Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what is the biggest moose youve ever shot, horns and live weight? any pics??

Default what is the biggest moose youve ever shot, horns and live weight? any pics??

what the biggest moose youve ever killed?

58". I was 7yrs old & one shot from a 35 remington (thats me with the hat on) as for weight I have no idea it was a long time ago

big moose.jpg

70" and no pictures of it. It is shoulder mounted at a friends house right now. Many 60"s and many 50"s.

P1000078.jpg 67 inches, Weight ??

Hunterdave, didn't know how fortunate I was on my second moose hunt to Alaska, but I shot a nice moose on opening day in 2003. Me and a buddy were on a self guided hunt and had hired a bush pilot to drop us off. He is 65" wide and don't know the weight but he got heavier with every trip back to camp. One mile seems like alot more in the bush.

Are you going moose hunting?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just wondering if there is any kind of formula for estimating the live weight? I'm sure not many carry scales to the field.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

61" taken with a bow, he's not really huge but he's nice....not sure on weight, I would say around 1500 lbs......his neck was just over 40" which was required for the type of mount I wanted.

Attachment 51332

28,644 TONS, (Boned Out) shot 7.6 miles up Peters Creek, past the base of Bellicose Mountain. And packed out by two very stupid young mules. Three trips each, six total.

bigest body moose was the one in the avatar, he was 64" wide and 48" tall and weigh'ed aprox. 2500lb. I've shot 4 others that were over 60" but never came close to that one.

Moose 02.jpgMoose rack.jpg
    Just a hair under 59" for me. I just couldn't stretch the extra inch to make the 60" club. Im not sure about the weight, but it took three of us three days to pack it to the ATVs.

I might have to raise the flag on 2500 lbs.. I've heard of 1500 lbs but at 2500 your talking 3 horses
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I might have to raise the flag on 2500 lbs.. I've heard of 1500 lbs but at 2500 your talking 3 horses
    It was the 48 inches tall that gave me a chuckle - that is one short moose!

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I've always thought a really good size moose looked like a Clydesdale horse...a larger variety Clydesdale will top 2000-2200 lbs and those are accurate and recorded scale weights without a 100lb rack.

Its all pretty subjective really since no one is weighing bull moose in the field but an outstanding 2000+ bull is not terribly unreasonable, certainly the average specimen won't go that much. I ran into one within Denali Park at least 30% bigger than any other I've ever seen- I'd have no trouble putting 2200-2500 lbs on that guy.

Many years ago a friend and I shot a pair of bulls that were fighting. His had broken one antler off at the base. The remaining side measured 34", which would have made him (if symmetrical) 68". The estimated weight was about a million pounds (they were dropped two miles from the boat)

My younger Brother was hunting about 20 years ago with a friend out of Kotz and they killed a 76" Booner

The area we've hunted since late 70's is not known for super big bulls ~ trade off is we have mid 50's bulls thick as weeds. That's a trade I'll take any day of the week.

This one really stands out in my mind though. My brother shot it 10 years ago. Just a hair under 60. Biggest bodied moose I've ever seen. Other cool part was he shot it with the same 30-40 Krag that my grandfather used to shoot moose with back in the 50's. Open sights, shot mafia style ~ one behind the ear ~ at about 50 yards.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

71,67,67,67, 1/2 dozen 60-64, numerous 55-59. I grew up on a ranch with horses and cattle. I don't believe that a 2000 lb moose exits.

On average, an adult moose stands 1.82.1 m (67 ft) high at the shoulder.[38] Males weigh 380720 kg (8501580 pounds) and females weigh 270360 kg (600800 pounds).[39] The largest of all is the Alaskan subspecies (A. a. gigas), which can stand over 2.1 m (7 ft) at the shoulder, has a span across the antlers of 1.8 m (6 ft) and averages 634.5 kg (1,396 lbs) in males and 478 kg (1,052 lbs) in females.[40] Typically, however, the antlers of a mature specimen are between 1.2 m (3.9 ft) and 1.5 m (4.9 ft). The largest confirmed size for this species was a bull shot at the Yukon River in September 1897 weighing 820 kg (1,800 lb) and was 233 cm (92 in) tall at the shoulder.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I have to emphatically agree with aknome, the existence of a 2000+ lb. moose is really hard to believe. I know many here have vastly more experience than I, but I've seen quite a few moose 60"+ hit the ground. Personally, the largest bodied moose I've shot wasn't the largest antlered moose. Largest antlers= 67", largest bodied antlers= 63". First pic is of the 63", then the 67". My dad (who has shot a handful 70"+) claimed the second to be the largest bodied moose he'd ever seen, being raised here since the early 50's. We guessed the 'on-the-hoof' weight to be around 1500-1600lbs...and to throw a wrench in the 'spikes are the best eating' argument he was the best moose I've ever eaten, and that's been quite a few.

Guys weather you want to believe it or not, I ***** you not,. I shot 6 over 60" and this guy was a monster. Took five guys to carry a quarter a hundred feet to the boat.

There is a guy here that has a 8 m. film of it, but even tho I have asked many times if he would put it on a disk for me I still hav'nt got it.

The 48" tall was the rack.

There are bigger moose than you think out there.

I've shot some big arse moose and none I would have said went over 2,000. The biggest body was a bull from a 53" bull. It was a beast of a moose. I will have to see if I can find some of the pictures of it as it took my brother and I to move the hind quarters. I have never not been able to handle a hind quarter from any sized moose yet this one was a monster. We had two guys with us that have shot more moose than they can count and they never seen one that size either. My guess it was around the 1500# range. I have to believe that there is no moose that goes over 2,000#'s. I know of a lot of people that have trapped or shot 200# wolves and I call BS on that. I have handled well over a 100# wolves and the largest weighed was 128, but had one that I figured went 140#, but didn't have the scale at the time of skinning.

Rock_skipper shakes his head and walks away, lol

And nobody thought they would see a 9-10 foot black bear til a couple of years ago.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast