Thread: raspberry transplanting question

Default raspberry transplanting question

Hi all...

I just discovered that I have some raspberries (assuming that they are the wild variety, given that we cleared and built our house) plants on our property around the house, that I hadn't noticed before. They are smallish in size, but healthy looking. One plant has some little raspberries on it now. I consider this to be like winning the lottery, because I've been dreaming of having raspberries here.

The problem - they are not in great spots. One is bound to get trampled, the other is by the fuel tank... What's the best way to transplant these to my desired location? Fall? Do they need some special soil added where they are planted to help out? Just wondering... Sun, shade, rocky, rich soil, etc?

Soldotna, ALASKA since '78

Raspberries transplant very well. But it's best to transplant in the Spring if you can. Sounds like they are still small, so you'd just prune them back by about 1/3, dig up the bush & root, and move it to the new spot. Set it in your new hole and mulch it up. They won't produce as well the first season, but as long as they have sun and drained soil, they'll grow just fine.

You could transplant now if you're not interested in getting any berries this year. Again, prune back about 1/3 and get rid of all the fruit that growing (get's the plant focused on roots and stems). Then transplant to your new spot.

As much sun as you can give them and the soil should be rich and well-drained (think forest floor, which is the natural habitat).
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I agree with Joat in general. But to add to it, raspberries are greedy feeder that love fertilizer - be it natural or chemical. Seriously, the more the better they will do. And they love sun and water. If you can give them those things, they will grow like crazy.

Delta Junction, AK

I placed my grass trimmings around the base of my transplanted rasberry plants this spring and they are growing great, produced berries this year. It is hard to kill rasberries from what I have witnessed. As stated earlier they can use lots of sunlight. Beware sucker starts sprouting up all over the place. I have to trim mine back from the original location as they are over running the garden. (probably the dumbest place I could have placed them in the first place.) Just break up the ground and dig up the transplants and stick them in the loose soil. They do great in Alaska.
    Good luck.

Meadow Lakes

wild raspberries don't grow very large that is the problem I have seen with them I scrounged and planted may years ago, there is no problem with how they grow they just don't produce large berries at least not in quantity. I suggest locating someone with a good strain the produces large barries. Where are you located maybe we can help located some for you.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Great info here on raspberry transplanting.