Thread: gutting fish on the water

Default gutting fish on the water

Can I gut fish on the boat or do I have to take it back into harbor before gutting them?

Boat is fine. Same for filleting.

You have to be careful with the filleting. When checking, the fish and game will be looking for 4 fillets per halibut, 2 dark sides and 2 white sides. If you cut a large fillet into smaller chunks the number of fillets increase and then they consider it more than 1 fish.

One of our charters last month had the fish fileted and bagged by the time we returned to port.

Concerning halibut processing see page 4, section 18 http://alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/sust...harter/faq.pdf .

Any fish or game I plan to eat I want to get the guts and blood out asap.

Quote Originally Posted by icook4 View Post
    Any fish or game I plan to eat I want to get the guts and blood out asap.
    The areas you fish must be slow..lmao! Kidding of course.

Fish on!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I usually go out for two days and when bottom fishing clean one days catch and then clean the next days catch before pulling out in Seward (do not like the dog and pony show at the cleaning tables). Fish & Game is not out to bust you on a techincality. With four guys and a legal catch of 8 Rockfish X 4, 64 rockish fillets. What I do is clean and skin the rockstars and keep the filet skins in an other 1 gal zip lock bag, that way they can veryfy pelagic vs non-pelagic. The rockfish scales and skin and slime will taint the filets .... but I want F&G to know that I did the right thing, do the same for Halibut & Ling cod. Been checked twice at the docks in the last two years and F&G was fine with my aproach to the situation. They are looking for people that waste and cheat, if you do not bust the limits and can prove it they are cool ..... :~)

I was checked this summer by a trooper in PWS out by Evans Island. We had a big group on the boat (4 adults and 6 kids) and I think had something like 12 halibut on board at the time of the boarding. He asked to see them, and I said that I had been filleting them as I caught them. He asked if they had skin on, and not more than two fillets per side and I said yes. I then showed him the cooler with the fillets, and he looked in one bag to verify what I had told him. I asked if he wanted to count them, and he said 'no thanks' and moved on.

On a side note, there were other boats around us, and I saw him checking one before me. When I was getting checked, I noticed that another boat near by pulled anchor and their gear in and took off. I was surprised that he moved to another boat that was anchored and fishing, and did not go after the boat that quickly departed.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

He asked if they had skin on, and not more than two fillets per side and I said yes.
    Jim,

Just curious, for a larger size halibut, 50 lb+, what type of bag are you puting a whole fillet in?

Doug

I am sure there is a better way, but I just use the white trash sacks and don't fill them so full that they break. I keep a large cooler on the deck and ice them, making sure the water stays outside the bags as the ice melts. For trips where I will have problems with possession limits, I vacuum seal them and put them in the freezer (typically salmon).
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Jim,

Ok. Thanks for the info.

Doug