Thread: HID Headlight upgrade

Default HID Headlight upgrade

Anyone installed an HID light kit (headlight upgrade) on a UTV?

Sounds like an easy and cheap upgrade at around $45. End up doubling your lumens with very little power draw.

Coming off the mountain last year after dark was a bit worrisome. Better lighting would have decreased the pucker factor. Hoping this helps.

Received the package (direct from China).

Install took around 20 minutes. (that includes securing the ballasts - I cheated and used gorilla tape)

Amazing the difference. Went with 32w and 5000 on the color scale. Maybe will get to skin a moose in the dark again...IN STYLE!

Cost was $50 ish with shipping.

i ran with the Rigid HID kit, partially for the quality. Love them, but I need light installed higher up. River bed running late at night left me losing the trail. Rigid 10in spot/flood combo on the rack now
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Junk what site did you buy them from?

Thanks, I figured it was from DDM. I just got done placing my order.

Makes a huge difference James. Youll enjoy them. Just the spectrum of light makes the change worth it.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

The spectrum of light once I install the conversion kit and 2 7" hid lights will be truly amazing. I wonder of it will be bright enough?

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    that includes securing the ballasts - I cheated and used gorilla tape
    Those ballasts need to be mounted with free airflow all around. Tape ain't gonna do it. Failure to properly install the ballasts is going to cause a fire! Seen it happen.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I know, I know..Was being cheesy in my setup..I do plan on mounting them in the spare battery box before the season starts. Will be sure to include an air pocket underneath.

No complaints about heat on the site (PRC) I initially read about the mod but better safe than sorry.

BTW WaterG...it took around 2.5 weeks to get those. Came with customs forms and such..

If you're feelin giddy, hit wasilla polaris and check out there rigid hid's they have like 4 sizes. it'll blow you away. I'm mounting a 10" bar overhead. not cheap - but well worth it.

Holy Moly....went for an actual night ride.. At least 60 feet more of direct, visible light. I'm sold.

TWB you have me considering an overhead bar. Might swing by HP Polaris and see what they have. Guess I should look into the dual battery kit as well.

Negative.

With HID lights, you will not need a dual battery. IIRC the 10" bar draws 2.95. That is 1/4 of say, your average Lightforce or KC Daylighter. HID's are very very efficient, hence the ballast.

I may, in time, upgrade to a better battery than factory, ie Odyssey, but thats mostly for recovery due to the winch.

Rigid 10"

USPS delivered mine this morning, that's 9 days from order to delivery. Not bad at all.

Install took 20 minutes half of that I was on PRC reading up on the install. This is a true plug and play kit. Then another 20 to clean up the wiring.

I seriously wished I had installed these sooner.

Did you end up using the tabbed wires?

I ended up going straight from ballast to light. Cut out the pigtails from the rubber grommet and zip tied ballasts and the black box thingies to the frame. Should keep everything dry and cool enough.

Still have the original bulbs with the rig should I ever need them.

I agree with you..should have done this the day I bought the ranger.

My kit may be different than yours. I went with the H13/9008 Hi/Low kit which did not have tabbed wires. One connector on the harness went to one of the stock light wiring connectors, mounted the wiring harness, plug the harness to the ballasts, connect bulbs and mount in light housing. I had very little options when mounting the ballasts, I basically zip tied them to any the available surface. Cleaned up the wiring and the job was done.