in the Lower 48 (triple digits), would you not worry about it going bad (unless it's canned)? I know it's smoked, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    With the heat going on now in the Lower 48 (triple digits), would you not worry about it going bad (unless it's canned)? I know it's smoked, but still...
    We usually send ours down to friends in Texas at Christmas. Don't believe I'd do it now for the reason you mentioned above. Positively brutal heat down there at present.