Thread: Main bay red timing

Default Main bay red timing

Planning a few trips to the Sound for this summer. Can anyone tell me if mid july is a good time to find numbers of reds in Main bay?

I think the peak is about the 4th but you can check the run on ADFG website if I remember correctly.

about the last day of june was the peak last year, remeber watch those openers.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    about the last day of june was the peak last year, remeber watch those openers.
    How do you find out when the openers are?

they are tuesdays from 8 am to wedsday 8 am and thursday 8pm to friday 8pm once the red run starts and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't be loud in the middle of the night there are lots of people who live there and also please don't drive inside bouys within 100 fathoms of shore, chances are you will hit a running line and screw some setnetter, it pays to be nice to the setnetters because they are the ONLY reason sockeye are there.

Can't remeber the exact day but It was in july. Did great even with the netters inside main bay. Like I said before it toosome time to get back in the bay with all the nets, but once you see where everything was at it was no problem.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Everyone,
    Please be aware that there will be gillnet openings going on around esther island, over by culross pass & on up to the coghill river from the first week in june and going on right thru the summer. They are usualy open from Monday morning to tuesday morning and from thursday night to friday night but may be extended at any time. PLEASE PLEASE just slow down, especialy when running into the sun, when your running thru those parts of the sound and if possible stay at least 3/4 of a mile off the shore as most of the fishing is going on closer to the shore. When you see a gillnetter just be aware that his net can be anywhere away from or around his boat, we run up & down the nets to see if any fish are in them and to check on things so PLEASE give the BOAT & NET a wide berth. IF you do see a corkline just STOP running and look things over but if its to late and you can't avoid it just cut your power off as fast as possible, engine off and in neutral, and hopefully you will do minimal damage to the net and yes you are responsonsible for the damage you do to the net. If anybody has questions about this please post them here and maybe we can enlighten folks on how not to ruin a lot of folks both recreational and commercial time out on the sound. Its a big place and we can all share it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I did the net crossing in Main bay once, shut em off and had the Yamahas up before they caught the net. The gillnetter was way nice about it, I thought he was going to come uncorked and man did I feel stupid. Glad I dident cost him any downtime.

Default What would the scene be like in August? Silver?

I'll be heading into that area in the first week or so of August. No doubt the reds are done, but I guess I'll be hoping for silvers and pinks. Chums?

I should check the timing information someone quoted But if anyone has comments on fishing Jackpot, Eshamy and Main bays in August, I am all ears. This is good information to have about avoiding disturbing the netters.

Well by august most of us are out of there (for a reason) but the eshamay run peaks about the first week of august. Lots of silvers everywhere in the sound then, I remember my friends going out to wells and culros in their canoe and catching a ton of fish.

Default Potbuilder Right

You get a bunch of boats setting nets and you really have to watch. Not only 3/4 of a mile but way further out. If you see a bouy go over the front they are going to back up ( bow picker) fast.
    Watch for a bouy find the boat it goes to by following the white net floats. But if the nets full some times they sink.

Got caught out front of Main Bay once, in a 100 boat opener, wow I worked way hard to avoid nets. Wasn't worth the good fishing.

Default Sounds great

I should be paddling into the Eshamy bay area near the end of that first week of August. I'm guessing that the reason you guys are out there that time is because silvers are such tasty critters

I'll try to look up those opening dates. That does sound like a hassle, and potentially hazardous in a kayak. I've taken some cold swims before, but never in a net full of pissed-off dying salmon!

actually we always gave kayakers fish when they were checking out our nets, also in august most of the comm guys are out of there, silvers get a very low price for most of the season due to enzymes that cause belly burn, its a pretty huge shame.