Thread: Seward Highway Baiting

Default Seward Highway Baiting

Hello all. Does anyone know about the " Nature Trail " that is being built at around milepost 72 of the Seward Hiway.? It is on the east side of the road. Quite a bit of work is involved. Question; will this be a " established trail/traihead " so no baiting within one mile. Sure will wreck my bait station. I have been in the area for 5 years. I hate to get run off. Thanx in advance.

I think its a 1/4 mile, not 1 mile. That might help

NebraskaJoe: Suggest you stop in at the job site and take a look at their SWPPP as it would identify the level of improvements. Get a copy of the plan set....(if the job was bid, their are likley plan sets and they may cost some money). If no SWPPP, talk to someone involved at the project. If you can get a set of plans, then go to fish and game to get their determination (with respect to the trail head and trail).

Thanx to those that replied. Over 200 plus hit to this thread and not one person knows abou this project.! I am thinking that maybe it is an extension of the historic Iditarod Trail plan. ? Check out the new bridges and trails at Bertha Creek and the south side of Turnagin Pass. If this is so it will shut down a lot of area,s to bait in. It will also further others to encroach on any open area,s ie: Hope Road. It seems that maybe the state of Ak and the federal BLM/National Forest folks want to make the entire Seward hiway from Anchorage to Seward a vast stretch of scenic byway!! Maybe I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaJoe View Post

It seems that maybe the state of Ak and the federal BLM/National Forest folks want to make the entire Seward hiway from Anchorage to Seward a vast stretch of scenic byway!! Maybe I am wrong.
    I don't think you are wrong.............However there are thousands of tourists per day that are bussed or drive through that area everyday, versus what 5 to 9 bear baiter's between Ingram Creek & Canyon Creek. About 8 years ago they tried to sell/lease that area for a truck stop tourist mall, restaurant. There were no nibbles. Then they tried to lease the Canyon Creek area for the same application, no joy. There are 7 public poopers in that area, yearly cost for pumping and cleaning.........$77,000.00 "EACH".

I have brought my bear bait trail cam pictures to the Dept. of Fish/Game in Anchorage to show them the large amount of brown bear activity in unit 7. Sometimes 2 or 3 at a time. I suggested that maybe the state should have an additional tag hunt for brown bear. I was flat out told (his opinion) that the state values those bear more alive for possible tourist sighting than a dead bear at my hands. Also that "maybe I should find another spot to bait".