Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian River Late Run

Default Russian River Late Run

Just curious what others are thinking about the late run, is it time to panic yet?

Why, there's 1,000,000 sockeye in Skilak Lake. They just haven't moved out of the lake, this has happened before.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Just curious what others are thinking about the late run, is it time to panic yet?
    Panic....My arm is sore from the past weeks. Time to rest!

Is it time to panic yet?
    Sure!! Seems like as good a time as any!!!
    I'll start.
    How's that?

Default It suxks!

Run is even worse than last year - and last year it got shut down early as you may recall. If you check the counts it hasn't been this bad in quite a while. Letting me comm guys catch all the fish in the early run may prove to be another wipe-out for us on the upper river.

Of course as long as the escapement figures are met what happens on the upper river really does not matter - it was a great year for the comm guys and not bad on the lower river. Who cares about all the people that use the upper river - I haven't heard a work of concern from anyone!

Hope I'm wrong about the fish - we'll see - but a lot of the people that own businesses on the upper river are obviously hurting already and no one seems to care.

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Run is even worse than last year - and last year it got shut down early as you may recall.
    THIS years run is in the top 10 in regards to overall volume. Your comparison is invalid. Last year it was shut down, THIS year the bag limit was doubled. 1+1 does not equal 3 no matter how many times you do the math.

If you check the counts it hasn't been this bad in quite a while.
    The fish are holding in Skilak, common knowledge. You can't count what hasn't moved past the weir yet.

Letting me comm guys catch all the fish in the early run may prove to be another wipe-out for us on the upper river.
    Where to begin on that asinine comment? How does the (false) claim that the "commercial guys" caught "all" (HA!!!!) the fish in the first run have ANY bearing on the second run? Oh, wait, it doesn't. It's simply more lamentations and flatulent oration based on nothing more than ignorance and sour grapes.

Of course as long as the escapement figures are met what happens on the upper river really does not matter
    A near record run....And you are saying (with a straight face) that escapement may not be met? Seriously? The Upper has a stream of blushed fish from the first run (that also held in the lake for quite a while) moving through. The sky isn't falling, there aren't any wolves dressed like Granny waiting for a basket to be delivered, and bunnies don't deliver chocolates either....

- it was a great year for the comm guys and not bad on the lower river.
    Yeah, then that huge mass of fish cleared naptown rapids and swam into a wormhole, magically transporting them to a parallel universe.....Makes about as much sense as anything you've posted on the issue to date....

Who cares about all the people that use the upper river
    Quite a number of us do. However, most of us have the ability to recognize that a near record run has stalled in Skilak, as they have in other years. The Upper is running clear and low based on previous years. Sockeye are notoriously finicky about entering rivers when the conditions are ideal for them to do so. This has nothing with the "evil" Commercial Fisherman, the "Diabolical" Biologists, or the Guy on the Grassy Knoll. It has everything to do with water levels, temperature, natural cycles, and other factors both unknown, and beyond the control of Man.

- I haven't heard a work of concern from anyone!
    Maybe because everyone else has the ability to see past the end of their nose....

Hope I'm wrong about the fish
    Psssst....You are.

but a lot of the people that own businesses on the upper river are obviously hurting already and no one seems to care.
    Really? A few calls down there show bookings with the guides are as good, if not better, than in recent years. The Kingfisher is hopping nightly, Wildmans parking lot is packed, and every business I drive past echoes with the ringing of cash registers.

We get it tvf- You couldn't catch a sockeye this year. Some folks can't find their buttocks with both hands. Doesn't mean that there is a conspiracy, or a subversive grab for buttocks by the Commercial Buttocks Harvesters....It simply means some folks need to blame ANY and EVERYone they can conjure up to assuage their own inadequacies.

Nature has a way of letting us all know we are merely part of the game and not the rule makers every now and again. Suck it up buttercup.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

dude, rep. +2 to AlaskaHippie, fishing has been great! Wish I could catch some more! back to work on the slope.

Wink Bingo . .

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    . . We get it tvf- You couldn't catch a sockeye this year. Some folks can't find their buttocks with both hands. Doesn't mean that there is a conspiracy, or a subversive grab for buttocks by the Commercial Buttocks Harvesters....It simply means some folks need to blame ANY and EVERYone they can conjure up to assuage their own inadequacies. . .
    We agree again, Hippie . . . . may not be the Rapture but it might be the Millennium.

wow. i haven't seen a smack-down like that since ike & tina. Well played.

*Listens to the -tap-tap-typing-...*

This should oughta be interestin'.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Default Go get em!

A tonnnn of fish enetered today.... Stacked and thick! Go get em!

Sorry akhippie, I agree with you and you obvoiusly are knowledgable... but... lay off the caffeine just a little. The dude just had an opinion (although mis-guided)

Quote Originally Posted by ak_russ View Post
    A tonnnn of fish enetered today.... Stacked and thick! Go get em!
    W-w-w-w-w-wait a dern second.....You mean they escaped both the Wormhole AND the Villainous Commercial Fleet?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan2079 View Post
    Sorry akhippie, I agree with you and you obvoiusly are knowledgable... but... lay off the caffeine just a little. The dude just had an opinion (although mis-guided)
    Dude, I only had 2 cups....

You should see what happens when I post whilst shotgunning Red Bulls & chewing on Cocoa Leaves...... <grin>

Thanks Hippie for making my short break from work fun.
    So TV would you like some smoked red salmon with your Whine?

Thanks AKhippie, I didn't have the time or mental strength to respond to the "sky is falling" question and responses. The Kenai is in OVER ESCAPEMENT right now people! How did the comm. guys ruin the fishery?

"Who cares about all the people that use the upper river - I haven't heard a work of concern from anyone!"

No one is concerned because there is nothing to be concerned about! As mentioned repeatedly, hundreds of thousands of sockeye are in Skilak and they will move up river when the conditions are conducive. PATIENCE.......
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

...oh how I hope there is a word limit on this forum if and when that happens

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Dude, I only had 2 cups....

You should see what happens when I post whilst shotgunning Red Bulls & chewing on Cocoa Leaves...... <grin>

Quote Originally Posted by Dan2079 View Post
    ...oh how I hope there is a word limit on this forum if and when that happens
    BTDT.

There is a word limit....But it takes a keg of Red Bull to achieve it.....

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCo...displayResults

Late run sockeye fish count: Aug-01 Day: 21,714 total to date: 1,438,848 Water Level 0

At this time last year: Day: 19,446 Total to date: 1,006,320

Yep, by all means time to panic If they are not at the upper river yet, they soon will be.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    No one is concerned because there is nothing to be concerned about! As mentioned repeatedly, hundreds of thousands of sockeye are in Skilak and they will move up river when the conditions are conducive. PATIENCE.......
    I figured the question would spur some interesting conversation...

Mostly curious about the fish holding in the lake, seemed like everyone kept saying that last year and then they either never came out our came out and shot up river super fast.

Sounds like the prevailing thought is that they may hold an shoot this year?

Thanks in advance for the entertainment!

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast