Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the Recreational Fishing Industry has no representation.

Default Why the Recreational Fishing Industry has no representation.

This news story explains it all.

Former U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski aide headed to prison

Jill Burke | Aug 02, 2011
    On Monday, the U.S. Attorney’s office in Anchorage charged Arne Fuglvog, fisheries aide to U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski, with a single, misdemeanor violation of the Lacey Act, an act that combats “illegal” trafficking in wildlife, fish, and plants.
    While working as a commercial fisherman in 2005, Fuglvog took 63,000 pounds of sable fish from an area near Yakatat, more than twice what his permits allowed, according to details provided in the plea deal Fuglvog signed, which was also made public on Monday. After overfishing, Fuglvog falsified reports to cover up the take, stating that the fish had instead been harvested from an area known as the “Central Gulf,’ according to prosecutors, adding that he then went on to sell the catch for about $100,000.
    Fuglvog has known about the charges for at least several months. Although the plea deal was made public earlier this week, it’s signed and dated nearly five months ago, in April, and is referred to as a "negotiated resolution."
    If a judge agrees to the terms of the plea deal, Fuglvog will spend 10 months in prison, pay a $50,000 fine and send another $100,000 – approximately the same amount he profited from the illegal fishing – to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation for enhancing fisheries in the coastal areas of the Gulf of Alaska.
    He will also have to admit his wrongdoings in an announcment in the National Fisherman Magazine.
    Fuglvog’s legal woes also brought a swift end to his five-year career with Sen. Murkowski as a fisheries aide. One day before his crime was made public, he left his job.
    "Prior to joining my staff, Arne Fuglvog violated a fishing regulation by misstating the location where he caught sablefish. I accepted his resignation Sunday, and he will plead guilty to this charge as part of a plea agreement,” Murkowski said via e-mail.
    Fuglvog not only served under Murkowski, but spent many years before that in fisheries public service work, she said. He knows the importance and value of our fisheries, and he also knows what all fishermen understand: fishing laws and regulations must be followed,” she said, adding that "Arne has cooperated fully with the authorities, taken responsibility for his actions, and accepted the consequences."
    Fuglvog comes from a longtime fishing family in Petersburg and has spent at least three decades chasing salmon, crab, halibut and other species, according to a 2007 biography. He has years of experience advising and serving on the North Pacific Fisheries Management Council.
    In 2009, he was an apparent finalist for the top spot at the National Marine Fisheries Service, according to theAlaska Journal of Commerce. The United Fisherman of Alaska endorsed Fuglvog for the spot and sent letters on his behalf during the candidate search. Fuglvog didn’t get the job.
    Fuglvog is scheduled to be arraigned on the charge and enter a guilty plea next week.
    Murkowski's office would not comment on how long the Senator had been aware of the investigation into Fuglvog's illegal fishing, and what response, if any, was taken or whether he had been taken off of fish policy issues. At the time his resignation was accepted, Fuglvog was still employed as a legisative assistant - the same generic job title he's held throughout most of his career with the Senator. Fuglvog earned $83,000 in 2009 and $91,000 in 2010 as part of Murkowski's staff, according to salary records.

Here's Arne's Bio......Do you think they'll take back his awards for Highliner of the Year and Fisherman of the Year?

Arne Fuglvog is a fifth-generation Petersburg fisherman who has participated in salmon, crab, halibut and many other fisheries for more than 30 years. He served on the Advisory Panel for the North Pacific Fisheries Management Council for nine years, and on the Council itself from 2003 to 2006. Arne has been awarded the U.S. National Fisherman Highliner of the Year as well as United Fishermen of Alaska's Fisherman of the Year. In September, Arne moved to Washington, D.C., to work as a fisheries aide to Senator Lisa Murkowski, where he continues to work on behalf of Alaska fisheries and resources.

Great job Arne.... What's the chance we can get a sport fisherman on Murkowski's staff?

This is unbelievable. When I hear about this kind of thing it makes you wonder about how much he cheated before being caught??? Maybe we can get some outhouses with his name on them and put them down in the PU fisheries at the Kenai and Kasilof with the money he has to pay us for ripping off our fish! It could say paid for by one high paid idiot who stole fish for a living named....
    Yeah I am with you get a regular sport angler on as an aide who knows how to tie a knot and read a regulation booklet. Thanks for posting this.

I saw this earlier today in the Anchorage daily rag but didn't get a chance to post it.

Not surprising that none of the comm guys or their mouthpieces picked up on it and posted it - it is certainly news worthy!

It certainly makes you wonder how much of this goes on in the industry.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

"He served on the Advisory Panel for the North Pacific Fisheries Management Council for nine years, and on the Council itself from 2003 to 2006. While working as a commercial fisherman in 2005, Fuglvog took 63,000 pounds of sable fish from an area near Yakatat, more than twice what his permits allowed,"

Wow. While serving as a member of the NPFMC he took more than twice his limit then falsified records to hide the fact.

And how bout Ms. Murky's statement? "Prior to joining my staff, Arne Fuglvog violated a fishing regulation by misstating the location where he caught sablefish."

Yah, thats true-but... Misstating where he caught fish didn't land him a $150,000 fine and nearly a year in jail- catching more than 30,000 pounds over his limit did that.
    And what about the neat little fact that after admitting his guilt he continued working another 5 months as her fisheries aide? And she has nothing to say about that?

I really hope you guys aren't surprised about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerline1 View Post
    This is unbelievable. When I hear about this kind of thing it makes you wonder about how much he cheated before being caught???
    I'm sure we don't want to know. You need to grasp the kind of $ there is swimming on the bottom of the ocean, that is just there for the taking. The guy made a cool 100k "extra" in one season. Basically a gold mine down there, with not many people watching...

Powerline1....you wrote/asked..."When I hear about this kind of thing it makes you wonder about how much he cheated before being caught???"

I usually do not answer a question with a question, but/butt..... How many drivers cruise the Seward Hwy, or any highway or interstate freeway, at 75+ MPH before being cited for speeding? ....(many thousands, without many people watching...)

270ti x 2.....2 tru.

But every now and then, it is good to see a bandit cited and somehow convicted.

Lock him up and throw away the key.

Waiting to hear the governor and adf&g commissioner come out with a new task force to catch other crooks running similar rackets.

Taking 15 extra tons of a high dollar fish. Whoops!

Clearly we need to hire more troopers to catch snaggers on willow creek!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    But every now and then, it is good to see a bandit cited and somehow convicted.
    So True...especially if we as a civilized society can no longer rely on an individual's integrity and personal values to guide them. Peer review and severe consequences are the last remaining tools we have to work with. So many today have lost Self Control and need to be reigned in.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    Waiting to hear the governor and adf&g commissioner come out with a new task force to catch other crooks running similar rackets.
    Wouldn't that be something. I have a feeling you'd be seeing a lot of people fleeing the country if that was announced. I for one would like to see a complete review and audit from an independent source of everything to do with Alaska Fisheries.

There seems to be consensus here. So, on a little different scale, how would you feel if an ADFG Advisory Committee member had someone tell him they engaged in illegal barting of subsistence caught halibut, and he (the ADFG AC member) refused to report it?

I am especially interesed in Halibutgrove's take....

Quote Originally Posted by Grampyfishes View Post
    There seems to be consensus here. So, on a little different scale, how would you feel if an ADFG Advisory Committee member had someone tell him they engaged in illegal barting of subsistence caught halibut, and he (the ADFG AC member) refused to report it?

As for myself, I think there should be a Sticky Thread on the forum...One where members can post up their sins and transgressions committed on individuals and society at large and come clean with their concience...A Confessional perse' ...there would be a lot of raised eyebrows I'm certain!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Unhappy Good luck . .

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    So True...especially if we as a civilized society can no longer rely on an individual's integrity and personal values to guide them. Peer review and severe consequences are the last remaining tools we have to work with. So many today have lost Self Control and need to be reigned in.
    Too true, Akres. I once heard an historian note that the average age of a criminal in colonial America was about 45 years. It took the average criminal that long in life to shake off the social and religious constraints that heretofore had retarded his descent into lawlessness.

Today the average criminal's age is something like 18. Edward R. Murrow once said:

"Cassius was right, the fault dear Brutus is not in our stars, but in ourselves. Good night, and good luck."

One is tempted to add, "Good luck, America."

Quote Originally Posted by Grampyfishes View Post

Let me get that straight.. You are trying to find fault with Halibut Grove for not reporting something someone told him? Wow, you are really digging deep. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Let me get that straight.. You are trying to find fault with Halibut Grove for not reporting something someone told him? Wow, you are really digging deep. Sad.
    Totally Sad, Grampy is really trying to dig deep. If Arne was on my boat and told me he was catching 30,000lbs over his allowed limit I'd report it and maybe the feds would think something of it. If they were concerned about the subsistence bartering of fish for cash they would do something about it. It's really no more of their concern then the many "non-charter" recreational fisherman like Grampy taking their friends fishing for gas money. Those that get their expenses paid while they enjoy a free day of all expenses paid day of fishing.

Imagine if the guy had been a sport fisherman and it came out that "this one time, at fish camp..." he once took his limit of 3 fish in the morning and then later that evening he went back and took a second limit! Oh the outcry by a different group would be deafening!

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thewolfwatching

Agreed.. but.. that could create a firestorm…
    It’s part of the very soul of our nation that everyone is entitled to a defense despite all accusation and mass-media; despite political motivation or consequence.. Does anyone have the whole story or are they just throwing stones at glass houses??

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    As for myself, I think there should be a Sticky Thread on the forum...One where members can post up their sins and transgressions committed on individuals and society at large and come clean with their concience...A Confessional perse' ...there would be a lot of raised eyebrows I'm certain!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thewolfwatching View Post
    Agreed.. but.. that could create a firestorm…
    It’s part of the very soul of our nation that everyone is entitled to a defense despite all accusation and mass-media; despite political motivation or consequence.. Does anyone have the whole story or are they just throwing stones at glass houses??
    Arne's already admitted guilt and taken a plea.

Thewolfwatching

Sure beats a trial when you’re a political figure… Doncha think?? ouch.. could you imagine what pot that could stir? hmmm... Wonder who's paying for the defense..

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    Arne's already admitted guilt and taken a plea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast