Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dall Sheep gear list/advice

Default Dall Sheep gear list/advice

My buddy and I are headin out on our first dall sheep hunt in three weeks. Below is a list of items I'm planning on bringing. We are going guided, however the guide is pretty old school on gear so I want to make sure I've got what i need and nothing more.My outfitters gear list seems sufficent but I'd like other opinions. One question I have is do I need to bring an extra pair of pants? This will be a 14 day combo hunt but sheep is our main focus, than moose and grizz if their is time and anything left in the tank. The guide will supply MH meals, cook stove, water purification. My partner and I will share the weight of some items like the spotting scope and tripod. Based on my list below what else do I need and what would you cross off. This guide has been in this area for 30 years, so am I wasting my time bringing things like a GPS compass, spot connect (would only need it as a back up plan if something happened to the guide.)Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I really enjoy this site and hope to be able share our success.

Lowa hunter extreme boots
    Mystery Ranch 6500 pack
    Sitka mountain pants
    sitka 90% jacket
    sitka rain pants and jacket
    mountain hardwear fleece jacket (for layering)
    sitka vest (for layering)
    MH beanie
    caplene tops and bottoms (layering)
    smart wool medium hunter socks (5 pair)
    sitka long shirt
    ice breaker short sleeve shirt
    3 changes of underwear (grizz encounters)
    BD trekking poles
    0 degree MH down sleeping bag
    BA SL1 one man tent
    thermarest pad
    bd headlamp plus extra batteries
    havalon knife and extra blades, small buck knife, small sharpener
    spork and cup
    small digital camera, 3 xtra batteries
    sitka gloves
    H20 blatter
    2 nalgene bottles
    outdoorsman tripod and head
    swaro 65mm spotting scope
    leica geovid 10x42 binos and badlands bino vault
    trash bags, zip lock bags
    50 ft nylon rope
    sun glasses
    tylenol pm
    spf lip balm
    tums
    bug dope
    lighter, matches
    dental floss, sewing needle
    compass
    rifle, 50 cartridges
    duct tape wraped around water bottle
    wet wipes
    OR gators

whats the weight of this outfit??
    & why 50 rounds?? 10 rounds should be more than enough

I would haul in a dry bag to leave a bunch of that stuff behind at a base camp. I would take a spare set of pants as I have had poor luck with the Sitka gear surviving in the field.

I would change from trash bags to two compactor bags. Just don't go trying out any merino wool baselayers before you head out! That is a lot of capiline you would be tempted to replace!

Jokes aside lots of sheep have been tipped over with inferior gear to what you have listed here!

Small first aid kit with moleskin or other items to treat blisters.
    Camera
    rangefinder
    Headnet
    Thermarest repair kit
    Latex skinning gloves
    Powdered Gatoraid
    Sun screen (Not needed most years but nice weather does happen)
    Game bags
    Amodium AD
    Personal medications
    Wiggies Waders (Pull over your boots for stream crossings and remove immediately) They weigh 1 lb
    Use your GPS to mark your dropoff/pickup point so you can return if something happens to the guide (unlikely). Rent a satellite phone if the guide doesn't have one.
    A good book for those days stuck in the tent or waiting to be picked up.
    Salt for cape (3 lbs)
    Small meat saw for removing the horns
    Energy bars or snacks that you like.
    50 rounds of ammo? How many animals are you planning to shoot?
    Electrical tape for covering the end of your barrel. Doesn't leave a sticky residue like duct tape.

*Too many bottles. Bring bladder and one 20-oz soda bottle (lightweight)

*3 pr. socks, at most. Better to have two pr. liners and two pr. socks.

*Lose the 90% jacket and the sitka shirt. Upper body layers should consist of skin layer, heavy thermal like exped weight capilene or 100 fleece, puffy synthetic insulating layer, and rain shell.

*Take a ridgerest instead of an inflatable pad

*Replace buck knife with victorinox paring knife

*Ammo: 10 rounds plus whatever fits in magazine

*Wrap some elec tape around barrel near stock, and use this to replace elec tape over muzzle after firing

*TTC for cape, about half a quart double-bagged in a sandwich ziploc inside a quart freezer ziploc

1. Defently mole skin
    2. I bought a pair of Croc's for crossing streams and to wear letting my feet dry out around camp. And they weight next to nothing.
    3. No need for the Tylenol pms
    Leave the ammo at base other then a stock band full.

no real offense but I laugh everytime I see someones gear list and they list all the name brand gear vs just item you need.

IE Mystery Ranch 6500 pack Translated to my list - PACK
    Lowa Hunter Extreme Boots - BOOTS
    Leica Geovid 10x42 Binos' - BINOS

Good luck on your hunt - dont worry about the weight up - worry about the weight down - if your in pain that will be a good sign all that name brand gear paid off

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    no real offense but I laugh everytime I see someones gear list and they list all the name brand gear vs just item you need.

IE Mystery Ranch 6500 pack Translated to my list - PACK
    Lowa Hunter Extreme Boots - BOOTS
    Leica Geovid 10x42 Binos' - BINOS

Good luck on your hunt - dont worry about the weight up - worry about the weight down - if your in pain that will be a good sign all that name brand gear paid off
    Some people might have more than one pack, one pair of boots and one set of binos, so if they are making a list for themselves it would make sense to detail the ones that they wish to bring.

I'd consider leaving the spotting scope/tripod at home. One less thing for the TSA/airline to lose or break. Your guide will have one that you will be able to look through. You've got the binos so you are covered. I see you have a down bag. That is fine. Just make darn sure you keep it in a wet proof bag when its not in use. I always take my Geos with me ON the plane. Replacement is double that of my Kimber.

Have a great trip. You will never ever forget it. Look forward to your photos and story.

Pretty much sums up my gear setup. I have solo tents, ultralight tents, a bomber mountaineering tent, and a big family tent. I also have hip boots, water boots, mountaineering boots, and hiking boots.... Moose rifles, sheep rifles, bird guns, and predator guns. The list is long and it isn't all going on every trip!

There are several items on your list you don't need just because it's a guided hunt:
    BA SL1 one man tent
    havalon knife and extra blades
    outdoorsman tripod and head
    swaro 65mm spotting scope
    trash bags
    50 ft nylon rope
    GPS compass, spot connect

Have you weighed all this stuff?
    Are you restricted to a maximum weight?
    Has your guide given you a gear list?
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Your guide is gonna HATE your down bag. FYI.

Just don't ask to use his when you guys spend the night in the rain on the mountain with no shelter. It happens.

Taylor

Default List

For a guided hunt you won't need a lot of that stuff - For the price you pay, don't be afraid to use his gear. If you are unclear about anything, ask as many "dumb questions" as you need to. Its your hunt so make sure there are no misunderstandings.

Here is what I would expect for your list on a guided hunt:

Remaining from your list
    Mystery Ranch 6500 pack
    Lowa hunter extreme boots
    Sitka mountain pants
    sitka 90% jacket
    sitka rain pants and jacket
    mountain hardwear fleece jacket (for layering)
    caplene tops and bottoms (layering)
    sitka long shirt
    sitka gloves
    MH beanie
    BD trekking poles
    thermarest pad
    bd headlamp plus extra batteries
    small buck knife
    spork and cup
    small digital camera, 3 xtra batteries
    leica geovid 10x42 binos
    H20 bladder
    sun glasses
    spf lip balm
    lighter, matches
    compass
    wet wipes

Changes
    smart wool medium hunter socks (2 pair)
    2 changes of underwear
    rifle, 20 cartridges
    20 degree synthetic sleeping bag
    trash bag

Additions
    liner socks - 2
    electrical tape
    paper towel
    crocs
    ibuprofen
    vicoden
    moleskin
    Tincture Of Benzoin
    neoprene knee brace(s) - depending on condition
    personal medication
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

what is your guide supplying?

Thanks for all the reply's and advice. I should probably clarify a few things. We are going with an outfitter who is a good friend of my hunting partner. He is discounting the hunt because we are taking care of most of our own gear. I trust that the list he gave us is sufficient, however, I have heard from more than one sheep hunter who said there hunt, although successful, would have been more enjoyable if the guide would have had better equipment. I'm taking 50 rounds of ammo in case the rifle gets knocked off on the flight over. I will likely only pack 20-25 rounds. I hope to throw some lead at some wolves if given the chance.

So what the general consensus on down bag or synthetic bag. 2 pairs of pants or one pair

Cutter

No offense taken. Only reason I listed brands of my gear is in case someone has used a particular brand that failed them on AK sheep hunt.

Once again, thanks for every ones help. While I'm not new to backpack hunting, I am a first time sheep hunter and this is my first trip to AK.

Red face

I agree. Ditch the ****ty scope and binos. In fact, lend them to me for the hunting season and I will take good care of them! But you can bring everything and leave a lot in base camp like guys are saying. Then again, I had a guides assistants steal some of my gear I left in base camp which was mostly clothing but still annoying none the less!! Nice gear list though with top notch gear. Now just home for the luck part of it with weather, competition and a good guide.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Don't forget a sherpa or two to carry all that stuff .. lol

What no blue tarp... it wouldn't be an Alaska adventure without a blue plastic trap to cover your gear.

Good list, I actually copied it and cut it down to meet my needs.

Bring a belt. If its any kind of real sheep hunt, your pants wont fit by day 4 or 5.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Bring a belt. If its any kind of real sheep hunt, your pants wont fit by day 4 or 5.
    That's funny after my hunt I put the same blue jeans on to fly back home, with the belt at it's tightess hole I was able to pull them right down. Lost about 15lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast