Thread: Shrimp pot bait

Default Shrimp pot bait

I am new to shrimping. I did ok this past few shrimping outings but there has to be better bait options. I used the standard shrimp candy but the sea lice tear through it so fast. That stuff is expensive. There has to be a better way than throwing $20 bills in each pot. I need ideas on bait. Cat food?

Maybe smaller holes or slits in your bait container would allow the essence of the bait to escape and attract shrimp but allow entrance to fewer sea lice. On the other hand, I've observed that some pots with lice ridden bait jars seemed to have more shrimp...the lice can't eat every particle and by breaking the bait down they may help disperse the bait/scent stream more effectively. Just a thought.

When my wife & I went shrimping last month in Whittier the boat used a mix of pellets and canned catfood in each pot. This was our first time so I am not sure if that is the norm.

I agree with smaller holes to keep the sand fleas out. Your bait (pellets) should last quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I agree with smaller holes to keep the sand fleas out. Your bait (pellets) should last quite a while.
    http://www.donalsoncompany.net/

They have bait jars with small slits in them. The only place I know in Anchorage. I talked to a guy who used these bait jars and did not have sand fleas. only a few bucks per jar and should be worth the cost. Also, where are you buying your bait? Sportsmans is twice as much as other places. shop around.

I don't ever remember getting the amount of sea lice like this year. I was playing with a couple ideas, some jar with way smaller holes, I did take a plastic jar and only cut it a few times up & down with a razor and still had lice inside. ?
    Toyed with a couple ideas using fine mesh SS screen or ?? Heck maybe they would make a great sea lice gumbo?
    As far as bait, the commercial boys don't buy that high dollar stuff do they, I know one how gathers up fish from the fish cleaning bin, grinds it up and dries it or something have not seen it, only a passing comment once.

I use the bait jars I got from Donalsons that have small holes. I was suprised that a handful of bait would last for several days. The other thing I did was take salmon heads and hang them in the pots from a length of gangion, hanging bait definately seems to improve how well the pots catch shrimp.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    http://www.donalsoncompany.net/

They have bait jars with small slits in them. The only place I know in Anchorage. I talked to a guy who used these bait jars and did not have sand fleas. only a few bucks per jar and should be worth the cost. Also, where are you buying your bait? Sportsmans is twice as much as other places. shop around.
    I've got some of those jugs also, tried them this year and yeah the bait lasts but the pots sure didn't fish as well as those with jugs with bigger holes in them.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I know the most successful of my friends bait with two jars per pot. One with pellets that have small slits to keep out sea lice and the other has ground up baitfish, pollock, salmon carcasses and other non game fish that has bigger holes to allow for faster scent distribution. As stated previously, the more lice working the bait seems to have more shrimp.

The pellet jar is good for more than 24 hours. The jar with access to bait is nothing but bones after a 4 to 6 hour soak.

Smaller holes will keep the sea lice out. It is a compromise between a good scent trail and bait durability.

(quote) "the other has ground up baitfish, pollock, salmon carcasses and other non game fish that has bigger holes to allow for faster scent distribution."

Works for other stuff, too. I found a badly freezer burned bag of hooligan, thawed it and ran it through my blender. Set it outside in a jar to ripen for a couple days. Soaked small squares of cotton t shirt in the slurry and used it for silvers, dollies...BINGO!

I tossed an silver salmon carcass in one of my pots last trip out, came back 5 hours later to find only bones left and no more shrimp that any of the other pots. I have a couple bait jars that are solid with slits in the lids and a few with holes in the bodies and slits in the lids. Seems like I get the most shrimp in the jars with holes but I also get a ton of sea lice in those as well. The sea lice seems to help spread the scent but they eat the bait up fast. Even the jars with slits get sea lice, just not a many.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

3 hour soak and the jars were picked clean and not many shrimp to boot. I moved outta there
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I make my own bait jars, drill holes in whatever plastic container I can find that will fit in my pots. Iíll take a dremal tool and punch like thousands of holes in a jar. Iíve settled on 5/64th as a good hole size. When we were on the shrimp early in the year 12 hour soaks would produce 2 or gallons per pot and the bait lasted for 3 sets.

I buy the 50lb bag of shrimp bait from Donaldsonís, think its $70 and last all season.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I'm finding that larger holes (and yes, more sea lice) is better since it disperses the scent more widely. I'm also a big fan of putting in a carcass or two, particularly if I suspend it away from the pot walls with a cord of some sort so that they can't feed on it from the outside of the pot. Put a whole herring in or a filleted salmon carcass. If I don't have any bait for the jar at all, a carcass fishes just fine - if I do have bait for the jar, even better!

Mariners Feast with some nine lives dry seems to work as good as cat food and actual prawn pellets for me. And way more cost effective.

The best pot I ever had had a bear skull inside, plenty of shrimp and a lice cleaned skull to boot.

I did well with the bait canisters from Donalson's, pellets, and a squirt of herring oil. The pellets would last for 3 sets (5hrs), and a squirt of oil each pull.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public