Thread: Charter Help!

Default Charter Help!

So... I am meeting the parents of my fiance for the first time and her dad is coming up here to do a little fishing and expects great things (From CA). Anyway, I am looking for some advice of choosing a decently priced charter, since I will be paying for the both of us. Although I have fished the state quite a bit from the shore I have never been out on the saltwater in a boat. I have looked around and have seen some pretty steep prices so far. Also open to any other suggestions...

Sometimes you get what you pay for. Even 1/2 day chicken shooters are going to suck two and a quarter per person out of you. Expect to pay 250 or more each plus gratuity, vehicle fuel to get there, fish packing fees, gratuity. Plan to drop a cool grand. You might be better off takin him to New Sagaya to buy some of FB's butt!

How'd you get suckered into paying for the both of ya anyhow? You are the poor soul who is takin his daughter off his hands for him - hope she comes with a good dowry!! LOL.

Calm his expectations. The average halibut in Cook Inlet was 14 or so pounds - this year I am hearing that it went up a bit to around 17 pounds. A lot of people come up with high expectations that 100 pounders are behind every rock...they aren't.

Don't go cheap on the deckhands - they typically get about $40 per trip from the boat owner and pay rent with the tips they get.

Finding 'the best' charter captain at a bargain rate just isn't ever going to happen - - not even on short notice.

Charters seem really expensive until you have your own boat Then again, boats are cheap compaired to marriage

I'd say find a reputable charter first, and pay what it cost. The guys with good reps cost as much as the also rans, but the difference in the experience is well worth getting on a boat with a good captain. Also look at a halibut/silver salmon combo. Personally I think silvers are way more fun to catch than halibut.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Ah - but there is the mystique when bottom fishing of not knowing for sure what is tugging at the end of the line and just how BIG it might be!

I have been looking at doing a combo trip, any idea of how much fish you can expect to pull in the full day option?

Get ahold of Marvin at Ebb Tide Charters. Member here and great guy. Just type in ebb tide charters alaska on your search engine and it will come up
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Get ahold of Marvin at Ebb Tide Charters. Member here and great guy. Just type in ebb tide charters alaska on your search engine and it will come up
    Awesome, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    How'd you get suckered into paying for the both of ya anyhow? You are the poor soul who is takin his daughter off his hands for him - hope she comes with a good dowry!! LOL..
    I am "meeting the parents" for the first time so trying to make a good impression...

I have fished out of Homer and Seward and both were great. Do the full day combo and get some friends to go with you so you control the boat usually 6 people. Get the halibut fast, move to salmon, then black bass or Rock. Check Whittier prices look better that is where I am going out of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    You might be better off takin him to New Sagaya to buy some of FB's butt!
    That doesn't sound appetizing at all!
    Go Big Red!

Whew - I don't imagine that it is too appetizing - I heard that some of them netters don't know how to scrape the bloodline - if you know what I mean! LOL..........

Quote Originally Posted by FishAddictAK View Post
    I am "meeting the parents" for the first time so trying to make a good impression...
    If you are trying to make a good impression, then let your future father-in-law catch more fish than you. But not too many more as that will make you look weak

My 28th anniversary is this weekend and my wife's family always fished together so maybe this is a good sign for you!

I have fished out of all three ports and my hands down favorite is Homer. The cheaper cost is secondary to me if the fishing is terrible. IMO better fish, better opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    alaskachuck, I was able to reach out to Marvin who was full for the times that I had open. However he was able to refer me to Polebenders who has got me all set up for my trip. I cannot wait, it should be awesome! Thanks again for the help!

Fishaddickak, You will be fishing a great boat and captain. Either Greg or Jim will be at the helm and both are great guys. enjoy your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Fishaddickak, You will be fishing a great boat and captain. Either Greg or Jim will be at the helm and both are great guys. enjoy your trip.
    Hey thanks Roland, it should be great time!