Thread: Loft insulation help

Default Loft insulation help

I recently purchased a remote, dry cabin near Talkeetna and need some advise. I have two lofts that are insulated but in a lot of places the face paper has either come off, is ripped, or has large holes, and the insulation is sagging and looks pretty crummy. Was thinking of covering the whole area with dark plastic to help improve the looks. Have also considered Tyvec and am trying to find out if anybody sells just rolls of replacement paper. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Don't worry about the paper IF the batts are able to be put back up and they loosly fill the airspace, just use visqueen. Tape all joints and any holes you make with a hammer stapler. If it is on the ceiling, you can put thin strips of board every foot or so to hold it up. If it is the ceiling, I highly suggest getting some OSB, thin plywood or T&G over it ASAP.

IF the batts are torn up badly or they are moldy remove it all and replace with new.

Lots of cabins have visqueen for walls. Some for years. Don't worry about looks, WORRY about function.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Thanks dirtofak!

It is mostly in the ceiling and the batts are all in pretty decent shape as the cabin is only about 3 years old. There's no water issues or mold that I can see. I like the idea of putting plywood up but that may have to wait for awhile. I have to hike in about a mile then canoe across a river to access the cabin so that's a bit of a challenge. Maybe the visqueen and/or thin board strips would work ok for now?

It looks like you need a couple rolls of tape, some thick visqueen, a decent stapler, and a ladder. Good luck in your ventures.

It sounds like you need to prepare to haul freight in in the winter. It is much easier and faster.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Cover with 6mil poly on the warm side. Kraft paper was never a vapor barrier. Tyvek isn't a vapor barrier either so save your money and use poly. Anything less that 6mil will sag and tear. Poly is available in clear and black. The clear stuff will be opaque and looks fine. Black will make the cabin feel small and dark. If you're careful you can get the poly pretty tight and it should hold the insulation up very nicely. Getting it tight will be easier if you have another set of hands to help you. Have fun.

Thanks for all the help guys...it's really appreciated.

Think I'll go with the poly (visqueen) as it seems like the best way to go for now. In the future would I be able to put plywood over the poly if I was to get and ambitious and want a better look? Would that be too much of a barrier and hold moisture?

A poly vapor barrier on the warm side of the insulation is proper construction technique in our climate. Covering it with plywood, drywall, paneling, etc is also a standard practice. Which material you select is not an issue.

If you have a cold roof be sure to leave airspace above the insulation especially near the eaves. They make cardboard spacers to ensure this happens. AKDoug in Talkeetna has them and even sells them individually. Be sure to tape any holes in the visqueen. They will let moisture in and mold up fast. This is especially true if you use propane.
    Bill Hicks

Thanks again...you guys have been a tremendous help!

One more question and I'll stop bugging you...As you can see in the photo the insulation on the front porch overhang is exposed. Is that ok or should it be covered up somehow?

You are going to have lots of questions. We don't mind.

You do need to learn how to post pics. Do a search on here. I believe that BrianM did a thread on how to do it.
    Bill Hicks

Ok, thanks.

I assumed the picture was showing up because I can see it when I view the thread. I'm at work right now but will take another crack at it after I get home.

If the outside, and underside of your place has insulation I don't know why your loft would need it.Protect your space from the elements and there is no reason to guard the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by blackzzz01 View Post
    Thanks again...you guys have been a tremendous help!

One more question and I'll stop bugging you...As you can see in the photo the insulation on the front porch overhang is exposed. Is that ok or should it be covered up somehow?

Insulation needs to stay dry. Aside from that the next thing to worry about is critters. If you have exposed insulation you can expect squirrels and birds to steal it or adopt your eaves as their new home. Cover the insulation. Before you do make sure there's a vapor barrier on the warm side.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Insulation needs to stay dry. Aside from that the next thing to worry about is critters. If you have exposed insulation you can expect squirrels and birds to steal it or adopt your eaves as their new home. Cover the insulation. Before you do make sure there's a vapor barrier on the warm side.
    Makes sense to me...I need to get that covered up.

I'll make another attempt to post a picture...or at least a link to it until I get it figured out.

Nice place!

I just told my wife that we need to find a remote cabin to buy or find some land to build a cabin on. You guys may have just complicated my marriage. LOL

Seriously, nice looking place. One major thing missing in my life is a cabin that I can retreat to for some peace and quiet. I'm jealous. And yes, you need to cover the exposed insulation. I can't see what's above the insulation, but may I assume it's a the second floor in the cabin?

I've seen you around somewhere. I'll say hi next time.

Great choice of beer! One of my favorites.

What is on the burls?

I would make sure the insulation is dry. Put a sheet of Tyvek on it. Sheet it with thin plywood. Put strips on the seams. Then a couple coats of Timberflex.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    I've seen you around somewhere. I'll say hi next time.

Great choice of beer! One of my favorites.

What is on the burls?

I would make sure the insulation is dry. Put a sheet of Tyvek on it. Sheet it with thin plywood. Put strips on the seams. Then a couple coats of Timberflex.
    Absolutely...if we cross paths make sure to say hi!

Not sure what's on the burls but I'm guessing it's some sort of paint. I'm not at all happy with some of the things the previous owner has done but that's a whole other story!

Quote Originally Posted by HuntKodiak View Post
    I just told my wife that we need to find a remote cabin to buy or find some land to build a cabin on. You guys may have just complicated my marriage. LOL

Seriously, nice looking place. One major thing missing in my life is a cabin that I can retreat to for some peace and quiet. I'm jealous. And yes, you need to cover the exposed insulation. I can't see what's above the insulation, but may I assume it's a the second floor in the cabin?
    Having been married and divorced twice I'm not one to complicate someone's marriage! You're on Kodiak? Maybe we can work out an exchange program.

Above the insulation is a loft...there is a loft fore and aft.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Nice place!
    Thanks!....and thanks for your help.