Thread: Black vs Brown Bear hunting

Default Black vs Brown Bear hunting

I'm looking at buying a few books from the bookstore for my black bear hunt in september 09 & was wondering if the books available for hunting technique for brown bear would apply to black bear. I've never hunted bear & am doing an unguided hunt so the strategy in the books I purchase is important to me.

I recommend Tony Russ' "Bear Hunting in Alaska" for brown bear hunting. Another good one is "Bear Attacks" by Stephen Herroro, but only before you go hunting for them...actually best while hunkered down in the sleeping bag.

Default Another Vote for Tony

I'm reading Bear Hunting in Alaska by Tony Russ. A great book
    Steve

Default Bear Hunitng in Alska

So this will cover the strategy for a black bear hunt?

Default Bear

No. Bear hunting in Alaska only covers Browns and Grizzly.

Steve

What book do I order for black bear hunting

Default Hunting in Alaska

Try hunting in Alaska a compprehensive guide by Chris Baton. It has a section on Blackies. It covers most Alaskan game. A good read.

Steve

lots of good internet searches too.... info can be found everywhere.

Default Black bear hunting

Try driving around in may and june looking at southern exposed hills just below the snow line. It works better with a boat in the sound. Then, click, click, pull! Yee Haw boys, it's allmost time to get out and enjoy!!

Chris

black bear hunting is really pretty simple compared to brown bear hunting. like the above posted, get an area with bears and look in the places you can see, keep looking they'll be there eventually, play the wind, terrian and the behavior of the animal and point and click...pretty straight forward hunt, timing is crucial though as well.
    Where bouts you planning your hunt for? and whats your budget? that'll dictate alot of what you do.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

BRWNBR,

We are looking at hunting in unit 20 (thinking b or d) on a dropoff hunt for 10 days, the unit is still up for debate though. We can't afford the guided hunts, which is makeing it pretty tough to narrow down the area. We have just been reviewing the Harvest reports. What do you think of the above units & is September a good time of year. Really appreciate all the advice from all of you guys

(our budget is about 3,000-4,000 per person, plus clothing & all the other stuff we need)
    Charlie

I do deal much with unit 20, i know its a huge area, lots of timber, but some of the guys in here from fairbanks might be able to point you in a better direction.
    I'd say unit 16 is good in september, see black bears over that just about everytime you fly it, alot of unit 14/13/6/7/15 is all great for black bear in september and you can do some of that from a vehicle with great success. buddy of mine saw 53 black bears from cooperlanding down on the kenai peninsula one fall in three days, him and he boy each shot one. upper russian lakes, cooper lake, resurection trail, turnagin pass are all good places to find black bears.
    You've got a great budget going, you should be able to pull something off and have a great hunt!
    Flying out, diana lakes in unit 14 (west side) has some good places.
    dang just send me a PM and i'll tell you where i've seen good bear numbers that you can get to.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212