Thread: South Culross shrimp

Default South Culross shrimp

Looking to catch a few shrimp this summer. Are there good places to set pots in the South Culross area?

There are great places all over the Sound. Look for 400-600' deep water with a rocky bottom. That's about all it takes, though trial and error with a variety of different spots can yield great results. You'll find shrimp where you find other buoys, but I guarantee that there are plenty of "undiscovered" shrimp holes out there just waiting to be fished. Don't wait for someone to tell you where to drop them...study your charts and do some experimenting!

-Brian

main bay has a good shrimp population but don't leave your pots out over an opener they are likely to be cut.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Pots over an opener?

Why would they likely be cut??

Charterboat Operator

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by dirtface View Post
    Why would they likely be cut??
    bouy + boat + grinning gillnetter = TARGET!!!

just joking

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
    Looking to catch a few shrimp this summer. Are there good places to set pots in the South Culross area?

There is no shrimp there. Go try some where els
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Can be a good spot if you find the right hole there. Like what Brain said try knew areas. But a word of avdice. When you try a new place don't dump all your pots there. Example last year I tried a place and threw one pot and let it soak about 3 hours. pulled it up and nothing. Tried another spot with one pot same amount of time and got 50. So I went ahead and dumped all the pots there.
    Try new areas don't be affraid of getting skuned.

One thing I learned is when I shrimp below 450 ft. I don't pick up as much to any other stuff in my pots IE otcopus, crabs or fish.

Make sue you pack food in there good. Once the food is gone so will the shrimp.

Me I like to shrimp 600-650.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default yep just pick a spot

I have always wanted to try between applegate and culross. back in there it get to 400+ ft and is protected and I have never seen a bouy in there. All the places i shrimp I have just dropped and see what comes up. You are never gonna hit the same hole twice just because of the tide movements, i think anyways. so i have not marked a single hole. Just drop in the area of your tracks, I seem to do pretty good that way. sometimes i hit some mud or sea lice but oh well, still get shrimp. Hopefully this year I will be able to try some new areas. Only problem is they are kinda out there and not usually where I run. I love exploring though. If staying someplace new I just look for a good spot according to the gps and drop em. Only way you are gonna learn and find the shrimp. But south culross is pretty good, better early spring and then once the pinks start to arrive. good fishing down there too. caught some butt there and a lot of rock fish. near the forest service cabin. well there is some info that should get you started anyway. good luck.