Thread: wolves around juneau

Default wolves around juneau

New to alaska hunting and wanting to start with a wolf. I live in Juneau and wondering what the chances are that I can get one. Thanks~Aimee

Aimee - First of all, welcome to the forums! It's always great to have new faces among the crowd.

As for wolves, I've never hunted the Junea area, so I can't comment on the particulars, but... From my personal experience, wolves are more of an opportunistic target. Some people are skilled and knowledgable enough to hunt them as a primary target, but most wolves are killed while hunting other species such as caribou or deer. Perhaps you can hook up with some skilled predator callers and give it a shot, though. Take a look over on the trapping forum. Those fellas discuss predator calling at times, and some of them have been successful in targeting wolves.

As for your first hunt, I would personally recommend spring black bear or deer in the fall. Both of these species offer relatively high success rates in Southeast and both can put some tasty meat in the freezer.

Also, I would suggest that you do a search through the forum archives and read what others have written about hunting in SE. You may find some info about wolf hunting down there, and I'm certain that you'll find volumes of writing about deer and bear hunting in your neck of the woods.

-Brian

theres a pretty big pack up nugget creek and also a pretty big pack in the spaulding meadow area, I'd bet that they'd be pretty hard to hunt, trapping is probably a much better option
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Talking

new2alaska,
    Welcome to rain country. Interesting you would want to hunt wolfs in Juneau when you have coastal brown bear,sitka blacktail deer,goat,moose,and great black bear some elk not far away blue grouse,patarmigan and waterfowl. What ever you do , do not shoot the black wolf near the Mendenhall glacier. The greenies will hang you from the
    capital flag pole.
    goldbelt

Default Wolf Report

Did You Ever Get To Kill A Wolf? Or See Any?

yeah there are wolves in juneau. as AKpowdermonkey said. traping would be the best way. I would defitanly try something else first, black bear would be easy. I would go for sitka black tails (Aguest 1st -dec. 31) they taste great and are prety easy to hunt ( walk around till you see one). also if you want to try smaller game blue grouse (hooters). they show up in the spring just follow the sound and they'll be up in a tree. then ducks in the fall ( love to get in sea duck hunting its a blast)

Quote Originally Posted by goldbelt View Post
    do not shoot the black wolf near the Mendenhall glacier. The greenies will hang you from the
    capital flag pole.
    yeah they will but that wolf SHOULD BE SHOT it has no fear of man and even though its playing nice right now in the future I could see it attacking someone.
    sorry about double post maybe I should read the whole page before I write a response.

didn't you see it eating the pug, that was funny I think it would be legal to take with a bow as long as you were a quarter mile from the loop road.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

How did you hear about the wolves in Nugget creek and spaulding meadows? I know they are around there sometimes but VERY rarely, it usually one pack that works the area down to Point Bishop and Taku River - Dont you think if there were 2 large packs around we would hear about A LOT more sightings and that the black wolf wouldnt be hanging out on the lake by itself?

I know of 2 packs in the Juneau area that have been confirmed by F&G both of which are in legal areas. Both of which I will not divulge either due to enough hunting pressure from everyone else on other animals - word gets around quick in this town :P

Thumbs down NOT funny

AK_PM,

NOT a funny picture.

We pug owners are very sensitive about these things. I was traumatized for a week after seeing those photos. And my pugs were in even worse shape -- I had to hand-feed them tidbits of beef for 15 days to get them over the shock.

The only person who deserves to be strung from the flagpoles in front of our Capitol is the <expletive deleted> who took his precious little rump roast of a dog out there to play with a wolf!

I'd like to shoot that wolf - but I'm not stupid enough to do it. I dont want THAT kind of celebrity status in Juneau....

mmmm, a black wolf eh?