Thread: Are Crimson Talons Legal??

Default Are Crimson Talons Legal??

Anyone know if Crimson Talons are legal here in Alaska. I have heard they are not legal because they are considered barbed. I do not believe that they are barbed the way the reg reads. To me a fishing head that is meant to hold onto the animal in which it is shot is what the reg is refering to. I have harvested numerous whitetails with these and they shoot like my field point. I really like them, just want to make sure I'm legal. It looks like they have a new head that may not be considered to be barbed. These blades cause massive bleeding, leading to quick death and easy to follow blood trails. Something about the blades not being a perfect 90 degrees.
    Thanks Steve
    http://www.spintite.com/crimsontalon.html

i think they are leagal,i dont see why they wouldent be

Default NO

No they are not legal. This questions was asked about two years ago. Someone actually took one to the office at Raspberry Road or sent one tor them, to examine. It was determined that they are a "barbed" broadhead because of the little notch at the rear near the shaft. It was mentioned in the post that if the diameter of the arrow shaft was large enough to close up the gap, then they might be considered legal.

If you look at the tow images I attached, a CT and the commonly used reference chart by F&G in many states as well as IBEP, you can see the concern. The little notch may hang up on the hide of the animal if the animal tried to remove the arrow, henceforth, the illegality of barbed broadheads.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Thanks Dave

Might try the new one they look differant. Thanks
    Steve

Question I'd be....

interested to see how ya'll do with them. IMHO, they look they are all about the marketing of them, just the way the packaging looks and all. If you are successful maybe post a picture of the entry, exit holes and stuff?

Anway...good luck!

Steve
    I think most of them are legal, but I do not know if the Viper or the raptor are legal.

Default Illegal

Sorry but this is a barbed broadhead and illegal in Alaska and many other states. The animal has to be able to pull the arrow out or have it fall out. A broadhead like this is not going to do that.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 03-26-2007 at 11:40. Reason: image

Default Also Illegal - Raptor

Raptors are also illegal. We went around with this last year with the F&G office in Anchorage and they said that because of the notch on the back side of the blade that they were illegal.

boy I'd think I'd be concerned about penetration with a head that's trying to spin while cutting. Not to mention that tail edge being hooked out is really going to slow things down I would imagine. Just a guess though.

This isnt new techonolgy either. I have a spiral bh from the 50's or so, might be older then that, I dont remember. Buddy of mine is big into collecting them, he passed a bunch of older heads off to me this was one of them.

Other concern I'd have is them trying to turn path wise. Say a blade hits a bone which is a common occurance. How is that going to affect your wound channel? I dont know, just some things that came to mind while looking at their web page.

Thumbs down Yup...

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    boy I'd think I'd be concerned about penetration with a head that's trying to spin while cutting. Not to mention that tail edge being hooked out is really going to slow things down I would imagine. Just a guess though.

This isnt new techonolgy either. I have a spiral bh from the 50's or so, might be older then that, I dont remember. Buddy of mine is big into collecting them, he passed a bunch of older heads off to me this was one of them.

Other concern I'd have is them trying to turn path wise. Say a blade hits a bone which is a common occurance. How is that going to affect your wound channel? I dont know, just some things that came to mind while looking at their web page.
    I agree.....like I said, I would be interested in seeing some damage they have done.

One problem with the talons was with the twist of the blade. When shot the curve of the blade would cause the BH to loosen up. They might of fixed this problem. My friends and I have tried this out and found this to be a problem.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Cool Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    One problem with the talons was with the twist of the blade. When shot the curve of the blade would cause the BH to loosen up. They might of fixed this problem. My friends and I have tried this out and found this to be a problem.
    I saw some at SP Wharehouse last night that were still curved....interesting.