Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaving your kill.

Default Leaving your kill.

Was thinking about a few threads I have read about coming bask to your kill site to continue the packing job. Was wondering what some of you do to keep the predators away. While hunting in Texas the Coyotes would pick a whitetail clean in the time it took to go get your truck. I would take off my tee shirt and leave it on the animal. Never had a coyote bother one left this way. Has anyone tried anything like this to prevent bears and wolves form eating your game. I see Byron talking about urinating around the area. Can get exciting to come back and have old man Grizzly claim your moose. Ideas???

Steve

I once left a flashing strobe light on a moose kill overnight. The kind you usually see on a survival suit.

It worked no bears on the kill and there were plenty in the area.

I've never left a kill, but then again I always hunt with a partner and one of us stays. Quartered up a moose one night by wheeler headlights and flashlight, hope I don't have to do that again but I wouldn't pass up the oppertunity either. There sure are alot of sounds/calls at night that you don't usually get to listen too. Now that I'm thinking about it, you guys make me sound really lazy. Never have had to pack out a moose yet and it isn't because I'm not successful. I really enjoy those inexpensive meat hunts.

Pee all over it.

We quarter it, bag it and hang the bags from a tree... but I suppose if you're hunting in the tundra, you could pack one of those portable electric bear fences... backpackers and paddlers use 'em, I never have so I have no idea how bulky they are.

I third the "marking my territory" approach.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I piss all over it and leave a pair of underwear I have worn for three days on top of it.. works every time

A guy I know killed a dandy 50" bull one year where we used to hunt. They shot it right at dark and decided to just gut it and push the gut pile aside, prop a stick in the chest cavity and left it overnight. Came back the next morning and the moose was gone, he and his pard started freaking out initially thinking someone (other hunters) stole it but it didn't make sense. They started to investigate further and saw the drag where something or someone dragged it off. They found it 50 yards away partially buried with the antlers sticking up through the dirt. Didn't take long to realize what had done it and they bailed. They didn't feel safe digging the moose out and trying to recover it. I know he was totally freaked out that the bear that had done this was strong enough to drag the whole moose 50 yards , had to be a biggin. I have left a moose out overnight once in an area known to have griz, luckily it snowed 2" overnight which I suspect knocked the scent down a little. Moose was fine the next morning but **** hard to butcher cold and stiff. We were about 10 miles from camp and there was no good trail where we where at. We decided getting back to camp that night was important.

Default Elk

The only animals I have left out over night were Elk; in brown bear infested areas. If there were no trees close by we will leave a t-shirt on top of the carcass, and urinate in the vacinity, has worked so far....

what about being ethical and only taking the shot if you have enough daylight left to pack out the entire animal? THeres no shame in passing on a shot, not many of us really need the meat.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default I'm talking about while you pack it out!!!!!

I guess you pack the whole thing out in one trip. I am a very ethical hunter!
    Steve

crap happens and you can't always get it out before nightfall, for those who shoot animals that don't fit in a wheelbarrow...
    i've only ever lost one moose to bears, five grizz hit it that night, but other than that i've never gone outa my way to "claim" a kill even left deer on kodiak overnight with no problems, probably cause the bear was in camp eating the meat we carried out...shoulda left it all in the field i guess... but in 18 years i've only ever lost the one moose, so one outa a couple dozen over night carcasses i guess...something like that.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Marking your site

Had a something take a bear hide. Situation was brother harvested a bear in SE Alaska, walked back to cabin and after a couple of hours of fleshing the bear spread it out in the rafters of a meat shack next to the cabin. The bottom of the rafters were about 7 feet from the ground and the top of the rafters (to the hide) was about 8 feet from the ground. Next morning awoke to continue fleshing/working on the bear but the hide was gone. Lots and lots of rain and no tracks, we always wondered if another hunter or person too the hide, we searched for over 8 hours solid and off an on for two more days. The skull which we hung on a nail not 3 feet from the ground was there, long story to pass on to ADF&G but they understood the whole thing and said a year back a person lost 3 or 4 moose quarters in the same meat shack. All said brother was left with a tagged hide (non-resident $500 tag) which was gone and a skull in a bear every 4 years area. Next time I'll sleep on the hide, BTW the next night something big was in the meat shack as I set some noise (empty coleman fuel cans) traps out, freak the piss out of a guy but an adventure none the less.

Default 5 Grizz

What, did they sign in or something? Exactly 5? :*)

I've left partial moose at the kill site several times and have always returned the next morning to everything just the way I left it. Actually the ravens scare me just as much as the predators with teeth as they are out bright and early and they poop all over the carcass if they get to it first.

I heard this story second hand about a guy and a gal that shot a big brownie which fell dead in a fairly deep tidal pool along the coast. They went back to camp and took a come along out the next morning to drag the bear out of the water and another bear had pulled the carcass out of the tidal pool and had eviscerated it and ate the guts leaving the hide as neatly cut up the gut as if they had done it with a knife. True story????????????

This one has bugged me for years. I hunt mostly alone and sometimes from a cannoe. Once I have a moose down I mark my teritory around it( Been told a hundered times thats the thing to do) Then I start packing I allways aproach the kill site with all sense on fine tune, I look and listen carfully before I put my head down and get back too work. If I'm cannoing I dont waist time I get that moose home ASAP. I dont sleep all that well knowing no mater how carfully I washed up after hanging the game bags I still stink of moose and blood! (funny how when your alone in a tent 3 days paddle from the take out even a mouse fartting can sound like a bear!) So far I've had no problems. Actually I see alot more bears on fishing trips.

Rick P

Unhappy not much into eating my own pee

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    Pee all over it.
    sure know were i am not going for dinner,almost makes me want to puk thinking people would pee all over their meat and let it sit over night,marking the area and not the meat is a much better and tastier way to go.an old timer told me of a way that keeps the critters and bugs away-a smart hunter will always have game bags to protect his winter meat,prior to heading to the happy hunting grounds use some lemon juice and chille powder in a can or bucket and let sit for a bit rotating once in a while trying not to over soak it.

five grizz...we flew the carcass the next morning to check it, it was in a bad spot and five grizz were on it, a sow and two and a sow with one. good thing we flew, i'd have been in bad shape if i walked into those willows...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default unethical?????

I know nothing unethical about shooting an animal before dark???? What issue would there be?? No offense intended, but that is an odd question or statement. especially since NO ONE here is going to pack a moose out in one evening, unless you have some type of mechanized packing device (ie, atv,etc.). I think most people that shoot moose late in the evening get the animal gutted and return the next morning to finish the job, even with atv's. I have NEVER lost an animal to bears. I've only shot one moose that was what I call a "close pack" (less than a mile) and I did get it packed back before it got dark. 4 hard trips and it was done. Other moose were left for on or two nights and all came out good.

"NOT MANY OF US NEED THE MEAT"?????? Why in the heck are we hunting moose for? I know I USE the meat I get. I am not going to say I would starve without it, but having moose in the freezer sure helps on the food bill. I know some hunt for big horns (so do I), but the meat is equally as important if not more. I guess I will have to "become" more ethical in the future. LOL!
    Last edited by northway; 03-16-2007 at 11:10. Reason: left out info

Default Well said Northway!!!!

I think our long winters make folks a little grumpy. Without question for what I have spent chasing game I could have filled my freezer many times over, but what's the fun in that. When I have family come to visit, I like to serve, Sheep, Bou or Moose steaks. Can't buy any of this at Freddys. I guess it's just the caveman in me. Anything that I have put on the table has always just tasted better. Nothing like sitting around that hunting campfire roasting fresh meat and sharing that with good friends. Just like it has been done since man figured out how to start that first fire. Happy Hunting to all.

Steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast