Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Canoeing forum is constantly bombarded with SPAM...

  1. #1
    Member danattherock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,608

    Default Canoeing forum is constantly bombarded with SPAM...

    Everyone knows it, seems the first forum folks see gets all the SPAM.


    Why not create a fake forum and put it at the very top, perhaps an Alaska Basketweaving sub-forum


    Bait a trap? One few (or no) forum members actually read.


    Or just switch the frequently viewed Canoe sub-forum with the much less used Airboating sub-forum.


    Could be a nice change for the many of us that frequent the canoe forum, but are not interested in downloading "The Goonies"....


    ha ha...



    -Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

  2. #2

    Default

    Yeah Dan I agree something needs to be done. I believe the powers that be are working the issue. However its about to seem a lot worse than it has been in just under a week as 3 of the 4 top spam killers will be out of the pocket for two weeks or better so you'll see a lot more staying up for longer if nothing is done here shortly.

  3. #3
    Member moose-head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    @ Seminary, Dubuque Ia
    Posts
    839

    Default

    Great idea, maybe call it the canned meat cooking forum.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

  4. #4
    Member danattherock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,608

    Default

    Brilliant
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

  5. #5
    Member danattherock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,608

    Default

    Or "Alaska Movie Download Forum"



    Ha ha ...
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

  6. #6
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    I don't know, the hunting board got hit pretty hard yesterday. I think a lot of the spam-bots actually search for keywords and put their ads in threads that contain a term related to what they're selling. That's why you see so many really old threads getting bumped by a new spam-post. But all the recent "film" posts are actually porn-spam which is probably being rolled out randomly or even by sweatshop slaves from overseas.

    The only way to slow it down is to put more new member restrictions in place. Make it so that every new account has to be reviewed and approved by a Mod with a 24 or 48 hour waiting period before being able to post. That is an easy way to kill most of the bots. Though, they keep writing programs to overcome such limits, so it still wouldn't get rid of the problem completely.

    The real problem with spam is that it works. People click on the links, which generates hits, which gets the spammer paid. If everyone (and I mean everyone on the net, not just the AOD forum) would stop responding to spam, there wouldn't be any.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Have you tried to add a question on the forum sign up page that requires a human response?

    A question like "What is four plus six?" Only the right answer will get them to the next part of the sign up process.

    Spam bots are programed to auto fill a sign up form and such a question would trip most of them up. We did this on a forum I used to operate and it cut the bots down about 90%. You can find scrips for such a question online for the various forum software.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

  8. #8
    Member danattherock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,608

    Default

    Great idea.


    Sample questions.



    Is buying a beer at a bar more likely to happen in Nome or Kotzebue?


    Can you name the five species of salmon without saying any colors?


    What do you see when you walk in The Great Alaska Bush Company?


    Why are the Alaska Aces called Aces?


    Which of the following is the most dangerous animal in Alaska?

    A. Moose with calf
    B. Brown bear
    C. Tourist in an RV.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default

    Best Spam-oriented thread, ever.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Why not create a fake forum and put it at the very top, perhaps an Alaska Basketweaving sub-forum
    LMFAO!!! great idea buddy
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    But all the recent "film" posts are actually porn-spam which is probably being rolled out randomly or even by sweatshop slaves from overseas.
    Well....Maybe we just want to be selective about what we prevent here guys....let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. eh
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default How to rule out spammers

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Well....Maybe we just want to be selective about what we prevent here guys....let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. eh
    At the risk of agreeing with this, it is important to note that "work from home, online" jobs are often advertised online at like a buck an hour for a human to furnish the answer to CAPTCHA and/or similar anti-spammer measures that some online sites utilize. .... which make a lot of anti-spammer measures ineffective.....

    And I understand the downside of requiring Alaskan-mod-manpower per every new forum application. It isn't like there's a ton of money to toss at the anti-spam movement here.

    That being said, I kinda like Dan's examples of Alaska-specific questions. Seriously, how the heck is a guy working offshore going to know those answers?

  13. #13
    Member moose-head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    @ Seminary, Dubuque Ia
    Posts
    839

    Default

    Why are the Aces called the Aces????
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    Why are the Aces called the Aces????
    'ya...I didn't like that one either. Why pose a question, that has no answer?

    I suggest we stick to the Outdoors Theme...like:
    "Is this pictured Bull/Ram/Bear legal?"
    or
    "Define Subsistence!"

    Gotta be someway to weed the 'spammers' out!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  15. #15

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •