Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Guides request EO

  1. #1

    Default Guides request EO

    Here is a copy of the email the majority of the guides sent to Sam Ivey at Palmer AF&G

    Please, Please close the Little Su to bait, catch and release, and proxy fishing Friday at midnight. The number of silvers up river is very low and catch rates down river are not what they should be. You can always reopen to bait if the silvers are simply late. If it stays spinners only.... at least we can keep fishing.

    Bill Booth...owner Trophy catch Charters

  2. #2
    Member ysr_racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Happily in So Cal.
    Posts
    583

    Default

    I wish they would have closed it a week ago, It would have saved me $$$$
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

  3. #3
    Member fishNphysician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen WA
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Coho in transition (before they set their scales and slime up) are a HORRIBLE catch-n-release species. The landmark study on coho C&R mortality was conducted on the L'il Su.... 7 out of 10 fish were dead.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Why dont you send the request about the deshka also?? Why just the little su?

  5. #5
    Member akgiauque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    107

    Default

    I think what Bill meant was that just the Little Su guides are requesting this action. Most of us do not fish the Deshka for silvers and do not want to unduly influence another fishery.

    Greg Giauque
    Alaska Susitna Charters

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Coho in transition (before they set their scales and slime up) are a HORRIBLE catch-n-release species. The landmark study on coho C&R mortality was conducted on the L'il Su.... 7 out of 10 fish were dead.
    Yup. It should be closed entirely and C&R on Silvers should never be a consideration. The entire UCI should be closed until there is ample evidence of a meaningful escapement. Right now it just ain't happening.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akgiauque View Post
    I think what Bill meant was that just the Little Su guides are requesting this action. Most of us do not fish the Deshka for silvers and do not want to unduly influence another fishery.

    Greg Giauque
    Alaska Susitna Charters
    Well...with 681 Silvers through the counter, as of today....I have a real hard time thinking a closure would "unduly influence" anything at all.
    It is Pitiful...If the run is late, it can be reopened...If nothing is done and this is it...for all of UCI...there will be a lot of regret.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Member salmon_bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Well...with 681 Silvers through the counter, as of today....I have a real hard time thinking a closure would "unduly influence" anything at all.
    It is Pitiful...If the run is late, it can be reopened...If nothing is done and this is it...for all of UCI...there will be a lot of regret.
    Something has to be stopping the fish from making their way up the valley rivers....
    Hopefully the run is just late and the BOF knows what they are doing.
    We would all hate to see that a decision that they have made is jeopardizing the local rivers and streams.

  9. #9
    Member salmon_bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wbooth View Post
    Here is a copy of the email the majority of the guides sent to Sam Ivey at Palmer AF&G

    Please, Please close the Little Su to bait, catch and release, and proxy fishing Friday at midnight. The number of silvers up river is very low and catch rates down river are not what they should be. You can always reopen to bait if the silvers are simply late. If it stays spinners only.... at least we can keep fishing.

    Bill Booth...owner Trophy catch Charters
    The Little Susitna needs to be shut down and not just to bait fishing. It should be closed to fishing until escapement is met. Oh wait, how would we know if escapement is met...

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salmon_bone View Post
    The Little Susitna needs to be shut down and not just to bait fishing. It should be closed to fishing until escapement is met. Oh wait, how would we know if escapement is met...
    Indices'...and SWAG's!!! Don't you read the fishing forecasts or watch channel 2?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  11. #11
    Member ysr_racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Happily in So Cal.
    Posts
    583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akgiauque View Post
    I think what Bill meant was that just the Little Su guides are requesting this action. Most of us do not fish the Deshka for silvers and do not want to unduly influence another fishery.

    Greg Giauque
    Alaska Susitna Charters
    Greg, any idea on what the board numbers are these days?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    215

    Default

    I havenít fished the Big Sue tribs yet but all the Knik arm coho are way down in numbers in all the streams and I think they should close them all. I think that I have taken my last trip for the year to any of the creeks around the arm. My question is since all the guides are asking for them to close the river are they not guiding any more to protect the resource or are they waiting for ADF&G to make a law before they choose to do what that know is the correct thing to do.

  13. #13
    Member akgiauque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Brad,
    I have not fished for two days so I do not know the numbers last I heard was between 45-80 fish depending on the day. Lots of very fresh chums and a few of those may be counted as silvers by unknowing anglers.

    Our concern is that if they open it to bait and the catch is 800+ fish that may be the majority of silvers in the river.

    Some guys say the run is fine they are catching fish, then I say let them close it to bait and C&R and fish hardware.

    Most guides are still fishing, right or wrong it is what it is. There are 8 or 9 active guides on the Little Su 4-5 fishing are fishing am with 2 or 3 having pm trips. Some days only one or two on the river, lots of our clients are Alaskans reading fishing blogs and posts to see what the fishing is like before they go.

  14. #14

    Default

    I (we)feel there are enough silvers to keep fishing. The little su will open to bait the 6th if an EO is not put out.. Pressure will go through the roof. The bait opener is crazy down there. Some people catch and relese as many as they can those first two days. Hundreds go home in coolers each day and some can not handle being let go (some say 7 in 10) and die then sink. I (we) think bait is a bad idea. If they are late open it to bait, if the run does not pick up close it. I say baby steps. Unlike the king numbers no one saw this coming, they might just be late.

    Bill

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •