Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Electric Bear Fences really work?

Default Do Electric Bear Fences really work?

does anyone have any experience with bear fences and do they work?

.yes they work
    you will sleep better
    mine weighs about 2.5 pounds, price is from $395 to $200 depending on the energizer you go with and /or piece it together on your own.

heres mine

this set up is around 300 its very light

I live remote and a neighbor has one around his house. Every so often you can see the bear tracks walking up to the fence and then the claw marks as it's hauling butt the other way. He's never had a problem.

I've allways wondered what touched the fence first. I'm guessing their nose.

yeh the survey ribbon is not only for the humans to see but also for the bears to see and then they lead with their (moist) nose to investigate (they sniff everything first) and get 6000 volts of "GOOD MORNIN"

We use the 4 lb UDAP fence on remote float trips. Nice set up and packs to about the size of a 2L soda bottle. Runs on a couple D batteries.

http://www.udap.com/bearshock.htm

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Got the same enigerzer,1/4 mile of 17 gauge wire , 25 plastic fence clips,2 gate handles and 2 D cell battries.O, and on 3 foot long ground pole. Bought all this in Kansas for $110.

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    I'm guessing their nose.
    Ask my dogs this is what they touch first talk about rocking your brain!
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by EMoss#83 View Post
    this set up is around 300 its very light
    I don't get you haveing the tops of your posts tied out don't you think they might pull your entire fence out into the woods. I set mine up where there is nothing outside the perimeter.
    My posts are pvc sleeves slid over a 3/8's rod pounded into the ground that can also double as an extra ground if more wak is needed
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I too believe that they work. We had some bear problems on Kodiak a few year ago while deer hunting and I think that the fence was the only thing that kept them from coming into the tent.

good point IRONARTIST! i usually have the energizer on the inside, but with the type of insulators i have it requires to have some outside tension sometimes to make the polywire taught, maybe i should get different insulators, so how do you avoid the guy wires? I need to stay under 3 pounds.

new collapsible poles from home depot,different insulators,no guywires,everything inside the fence,right around two pounds.

What about gravel bars?
    I talked with someone at UDAP. He said that it was very likely that the fence will not work on gravel bars or sand. He suggested their mesh "food fence" setup. But that setup is very expensive...

The folks at Eagle Enterprises in Anchorage say the same thing...
    http://www.electrobearguard.com/Product.html

Default A thought on DIY kits

When it comes to putting together your own fence, I'm guessing some of you do this anyway. My poles are spare fiberglass tent poles. I picked up something like 17 or 18 sections on eBay for under $10. I attach cable zip ties to the poles and hold them in place with a wrap of electrical tape. All told, I have maybe something like 100 bucks in my fence.

I too sleep better with the extra layer of protection.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Off topic a bit, I know, but wouldn't it be cool to have an Electric Bear with you, if such technology existed. You could take it with you on hunts, and it would be programmed to fight off the real bear if one tried to attack you in the middle of the night. Kind of like Mechagodzilla versus Godzilla.

a fun thing to do,is tell your partner that if you pee on the wire while it is charged it'll put off a smoke blue flame,

....of course that what happens. what happens is a low volt dingle-shock.

seriously --do not try this at home. do it when your out camping.
    edit signature here

I've spent some time in western Alaska bear country inside a bear fence. The camp included a barbeque that was used regularly to grill steaks. A couple of days after spending a night in that camp I was fishing nearby and watched a big bear wander up to the camp and detour politely around the fence perimeter. I was convinced enough to buy an ultralight kit from Surveyor's Exchange when I got home.

I too have read that the fence won't operate correctly on sand and gravel bars. Something about the grounding capability. I'd appreciate some field reports from guys with gravel bar experience.

Had a black bear in camp two years ago. He hit the fence I assumed with his nose and he ran off! I shot him the next day. I think they work.

I think the word your looking for is conductivity. “a measure of a material's ability to conduct an electric current”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast