Thread: Fireforming

Default Fireforming

I am new to reloading, and was wondering what the best and safest process for fireforming brass is? Any help would be appreciated.

Depends somewhat on the parent case.
    Belted magnums are easy. I've found that a small charge of bullseye or winchester 231 (10-17 grains) fill the remainder of the case to the shoulder with cream of wheat, pack the neck with Kleenex or tissue point downrange and fire.
    With non belted cases if necking down neck down just enough to create a shoulder for the round to headspace on. This will create a shoulder on the case. Don't neck down any more than is necessary to allow the round to chamber thereby creating proper headspace then fireform as above.
    If your necking up you may have to neck the case to a larger diameter then back down to the caliber you want so you can create a shoulder for headspace.

Here is a method I have used about a thousand times and it works very well.

You'll need some corn meal, cream-o-wheat, purina, malt-o-meal or something of the sort. I have also used dry corn cob brass polishing media (without any additive)

You'll also need some toilet paper, plain white unscented.

You will need some fast burning pistol powder; Bullseye, WW-231, or something of similar burning rate, I prefer the flake type of powder.

You'll need some soft warm parafin wax.

You'll also need one closable card board box approximately 24" square.

Mix all ingredients in the box and stir continuously for 10 minutes.....JUST KIDDING!

The cases you want to fireform must be primed (any primer of the correct size will do). And these cases must be able to fit in the chamber of the gun and fire. In other words they can't be too long or too fat to fit the chamber. This technique is usually used to reform the shoulder, such as move it forward, and to expand the body for improved cases. If the rifle has a Mauser type extractor it will usually fire without any problem even though the case shoulder is too short to fit the chamber.

Pour one case FULL of the selected powder (Do not shoot) then pour it out into the scale pan and weigh it. Determine 10% of this quantity. (Divide by 10) then charge all cases with the 10% amount of Bullseye (or equivalent).
    Place a quarter (1/4) sheet of TP over the powder, with a pencil or similar instrument. Then fill the case up to the base of the neck with your favorite hot breakfast cereal and place a plug of warm wax over the top to seal it.

Warn all inhabitants of the impending noise and wear hearing protection.

Make a hole in the side of the box for the muzzle of the rifle, place the muzzle in the hole, load and fire your rifle with the rounds you've just created.

I have tried this in my garage with my neighbors cat in the box. The cat quickly, very quickly, escaped the box and did not ever come back and crap in my garage!

You will need to stop and clean the bore with a brush after a number of rounds.

Now I'll catch hell because I didn't include someone's favorite cereal or didn't use the correct primer or something.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    You'll also need some toilet paper, plain white unscented.

Now I'll catch hell because I didn't include someone's favorite cereal or didn't use the correct primer or something.
    come on! everyone uses scented paper, it gives the barrel that nice fresh smell.

Default No comment on scented/unscented, BUT...

The first time I used this technique to fireform .35 Whelen brass from .30-06, I merely put the muzzle into a pillow on the floor, and was immediately rewarded with a window rattling concussion, and a dandy hole through the pillow, the linoleum, the underlayment, and cracked the boards underneath.
    At close range the load CAN BE LETHAL!!!!!

Wink

Yes I"ve used the same method myself! Besides Bullseye gives the cream of wheat that great toasted flavor!
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default Cat? What Cat? Didn't see nuthin'...

I have tried this in my garage with my neighbors cat in the box. The cat quickly, very quickly, escaped the box and did not ever come back and crap in my garage!

Now I'll catch hell because I didn't include someone's favorite cereal or didn't use the correct primer or something.[/QUOTE]

Murph, I'm surprised someone hasn't raised hell about the cat!

"Hey, I found yer cat this mornin'.....under the tire of my Truck!"

Not a cat lover eh? HA!

I have fireformed for 8x60S from .30'06. Trimmed to length, sized, loaded up my cartridges with a slow powder, used 220 grain bullets long. When chambering them, I feel them jam into the rifling, then fire. Velocity is about 2600fps, and the shells come out looking perfect.

That cereal and soap/wax routine is too slow for me.

For .375 H&H to .375 Weatherby, 270 grain cheapo bullets with a beginning load for a 300 grainer, lightly lubricated cases, BLAMMO! .375 Weatherby.
    Don't lube the necks.