Thread: More breeds eligible to enter AKC retriever hunting tests

Default More breeds eligible to enter AKC retriever hunting tests

AKC's Board will be further discussing adding German Shorthaired Pointers, German Wirehaired Pointers, Vizslas, and Weimaraners to the list of breeds eligible to enter retriever hunting tests at their August meeting. This is the updated list of eligible breeds from http://www.akc.org/events/hunting_te...ble_breeds.cfm

Retriever Hunting Tests

Eligible Breeds

All dogs six months of age or older from the following breeds are eligible to participate in Retriever Hunting Tests:
    AKC Recognized Breeds
    • American Water Spaniels (effective 4/1/11)
    • Chesapeake Retrievers
    • Curly-Coated Retrievers
    • Flat-Coated Retrievers
    • Golden Retrievers
    • Labrador Retrievers
    • Irish Water Spaniels
    • Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers
    • Spinone Italiano (effective 7/1/11)
    • Standard Poodles
    • Wirehaired Pointing Griffon (effective 7/1/11)

• Dogs of these breeds recorded with the Purebred Alternative Listing Program/Indefinite Listing Privilege (PAL/ILP) or dogs with Conditional registration are eligible to participate.
    • Spayed and neutered dogs are eligible to participate.
    • *****es in season are not eligible to participate.
    • Dogs with Limited Registration are eligible to participate.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

I wonder if this will change the tests as well. Don't the PAL/ILP dogs have to be neutered/spayed?
    I recently found out that NAHRA allows mixed breed dogs to compete though they recieve a reward in a different catagory (who cares its a ribbon). That means rescued mixed breeds can still provide the same fun as the pure breds.

I've run in to some people in the show ring that are not happy with the pal/ilp programs. I could not find a good reason for them to be critical of a program that brings in more support.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

I thought so- in the form for Pal/Ilp it states
    Dogs must be distinguishable as a purebred dog of a breed that has full AKC registration status or FSS eligible breed.

Dogs must be 6 months of age or older.

Dogs must be spayed or neutered.

Neither this dog nor its parents are registered or identified anywhere as a breed other than that stated on this application

Will see if the tests change, but I don't have a problem with pointers/spaniels running the tests -- IF they do the work. They need to be held to the same standards & understand these are retriever hunting tests. So are retrievers going to be allowed to run spaniel or pointer hunt tests? It's up to each breed's parent club to request eligibility to run other AKC events.

Wonder what the beef is with PAL/ILP? Is it because the dogs have to be spayed/neutered? Or because some dogs don't really look like the breed listed on the certificate? Hmmm ...

This is VERY exciting! I hope that they decide to allow this.

As for the testing crossovers previously mentioned it might pertinent to know that all of the mentioned breeds are classified as versatile hunting dogs meaning that they can perform both upland work, and water work with the only mentionable difference being the established retrievers are flushers and the dogs up for consideration are pointers in their upland work ( yes of course there are several other differences or we wouldnt have these hunting styles and breeds)

I also believe that retrievers are able to compete in an upland test through UKC (I may have that wrong). Personally I like that my labs flush and my pointers point

I only see recognized pointing and setter breeds as elegable for Pointing tests for UKC.But nowhere do I see an acutal list other than the full list of recognized breeds. I know I have seen a list for retrievers at the UKC site. ...

I'm sorry, what I meant is that in UKC retrievers are permitted to work in an upland test which displays (the way I understand it) the dogs pointing skills. These same breeds that may become eligible are currently allowed to compete in an HRC retriever test too.

As a side note, I have only competed in NAHRA, NAVHDA, and AKC events so I am not clear on the workings of UKC events

The board has spoken 4 new breeds in AKC tests
    •American Water Spaniels (effective 4/1/11)
    •Chesapeake Retrievers
    •Curly-Coated Retrievers
    •Flat-Coated Retrievers
    •German Shorthaired Pointer (effective 9/1/11)
    •German Wirehaired Pointer (effective 9/1/11)
    •Golden Retrievers
    •Labrador Retrievers
    •Irish Water Spaniels
    •Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers
    •Spinone Italiano (effective 7/1/11)
    •Standard Poodles
    •Vizsla (effective 9/1/11)
    •Weimaraner (effective 9/1/11)
    •Wirehaired Pointing Griffon (effective 7/1/11)