Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ARGO 6 wheeler

Default ARGO 6 wheeler

Going to take this new to me toy out for Caribou in unit 13. Did a shakedown cruise around at the Bird Creek trail and all seems well. Can anyone tell me any spare parts I should take and what are the most likely things to go wrong with it.
    Thanks.

I haven't gone on any of the trails in unit 13. The problems I've had are more associated with driver error (over zealous in the paths I've taken) than machine malfunction (aka mechanical failure).

At a minimum, I would take a spare drive belt.
    Is yours equipped with a winch? If not...then strongly suggest you get one. The winches with the synthetic lines and the remote control are very nice.

Also consider taking:
    A hatchet; (a chainsaw saves time if you can afford the space)
    Rope (a length of 550 cord doesn't take much space, can be braided for more strength and can be used for many things, but I also take a few hundred feet of 5/8" line)
    Anchor (in case there are no trees or brush to winch from)
    Collapsible shovel
    Tire repair kit
    air pressure gauge
    Air compressor that runs from a cigarette lighter.
    Fuel (I have yet to run the tank dry on a day trip, but carry extra fuel anyways)

Have fun.

Sounds like great advice. She does have a winch so that part is covered. Thanks.

Extra chain and master link for repairs.
    Chain breaker is pretty handy.
    Ratchet strap (help seat the bead if tire comes off) or get some bead lock rims

as a fellow argo owner i would have a pretty good idea of what to bring as far as spare parts. Would need to know model and year of machine though. if it has sheer pins in the axles definatly bring a BUNCH of those. any sort of over torque and they break to keep from breaking other things in the machine. easy to replace and ALOt cheeper than axles and chains.
    He who don't float. Don't follow the ARGO!

Hi Argonut...it is a Vanguard 6 x 6 S

year? look at the axles and see if they use sheer pins. If they do like I said carry extra they like to break (that's their job). as far as spare parts make sure the bearings are solid and greased well bring an extra belt and a small tool kit with the right sockets and wrenches. make sure your idler chains are adjusted snugg and you should be good. greese the chains and maybe bring some chain tensioner blocks incase you eat through one on the trail from chain wind-up. mainly have to worry about that with tracks.

upon the recommendation of a ton of people i traded my 70s era roll pins in the 6x6 argo for grade 5 bolts (grade eight could be too brittle) and nylock nuts.

well be mindful that the reason for sheer pins is to break so other more expensive harder to replace items do not break.

My gawd that thing goes just about anywhere!!! I was very pleased with the performance but you are slower than a 4 wheeler. The LONG rock slope on the way back from Monument had me bracing my knees and leaning back. What a hoot though!

Got our Caribou bull on the opener.

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyfish View Post
    My gawd that thing goes just about anywhere!!! I was very pleased with the performance but you are slower than a 4 wheeler. The LONG rock slope on the way back from Monument had me bracing my knees and leaning back. What a hoot though!

Got our Caribou bull on the opener.
    Congrats! Caribou is tasty.

How tight is the space or Do you tow a trailer?

space was not a problem with all the meat bags fitting in the back of the argo. my duffle with a light camp I put on the seat next to me and strapped it in. I think it might be more of a concern with a moose though, but if we can bone it out, between me and my 4 wheeler friend, we should be ok. I actually do have a meat trailer for it, but being new at all this argo stuff I am real leery about that loooooonnnngggg rock slope coming back out. might just be my imagination and I just need to get it out locally and see what kind of effect it has on the whole shebang. anyone have any comments on meat trailers? how do they affect steering especially on long slopes and thru mud puddles or ponds etc.

PS...OMG that is a tasty bull. Have a crock pot
    stew going at the moment.

there is a spescial tongue design that makes turning very easy and the trailer track right behind the argo because of it's skid steer

Take a look at bcsteve's trailer, do a members search, b, page 8, 07-18-2009.

Bruce.

Where could I see this special tongue design ARGONUT?

I looked at bcsteves design that AB RANGER 007 suggested, but not sure how that would track any straighter then a plain meat trailer setup.

Do a search for Mountain Goat Trailers on the net.

Bruce.

WOW Bruce...those are slick ! Not enough time to get one for this years hunts. Thanks ! John

argo sells them or you could make one like i did the thing tracks awsome. I took a tandam axle meet trailer and added a 25 gal fuel tank and a chuck wagon table for the camp stove. thing pulls like a dream and i don't have to worry about packing gas cans in any more one tank gives me 2 1/2 fill ups keeps me going for ALONG time.

ARGONUT do you have a pic by any chance?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast